Having Powers with "0" ranks

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
MisterO
Firebrand
Firebrand

Having Powers with "0" ranks

Postby MisterO » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:44 pm

I would like to put in a request to have the option of being able to have a power at 0 ranks. I think it would be helpful since there are some situations when you don't have the power until another condition is met, such as with Absorption Boost or the Transfer power. When those conditions are met (successfully absorb an attack or drain a target) you can then add ranks to the power in the "Adjust" tab to the amount you need.

Gothenem
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Having Powers with "0" ranks

Postby Gothenem » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:36 pm

I concur with this. There is also times where I use a power with 0 ranks for other things, such as:

Enhanced Strike 0 (any bladed weapon, Extra: Penetrating 5, Flaw: Limited [vs. cute cuddlies only])

Where as a special ability, so-and-so can strike Cute Cuddlies, ignoring up to 5 points of Impervious, but only with swords, knives, axes and other bladed weapons (ie equipment)

An actual example in my campaign is:

Enhaced Strike 0 (Extra: Penetrating 6, Flaw: Limited [5/day only]) Basically being a 5/day ability, where he can enhance any melee attack with the Penetrating extra, whether it is Strength-based or not...

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Having Powers with "0" ranks

Postby Colen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:56 pm

If people think this would be useful, I can add it as an optional rule. I don't want to make it the default behaviour since it's not exactly obvious what a 0-rank power should do to newbies. :)
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Return to “Hero Lab”