Lightsaber duleing for dummies

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Lightsaber duleing for dummies

Postby DarkMaster » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Alright I'm making fighting style feats for the seven styles of light saber combat. But I've hit a snag, I need to lower the effective attack bonus for people using form III (Form III being the defensive form). I also need to add that if they use another of the forms (in addition to III) they ignore the the attack penalty. So, I guess what I'm asking is can this be done with scripts, and if so, how?

Ebonheart
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Lightsaber duleing for dummies

Postby Ebonheart » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:54 am

It might be easier to help if you could give a little more information.

What bonuses/penalties should each of these forms provide? Can they be used in concert, or is each form mutually exclusive?

Chris

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Yes, I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you describe the different "forms" so we can help you add them to Hero Lab?
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:17 pm

In as few words as possible. Yes they can be used all together. And what I'm trying to do is increase defense (Which I can do by adding the proper feats to the plate I'm working on) but decrease offense. Which I figure I can do in one of two ways.
    1. reduce effective strength (which doesn't make much sense)
    2. lower their chance to hit

I want to know if I can do the second with Scripts.

(I'm still working on a solid description of all the forms I'll be back with that a little later on.)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:46 pm

I think the last update gave you the ability to apply negative modifiers in containers. So you should be able to set your attack and/or strength down and gain back points.

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:01 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of a feat plate like the original sword-fighting feat. Costs 7 pp and gives you a set of feats that fit within it. But because of the heavily Defensive focus Form III your attacks are weaker than normal so In need to reduce the attack bonus and I don't want to write a drawback for it because I'd still have to write the script and I want to put it all together.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 pm

{squinches eyebrows} I guess my question would be, are you looking to add this power to one person or are you trying to add it in the editor? If the former, a container would do you just fine. If it's the latter, Hero Lab supports two methods. One adds feats and can be seen by Add (Copy) of the Feat of Fighting Style: Boxing in the editor. The other adds powers and traits, but sets them all to 0 and can be seen by doing Add (Copy) of the Power of Gaseous. Those are all set up as containers although they can be particular options for a container. For example, the various n-Dimensional forms for Dimensional Control.

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:56 pm

hmmmmm, *scratches head* I think I might be going about this the wrong way. Rage increases srt, will, and fort. But decreases def. How do I do that.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Rage doesn't apply any bonuses because it only works when you choose to fly into a rage. So it doesn't actually deduct anything from your defense.

I don't think any powers in M&M increase your defense - you have feats like Dodge Focus, which increases your dodge bonus, though. So how does Dodge Focus work? Open the editor, create a new file, go to the Feats tab, click the "New (Copy)" button, and choose "Dodge Focus" from the list. Now click the "Eval Scripts" button on the right to see what it does:

Code: Select all

~ If we're not active, get out
doneif (activated = 0)

~ Add to our dodge bonus
hero.child[Defense].field[defDodge].value += field[ftRanks].value

I believe you can also add a general bonus to defense by modifying the field "Bonus" instead of "defDodge", above.

Using the editor to peek at how other feats and powers work is a very valuable tool to help you figure out how to do stuff. Hopefully this helps you make a power that boosts your statistics in various ways :)
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Return to “Hero Lab”