Stacks with Equipment

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Uthanar
Cohort
Cohort

Stacks with Equipment

Postby Uthanar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm

How do I get a power to stack with the effect of using equipment?

I want to have a hero using a gun, but when he uses 2 guns he fights better.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Stacks with Equipment

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 am

Honestly, the rules state that equipment bonuses don't stack with powers, so they implemented it that way.

Uthanar
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Uthanar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 am

Wait...so a Laser Sight only provides a bonus to someone who has a +0 or negative to hit roll?
Page 219 defines bonus as "bonus: A positive modifier to a die roll."

While 162 seems to have the passage that you are referring to "Equipment bonuses are limited compared to the bonuses granted by other effects. Generally, they do not stack with each other or other types of bonuses, only the highest bonus applies. Thus a hero with a high Protection bonus doesn’t get much, if any, advantage from wearing a bulletproof vest. The only exception to this is Strength-based weapons, and there are limits on them as well (see Melee Weapons, later in this chapter)."

Finally, Laser Sight says "A laser sight projects a non-damaging laser beam showing where the weapon is aimed. This grants a Accurate 1 to the weapon it’s attached, which grants a +2 bonus on attack checks with that weapon."

I don't believe that, it is just what came to my mind as I started reading the passage on 162. Thanks for the information FuzzyBoots!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Feats are fine, with Defensive Roll specifically stacking. I believe that Steve also OKed the Tough feat from Warriors and Warlocks. But yes, the idea is that Superman doesn't benefit from wearing a bullet-proof vest. And yes, that means that feats such as Throwing Mastery and Attack Specialization also apply to equipment, even if they're power-based. Oh, and Constitution, even Enhanced Constitution, stacks.

As for the Laser Sight, that's not considered to be a power either. And yeah, a +2 makes as much sense or more sense than the +1. Personally, I tend to allow Equipment to have up to 1 rank of Improved Critical or Accurate to model the idea that you have a particularly keen or accurate weapon, but I'm a bit loathe to go past that. After all, it is supposed to be mundane "off the rack" equipment.

Return to “Hero Lab”