What is wrong with these Defenses?

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Uthanar
Cohort
Cohort

What is wrong with these Defenses?

Postby Uthanar » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Just bought a MnM license for Hero Lab. I have a PL 8 character with a Sta of 9 so minimum Fort and Toughness are 9. I have not modified any of my Defenses at this time and so they are Dodge 3, Parry 5, Fort 9, Tough 9, Will 1. Both Fort and Toughness are telling me that they are too high for the PL of the campaign, but I'm not seeing that they should be. What am I doing wrong?

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: What is wrong with these Defenses?

Postby Aerlock » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Uthanar wrote:Just bought a MnM license for Hero Lab. I have a PL 8 character with a Sta of 9 so minimum Fort and Toughness are 9. I have not modified any of my Defenses at this time and so they are Dodge 3, Parry 5, Fort 9, Tough 9, Will 1. Both Fort and Toughness are telling me that they are too high for the PL of the campaign, but I'm not seeing that they should be. What am I doing wrong?

I'm betting the Arrows next to those Defenses are Purple and double ended, correct? Read the second line of that pop-up.

This arrow means that there is a trade-off going on. Normally all defenses are limited to PL, but you can do certain trade-offs to exceed the power level if it meets the character concept. These trade-offs are in pairs: Fortitude and Will, Toughness and Dodge, Toughness and Parry. The totals of each pair cannot exceed 2 x PL which in your example is 16. You'll notice Toughness in there twice, this means that raising or lowering Toughness above or below PL affects the limits on the other two saves. In your example with a Toughness of 9 your Parry and Dodge are now limited to 7 each.

This all make sense?

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

Uthanar
Cohort
Cohort

Re: What is wrong with these Defenses?

Postby Uthanar » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Completely follow now. Was worried I was doing something wrong on it and not following (though system wise didn't see what it was). Thanks much for the reply!

Return to “Hero Lab”