Paragons Icon in hero lab

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Teluriel
Bystander
Bystander

Paragons Icon in hero lab

Postby Teluriel » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Im having problems creating this hero in hero labs. For those that dont know her: she uses an array (a form), but has multiple alternate arrays which she can switch with.
Each form has his own distinc powers, which she she can use to the full extent and independant from each other.

Im getting multiple errors. Eg protection, because the program states you cant have a permanent power as an alternate.
I also needed to link each power to each other within one alternate form

Anyone any ideas?

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Paragons Icon in hero lab

Postby insaniac99 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:51 am

If I understand you correctly, you need to use the "Multiple Effects" container instead of an array.

Teluriel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Teluriel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:39 am

This might help in explaining in what I'm trying to accomplish :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27583&hilit=icon&start=1695

I'll try your suggestions once I get home: I just bought the thing and I'm still learning.

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:57 am

that write-up was written up as an array with a multiple effects container being in each slot. I would suggest making a multiple effects container and then putting alternate effects options on that container that are also multiple effects. I'm not sure it should really make a difference, but you might try it. I'm away from my Hero Lab computer or I'd try it for you.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

Confirmed that you can alt the multiple powers container without getting any complaints about the permanent powers in it in 3E. It works in 2E as well with the Containers, and was explicitly noted as allowed in Ultimate Power.

Incidentally, this dodge becomes necessary for nested arrays. As I understand it, there was a bit of housekeeping in terms of data formats that made them stop working despite being rules legal, but if you add insulation in the form of a Container, it works again. Personally, I suspect it has to do with a known bug is the most common schema generators/analyzers which don't allow you to nest an item of type A directly within an item of type A, but I could, of course, be wrong.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 am

I'm trying to replicate what you describe using a base array and making each array slot an Alternate Form, and I'm not getting any errors about permanent powers. I figure Alt Form is essentially Multiple Effects with an Activation pulldown, but I don't dig around in the back end to know if there's more to it than that. I know it lights up if you don't pick an action for Activation, but otherwise all is good.

I do know it can be easy to get mixed up in all the alternate alternates. Maybe you've just nested some stuff in there in a weird way.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Teluriel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Teluriel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:36 pm

If someone could send me a .por file with two examples, that would be great...just so i get an example. I'm using 2e edition.

Cheers for the help guys

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Sorry, I was using 3e so my results may not mesh. FuzzyBoots is the 2e guru. :)
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Teluriel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Teluriel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:09 pm

Dont know the layout from 2ndto 3d edition, but i just maybe need a step by step tutorial pn how to handle it

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 am

Ah. Well, one option is to use the official 2E writeup within the Paragons rulebook. :mrgreen:

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:00 pm

To do it in Hero Lab, you have two options:
a) Set up the Container (or Alternate Form) for the base form, and then do the rest as APs.
b) Make use of the extant framework for Alternate Form to contain additional forms within it.

The former is a bit more work on your part, particularly if you're not using Containers from Ultimate Power. The second is simpler.

For A:
1) Click on "Click to add additional powers"
2) Select Alternate Form
3) Click on "Click to add a new alternate form"
4) You'll probably want to simply select Alternate Form for no template.
5) Add powers.
6) Exit out to the Alternate Form base power.
7) Click on "Click to add an alternate power"
8) Continue from step 2, but for step 6, make sure you step down to the base power.

For B:
As above, but for step 7, just click on "Click to add another Alternate Form as an Alternate Power"

Return to “Hero Lab”