Generic Equipment Point Option

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Generic Equipment Point Option

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I am making a character with Equipment 1 but I don't want to allocate any specific devices but rather want to select Equipment (the rank) and then on the Equipment section it lists (for example, with rank 1: 5 ep available toward equipment purchases). Or something like that.

This way I don't have to select (and spend) those 5 ep now but can do as I see fit at the start of the adventure or if the GM allows during the game.

anyone else encounter this or wish it was an option.

Can I simply create a custom feat? Anyone try this or some other option in regard to Equipment.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Generic Equipment Point Option

Postby Paragon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Since there's some options in the equipment tab for custom equipment, you could just set one up and call it "Various Items" and be good.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 am

Cool, thanks Paragon.

Cohen if you do get a chance to add something like that in the updates great. That way anyone can do it. I'd call it.

Equipment Pool and then the person selects the number of EP and every 5 they choose it reads rank of Equipment in their feats.

A character like Raven would have listed equipment and say she has 12 ep left to spend, she would buy this Equipment Pool and put 12 and it would more than likely end up with an even increment of 5 so it would read Equipment 15 in her feats.

That was the effect I was going for.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:48 pm

I've been entering a lot of supporting character archetypes for HeroLab and many of them have an "equipment pool" of undefined stuff, so I've just been entering the value of what they might have. Beyond a tacit agreement with your GM that your equipment may change between adeventures, I don't know if you really need anything that formal.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

I just added it as Custom Equipment, it then lets you enter the number of Equipment points. That works.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 am

Foreshadow wrote:I just added it as Custom Equipment, it then lets you enter the number of Equipment points. That works.

Honestly, I suspect that's doing anything a new option would anyway. I just tended to list a "default" set of equipment (what the character might normally carry) and figured you knew how much they had from the feat listing and could rearrange the rest at need anyway. Since its really only changeable off-screen usually, its not like a Variable where you need to have toggles and such.
And we by this sole token;

Know we once were gods;

Take shame in being broken;

No matter how great the odds.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sat May 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I totally agree Paragon. I don't consider the Equipment Pool like a set of omni-gadgets (like they had in DC Heros) but rather an undefined number of points. Especially for a character, villain or hero, like Mastermind or Toyboy who you might buy Equipment 20 for but leave it undefined and open for the GM to fill in, but when you list on the character you don't ever actually list it all. Then of course, the GM might come in and define it as suits the current need. But as a place holder in the mean time you buy this custom piece of equipment.

If the program just let us buy up Equipment feat ranks directly we don't need to to this but often you have a character, like Raven who spends most of the points but might have like 9 ep left that is undefined to be equipment 'as suit the needs of the mission'. In which case if its a npc, the GM can deal with making a list before a session (or not as its an npc) and if that were Raven, played as a pc (such as at game convention) the GM can require the player of Raven to submit a list before the session starts defining her remaining points.

Return to “Hero Lab”