Find a new software devloper.

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Find a new software devloper.

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Personally, I like the way Hero Lab works. However, I would NOT suggest anyone buy it. Any little changes to your operating system requires that you get a license reassigned. All I did was pull some recovered files out of the old Windows 7 operating system after a a reinstall and then a license reassign, and now I have to wait 1-3 BUSINESS DAYS to get my license reassigned for use on the same computer.

I am unconcerned with their concerns about piracy. What I AM concerned about is that a product that I PAID for is consistently unavailable to me because of their concerns about piracy. The hassle involved with Hero Lab is quickly outweighing the benefits of the program.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Find a new software devloper.

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, but troubles like yours are generally very rare (the big exception being the update they did not so long ago involving changing the folders around which had a bug which got fixed within a week), and Lone Wolf is good about addressing the license issues in my experience. The license reassignment questions are generally popped to the top of the queue and dealt with within a day.

Regarding technical limitations, if you'd like I can dig up the post Rob (their president) made regarding the various approaches they've taken and the issues they've had. In my experience, it's been top rate. My Windows and Steam installations have been more prone to forcing me to contact technical support than Hero Lab. I take it from your statement that it's unavailable "consistently" that you run into this problem more frequently than I do. I'll assume that you've been sharing the details of what you've been doing (the copying around of files, partial re-installs, and such) so that they know why the error is happening and can try to address it.

Lastly, it's a sad reality that Lone Wolf has figures showing that a piracy solution is necessary, again a post I can look up if you'd like. They even occasionally have people discussing sharing a copy with their gaming group while in line to purchase the software. Again, I personally feel like they did a good job creating a mechanism which is generally unobtrusive.

^_^ Oh, and incidentally, I come from Ashland, KY, just a few miles down the road from your location. Did you go to Russell High School?

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm

Really?
I never had any problems like that when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.
And any time I've had problems I've gotten a response from them within the first day, if not the first couple hours.

I'm also wondering how often you're reinstalling/pulling old files? You say these problems are happening consistantly but I've never had any of the problems you're listing. How often is it happening and what, exactly, sets it off?

If it's anything other than piracy prevention it could be resolved.
If it is piracy prevention, well, at least this form is less obtrusive than some options out there. It's easy to say that no program should have any piracy prevention up untill it's your own software out there, then you start to get upset when everybody starts stealing what you worked hard to make and maintain.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 pm

I had to reinstall Windows 7. I got a license reassigned and every thing was cool. I found out how to recover my old files from before the issue. When I dropped the files into "My Documents" the license key stopped working.

I'm not originally from the Ashland area, but married two women from Russell/Flatwoods. Both of my sons attended Russell though.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm afraid you're going to find that the problems you've had here are rare enough its unlikely Green Ronin is going to pull the license on what, to the best of my knowledge, has been a pretty successful partnership with Lone Wolf just because of it. If that's upsetting, that's as it is.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:55 pm

I figured as much. I however will warn my friends away from it.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Out of curiosity, has it happened other than this once? You said something about it being consistently unavailable, so I was curious if this was a recurring thing.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:45 pm

It happened a couple of times due to different reasons, mainly from originally converting from Korean Windows to English Windows.

Thrincold
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Thrincold » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:54 pm

cobalt-blue wrote:It happened a couple of times due to different reasons, mainly from originally converting from Korean Windows to English Windows.

So through a multitude of changes to the OS of your system, you're blaming the software developer for issues you create? I dont' get this. I made sure to re-assign all my adobe, microsoft, herolab, steam, and other licences just to run an upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Ultimate, knowing there could be issues. How is it the developer's fault if you tinker and break things?

Not to mention, restoring files still held on the HDD can often mess with current data, it is a known fact. Know what you are doing before you tinker, or do so in a VM, dont' blame others for your mistakes.

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:18 pm

No, I wasn't tinkering. I reapplied for a license after the upgrade, and it worked fine after that. Then I recovered the builds I had done. Just like I recovered my Daz builds. The fact that I had to reapply for a license I already bought is bad enough. The fact that it crashed again later just rubs salt in the wound. I didn't even drop the files into hero lab, but into "MY Documents". That should in no way affect the license. It's no different than a friend emailing me a character. But for some reason it DID.

I'm not blaming someone else for something I did. I blame them for in the name of keeping people from copying their software, creating a system that crashes too easy. If I pay for a product, I expect to be able to use it. Period. I didn't mess with the license or the key, I only dropped some old builds into my My Documents folder. If this is tinkering then every time I save a build to micro-disk I'm tinkering.

Again, I reiterate: I think it works well for what it does. However, it's fragility is makes it almost more trouble than it's worth. If there was another program that didn't work as well, but was more stable, I'd use it instead just to avoid these difficulties.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:32 am

cobalt-blue wrote:Again, I reiterate: I think it works well for what it does. However, it's fragility is makes it almost more trouble than it's worth. If there was another program that didn't work as well, but was more stable, I'd use it instead just to avoid these difficulties.

The problem with this argument is that as far as I can tell this is a rare problem. Its apparently only "fragile" for a rather specific subset of use, since the only other time I even heard this referenced was the aforementioned update problem. So I suspect for most users this is simply a non-problem. As an example, I've moved user files around in and out of the HL directory without any problems.

I'm not in love with the particular security measure involved, but that's primarily on philosophical grounds. This particular application of it doesn't seem onerous to the end user as a general case.
And we by this sole token;

Know we once were gods;

Take shame in being broken;

No matter how great the odds.

krypt0nian
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby krypt0nian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 am

cobalt-blue wrote:I figured as much. I however will warn my friends away from it.

I find it kind of silly that you would warn your friends from an excellent tool because you had a rare occurrence happen to you. At the most mention your issue, but then mention that it's a rare situation and let them decide.
~ Rocketed from Krypton ~
@krypt0nian on Twitter
#MNM3e tag represent!

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:13 am

And I find it upsetting to pay for a product and have it unusable for three days because the software developer wants to treat all of its customers like thieves.

krypt0nian
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby krypt0nian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:15 am

cobalt-blue wrote:And I find it upsetting to pay for a product and have it unusable for three days because the software developer wants to treat all of its customers like thieves.

Even so, using your rare occurrence to screw friends out of a great tool is immature. Your thief hyperbole doesn't do you any favors.
~ Rocketed from Krypton ~
@krypt0nian on Twitter
#MNM3e tag represent!

cobalt-blue
Superhero
Superhero

Postby cobalt-blue » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 am

Sorry, it's not hyperbole. The whole license concept is based on the precept that each and every one of their customers is a thief. And my friends know that even if they decide to not heed my advice, it's no skin off my teeth. I'm not screwing them out of anything, but possibly saving them from a serious hassle.

Return to “Hero Lab”