Toughness and Equipment bug

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Toughness and Equipment bug

Postby Millennium » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:03 am

Just noticed a bug in recent updates of Hero Lab. If I buy Protection it adds to Toughness. If I buy a piece of armour as equipment it adds to Toughness. If I buy a combination of both Hero Lab seems to ignore the Equipment and just adds Toughness bonuses from powers... is there an easy fix to this?

Woodclaw
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Toughness and Equipment bug

Postby Woodclaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:07 am

It's not a bug, in the Core book under the Equipment chapter it's stated that the bonus from equipment doesn't stack with powers - with the partial exception of enhanced abilities - only the highest counts.
"Yes, it's a bloody flying alligator setting fire to my city!"

Sam Vimes (Guards! Guards!)

From a dark corner of my mind (my build's thread)
From another dark corner of my mind (my Deviantart page)

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:44 am

Woodclaw wrote:It's not a bug, in the Core book under the Equipment chapter it's stated that the bonus from equipment doesn't stack with powers - with the partial exception of enhanced abilities - only the highest counts.

Steve's even clarified that Equipment armor won't stack with the Toughness bonus from Enhanced Constitution.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:54 am

Doh! completely missed that... seems a little odd to me but them's the rules!

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 am

Millennium wrote:Doh! completely missed that... seems a little odd to me but them's the rules!

Its an artifact of the fact equipment is so cheap; if you don't watch it, it then becomes really attractive to, for example, layer a bulletproof vest on, well, everyone. This means you don't bother on the majority of characters because their Protection, Force Field or Enhanced Con makes it moot. You mostly see it on people who are getting the rest of their toughness from regular Con and Defensive Roll.

You can get oddities like the fact it works for, say, an alien with a base Con of 30, but short of also adding a maximum toughness it'd add to, that was kind of inevitable, and that's at least a fairly uncommon build.

Know we once were gods;

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 am

Paragon wrote:Its an artifact of the fact equipment is so cheap; if you don't watch it, it then becomes really attractive to, for example, layer a bulletproof vest on, well, everyone. This means you don't bother on the majority of characters because their Protection, Force Field or Enhanced Con makes it moot. You mostly see it on people who are getting the rest of their toughness from regular Con and Defensive Roll.

You can get oddities like the fact it works for, say, an alien with a base Con of 30, but short of also adding a maximum toughness it'd add to, that was kind of inevitable, and that's at least a fairly uncommon build.

Fair point actually...the build in question was fairly uncommon. I don't think I'd ever have considered the Vest / Protection link before this point.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Millennium wrote:
Paragon wrote:Its an artifact of the fact equipment is so cheap; if you don't watch it, it then becomes really attractive to, for example, layer a bulletproof vest on, well, everyone. This means you don't bother on the majority of characters because their Protection, Force Field or Enhanced Con makes it moot. You mostly see it on people who are getting the rest of their toughness from regular Con and Defensive Roll.

Fair point actually...the build in question was fairly uncommon. I don't think I'd ever have considered the Vest / Protection link before this point.

One of the trickiest things in superhero games is finding the balance between making ordinary gear stupidly expensive and overly attractive because they're too cheap. M&M walks the line very carefully, but there's really no way to avoid some problems here because in the end, the reason you don't see a lot of supers do much in the way of equipment is a genre convention more than anything really lodged in internal logic.

Know we once were gods;

Return to “Hero Lab”