2e Intimidate Using Str Instead of Cha

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

2e Intimidate Using Str Instead of Cha

Postby DarkMaster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

I want to make a feat that let's a character use strength instead charisma, because, well, you don't have to be very charismatic to threaten to punch someone in the face. What I was wondering, then, is there a way to make the feat change the way intimidate's bonus is read out on the feat?

Oh, also, the Accurate power feat doesn't seem to be counted towards trade offs in hero lab so no matter how many ranks you have you'll never be counted as being traded off too far.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm also trying to make a flaw that reduces attack bonus so I can play with trade-offs on a power by power basis the other way. But I can't figure out the scripts for it.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: 2e Intimidate Using Str Instead of Cha

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 am

Huh. Accurate counts against tradeoffs for me. Could you give an example of what you're doing? It might not work properly on NPCs — there was at one point a bug where PL was being incorrectly calculate for feats that affected a trade off — but it should work for feats.

Regarding Strength for intimidate, that's a bit trickier. You'd probably have to read in the attribute values for Charisma and Strength and then apply those modifiers. IIRC, take a look at the Mighty power feat and the Elongation power to see how to read attribute values and how to apply skill modifiers.

And lastly, you should be able to build an "inaccurate" drawback based off of Accurate. I don't have the program in front of me, but have you looked at the Eval Script for Accurate?

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 am

Weird, it's not doing it for me anymore. I was working with a character who had low attack bonuses normally and handled trading off in the individual powers. It's possible I was just miscounting in my head.

As for inaccurate, I did, I actually tried copying Accurate's Eval Script and altering it but that's not working for me so far and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 am

Okay, now it's happening again, I think I can see why, okay, say I have 6 base attack, and then attack focus (Range) 4, then I have a rank 9 blast with accurate 3, for a total trade of of 1 to 6, hero lab doesn't seem to recognize that everything in there stacks and doesn't give a warning.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Huh. Interestingly enough the debug fields indicate that it recognizes that the attack is at +5 over PL on attack and -1 under for effect, and even notes that you'd have to be PL 13 to not have an attack tradeoff, but it indeed does not currently reflect the bonus on the special tab. It does note under errors that "Blast 9: Attack bonus exceeds Power Level by 5". It doesn't indicate a tradeoff, but that's pretty normal for attack powers.

Dropbox link for Inaccurate Drawback

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:55 pm

And Imposing Presence to use your Strength bonus for Intimidate.

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Thank you muchly Fuzzy, I appreciate it.

mageofthesands
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mageofthesands » Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm

I know this thread is old, but ... How do you use that custom file? I haven't been able to figure out how to import it.

Also, how did you make it? Is there a place to check for Hero Lab modification?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu May 09, 2013 4:23 am

Drop it into your Game System Data folder. By default, on Windows and for 3E, that's "C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\mutants3" but you can also get to it by opening HeroLab in your given game system and going to Tools / Explore Folders / Explore Game System Data folder. It will automatically load every time.

Editing is done via the Editor, available via Tools / Launch Editor. I don't remember how to invoke the tutorial from the menus, but it's available in your Game System Data folder under "authoring\editor.htm". Most of the time, I try to find a power that does what I want, do a "New (Copy)" on it, and then peer through its code.

There really isn't a central repository for user data files. Cheaseweasel from the Lone Wolf Forums stores some here, but he doesn't do Mutants and Masterminds currently. I usually post mine in the forums.

mageofthesands
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mageofthesands » Thu May 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Hmm. Neither method works. When dropped into the data folder, and I launch Hero Lab's Mutants3 part, it complains that it can't load due to errors. It then loads up in recovery mode. Trying to use the Tools method gets me to the Explore part, but when I choose a file, all it does is bring up Windows asking me what program to open the file with.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 pm

mageofthesands wrote:Hmm. Neither method works. When dropped into the data folder, and I launch Hero Lab's Mutants3 part, it complains that it can't load due to errors. It then loads up in recovery mode. Trying to use the Tools method gets me to the Explore part, but when I choose a file, all it does is bring up Windows asking me what program to open the file with.

:) The reason why Imposing Presence doesn't work is that's a 2E file.

mageofthesands
Henchman
Henchman

Postby mageofthesands » Thu May 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Ah. I misunderstood the thread. I thought it was about porting the 2e feat into a 3e advantage.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 am

mageofthesands wrote:Ah. I misunderstood the thread. I thought it was about porting the 2e feat into a 3e advantage.

{nods} I had forgotten, myself, and was puzzled as to why it wasn't loading.

I gave a quick try at converting it to 3E last night, but they made some changes to how stats get modified, and I gave up after a bit. The syntax changed for accessing a hero's abilities. And there's a lot more hidden where you can't casually access it inside scripts and the like.

Return to “Hero Lab”