Adding New Conditions

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Reality
Bystander
Bystander

Adding New Conditions

Postby Reality » Tue May 15, 2012 6:23 pm

I consider Afflictions resulting in a Transform a little hard to conceive. None of the 1st and 2nd Degree options appeal to me. I picture a Transforming Affliction changing the target a little each Degree. So I want to add two new Conditions to Hero Lab using the Editor: Adjust and Alter.

Adjust: Cosmetically change the target in some way (eye color, hair length, make their fire blast blue instead of yellow, etc).

Alter: Minorly change the target (alter a power's descriptor, adjust Traits by no more than 50%, etc).

Transform: The complete change occurs.

To give you an idea of what I mean, let's say someone uses a Transform on Batman to turn him into an octopus. On a 1st Degree success, Batman gets some suction cups along his arms and legs, and his head elongates slightly. On a 2nd Degree success, Batman gains tentacles in place of his limbs and looks like a 50% human, 50% octopus. He suffers -5 Circumstance to all of his physical Traits due to the change. Only on a 3rd Degree of success would Batman turn completely octopus.

I created Adjust but couldn't get it to appear anywhere for me to use it. So how do I construct these additional Conditions so that they actually appear in the Affliction Power's 1st and 2nd Degree slots? How do I ensure that they appear in the Conditions list in the Adjust tab?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Adding New Conditions

Postby JDRook » Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 am

If you want to just make your own Conditions for the Affliction effect in HeroLab, there is a Customize extra that allows you to simply fill in the blanks.

As for alternate conditions, there are a few things in the Power Profiles that could help you, too. For instance, if you don't like the 1st and 2nd degree options that you could combine with 3rd degree Transform, you could use the new Limit (Third degree only) for -1/rank. Also, your custom conditions are similar to the optional conditions for Illusion from the Illusion Profile.

I don't mean to dissuade you from retooling the 3e rules or messing with the HeroLab code; if you have the skills and the drive, more power to you. :) I just wanted to point out there are simpler ways just in case you haven't considered them yet.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “Hero Lab”