HL not picking up campaign PL limits on vehicle powers?

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Captain Liberty
Partisan
Partisan

HL not picking up campaign PL limits on vehicle powers?

Postby Captain Liberty » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 am

We had a recent episode in my local play group where one of our newer players created a character with a vehicle (a van) that included a weapon that had a save DC way beyond what the power level of the campaign (PL 10) allows. It seems Hero Lab enforces PL limits on character powers but not when it comes to vehicles. Is there a way you could possibly look into including PL enforcement on vehicles in future updates please?
ImageImageImage

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: HL not picking up campaign PL limits on vehicle powers?

Postby Colen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Hmm... I assume that vehicles shouldn't be allowed to "trade off", so if a vehicle is created at PL 10, you shouldn't be able to give it a Blast power higher than rank 10, for example.

Thanks for this note - I'll see if I can get this fixed.
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Captain Liberty
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Captain Liberty » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:28 pm

My pleasure. Thank you for looking into it.
ImageImageImage

charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby charlieluce » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Colen wrote:Hmm... I assume that vehicles shouldn't be allowed to "trade off", so if a vehicle is created at PL 10, you shouldn't be able to give it a Blast power higher than rank 10, for example.

What makes Vehicles different than any other Equipment or Device? Vehicle weapons still have to be targeted.

Captain Liberty
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Captain Liberty » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:21 am

Vehicle weapons are still subject to power level limits, like everything else. In the example of my player friend he was allowed to exceed the campaign PL of 10 and there was no inherent tradeoff at all. Hero Lab did not catch it and try to enforce the PL limit. He was new to the game and thought that since Hero Lab didn't try to stop him that it must be legal.
ImageImageImage

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:00 am

Captain Liberty wrote:Vehicle weapons are still subject to power level limits, like everything else. In the example of my player friend he was allowed to exceed the campaign PL of 10 and there was no inherent tradeoff at all. Hero Lab did not catch it and try to enforce the PL limit. He was new to the game and thought that since Hero Lab didn't try to stop him that it must be legal.

Yes, but Colen was suggesting they shouldn't be able to trade-off at all; there's no reason a character with a +8 attack shouldn't be able to have a vehicle with a +12 damage weapon. Worse, a character with a +12 attack shouldn't be allowed to have a vehicle with a +10 damage just because its a vehicle. Its still going to get the benefit of his attack bonus.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 am

Actually, in this case, Vehicles are not exactly in line with the rest of the rules because it is very easy for someone other than the character who made the vehicle to be in charge of operating the weapons. For this reason, I usually require vehicles to go by 'real world' examples of weapons wherever possible, and be limited by the purchasing player's PL (limited by tradeoffs) in other cases.

This changes when the campaign revolves around vehicles, such as in a Mecha campaign, where often the vehicle will be carrying weapons that are far more powerful than the players would normally have access to. In these cases, it would be nice to adjust the power level for the vehicle independently from the hero. A standard 'equal to creating character's PL' setting that could be modified with up/down arrows would be nice, and would allow for most house rules to be applied without getting in the way.
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Return to “Hero Lab”