Reduced Trait

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Reduced Trait

Postby Aerlock » Fri May 11, 2012 2:26 pm

I am using the demo and trying to model a battlesuit that hinders the characters Dex and Close Combat abilities. I'm trying to use Enhanced Trait but it is insisting that I can't have negative points in the Enhanced Trait power and assigning it a cost of 1 pt. How do I work around this?

- Aerlock
awww...I don't have a signature :(
But I do have character(s)!

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Reduced Trait

Postby Bombaatu » Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 pm

There is a Limitation exclusively for Enhanced Trait called Reduced Trait that does what you want. Within Enhanced Trait's Enhancement & Limitation list, it should be at or towards the top, colored green.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Tue May 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Bombaatu wrote:There is a Limitation exclusively for Enhanced Trait called Reduced Trait that does what you want. Within Enhanced Trait's Enhancement & Limitation list, it should be at or towards the top, colored green.

Hrmm, I'll have to take another look. I didn't see that before.

- Aerlock

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Aerlock wrote:
Bombaatu wrote:There is a Limitation exclusively for Enhanced Trait called Reduced Trait that does what you want. Within Enhanced Trait's Enhancement & Limitation list, it should be at or towards the top, colored green.

Honestly... I don't see it now.

Part of the problem is that, somewhere along the line, Wolf Lair hardocded the rule that no power could cost less than 1 pp. Unfortunately, that runs afoul of situations where you really want to have negative points because you're lowering a trait... if you have any Enhanced Traits, you can tie in the reduction, so long as that doesn't reduce the total to less than 1 pp. Otherwise, you're a bit out of luck.

Aerlock
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Aerlock » Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:
Aerlock wrote:

Honestly... I don't see it now.

Part of the problem is that, somewhere along the line, Wolf Lair hardocded the rule that no power could cost less than 1 pp. Unfortunately, that runs afoul of situations where you really want to have negative points because you're lowering a trait... if you have any Enhanced Traits, you can tie in the reduction, so long as that doesn't reduce the total to less than 1 pp. Otherwise, you're a bit out of luck.

Yeah that's the issue I'm running into right now. I'm trying to reduce a couple traits and link it to Growth so I can not break PL. I've been building it in HL without the Reduced Trait and then manually adding Reduced Trait on my write-ups. It's been a bit annoying to say the least.

- Aerlock

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Wed May 16, 2012 6:06 am

Sorry - I misread the first post.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 am

Aerlock wrote: I'm trying to reduce a couple traits and link it to Growth so I can not break PL. I've been building it in HL without the Reduced Trait and then manually adding Reduced Trait on my write-ups. It's been a bit annoying to say the least.

- Aerlock

Does the battlesuit give any ability bonuses outside of Growth, and do they total more than the Reduced Traits? If so, you could just package those bonuses with the Reduced Traits altogether in the Enhanced Trait effect.

Enhanced Trait 27 (Traits: Strength +10, Stamina +10, Dexterity -5, Close Combat -6) - 27p

If the suit gets all its bonuses from Growth, I'd suggest not using Growth and just add its components using Enhanced Trait.

Large Suit minus Flexibility: Enhanced Trait 1 (Traits: Strength +4, Stamina +4, Intimidation +2, Stealth -4, Dodge -2, Parry -2, Dexterity -4, Close Combat -4) - 1p

Personally I think packaged Growth is more trouble than it's worth sometimes.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “Hero Lab”