Tring to See the Bright Side of Hero Lab

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Tring to See the Bright Side of Hero Lab

Postby Spectrum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Okay..

I'm finally taking a look at HeroLab as an effort to come further into the community. I've been using an Excel sheet to handle the numbermancy for me. I have built it to manipulate the internal math and it works pretty well for me.

Hopefully, I'm completely missing things but Herolab is muuuuuch more difficult to use. I can't shift attribute stats to adjust the points of saves and skills. I keep having to shift between tabs in order to do anything. it's just slower and less agile.

Is this just a matter of learning to compensate for the differences?

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Tring to See the Bright Side of Hero Lab

Postby Arkrite » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:36 pm

I suspect the "slower and less agile" may be because you've moved from something where you're comfortable with and know the layout of then switched to a new program where you're having to hunt around for everything as you're learning it.
That stuff always throws me a for a loop.

But without knowing about the excel file you use it's just me making a rather broad assumption.
Sorry.

I am curious to know what problems you are having with the stats.
You say you're adjusting stats to alter skill bonuses and saves but it's not working?

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback.I suspect that you're right. There is a reason why Hero Lab is so popular. I just need to find it.

Its something that I came up with so that I could do adjustments quickly. It would be nice to be able to send tables through ATT. I'll try to figure out an alternate way of doing it.

Very roughly, I have saves and skills set up so that they use the attributes as a base which is subtracted from the end rank, multiplied by a modifier, etc..

So, +10 Treatment - 5 Int=5 *.5 = 2.5pp

It looks like Hero Lab doesn't calculate that relationship. So if I go from Int 5 to Int 6, it'll make a +11 rather than 2pp.

Am I making any sense here?

Thanks again!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:13 pm

{nods} I see what you have your sheet rigged to do. I'll admit that I don't know if I'd do the same with my own sheets. :) Generally, when I raise an attribute, I expect all of the skills associated with it to go up.

As for the advantages of Hero Lab, for me, the main draw is the wide variety of supplements available via the Ultimate Power expansion. Having all of the feats and such in there means I can quickly see where a power came from, and a quick description, rather than having do page through all of the PDFs to find it. The fact that so many of the NPCs from the books have been added to the stock list is just gravy.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm

That makes a lot of sense. I tend to see saves, skills and some advantages as various limitations on attribs. I guess its the HERO background coming through.

Return to “Hero Lab”