Hero Lab: A Novice's Tale

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Hero Lab: A Novice's Tale

Postby Roman Virtue » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Alright, so I bought Hero Lab for M&M along with the add-on for the other books. In addition to that I got the Authoring Kit. Right now I don't have a lick of programing skill or experience, so this will be my first attempt at anything like this. The way this is set up,it's supposed to be easy to learn... well, they've never met this window-licker!

I know Hero Lab can do a lot, but I also know it can;t do *everything*, so I'm not sure if I can get all of my wish-list done. So here's what I want to do with this; I want to get rid of all the standard skills and put in my own set of skills and have the cost set at 1pp/ 2 skill points. Also, I don't want the skills to be tied to any one attribute; I want just the skill ranks to display after the skill. Then, I want to add in some house feats. It doesn't sound too hard, and from what I've heard, those who have tinkered with Hero Lab, seem to think it's not. So if I don't get this, I'll feel even more like a dunce.

First step; reading all the how-too's and guides along with the Hero Lab wiki. My head already hurts! If my brain hasn't fully turned to mush, I'll come back and tell you what- if anything- I've learned from this.
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Re: Hero Lab: A Novice's Tale

Postby Roman Virtue » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Well my headache has subsided, and I've stopped crying like a little girl. I've read the how-to's, and the guides, and it seems like I may be able to get the hang of this eventually, but I'm a ways off from being able to use the program- right now it just looks pretty on my desktop. I know as soon as I get these changes done, I'll use the hell out of it! *sigh* back to the "homework"...
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:46 pm

I'll add a house rule to make skill points cost 1/2 or 1/3 of a power point in the next update - that should solve your problem for that.

As to replacing all the skills... that has two steps. To create new skills, you can use the editor - a skill doesn't have to be linked to any particular attribute, so that shouldn't be a problem. To delete the existing skills, you can use the "hidden" element, described here: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php ... %28Data%29

Hope this helps :)
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Ok, I was thinking I was an idiot not being able to find something that changed skill costs, that still may be the case, but at least *that* particular problem was because it hadn't been added yet! Thanks Colen!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm

Now that real life has given me a break I just downloaded the files for my 4e license, which was super easy, and played around with the editor (specifically the skill tab), adding skills looks easy enough, not linking them looks easy too, but I have to wait for the next update to really kick off my character creation process.

I have the link to the hidden element up again and will see if I can make heads or tales out of it now. Wish me luck!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm

The Editor is open, the Skill tab is up... where do I input the "Hidden Element"?
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Ok, so I've asked for help with hiding away the skill list and received some instructions, but I can't seem to make the skills go "bye-bye". I've asked what I may be doing wrong and await an answer. The skill pricing needs to be handled by an update, so I'm waiting for that too!

It feels like I'm "right there"...

...on the other hand I could be completely lost!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Hidden elements were added in Hero Lab 3.6. Download the new version, and you should be able to see them in the editor - simply enter one skill id in each hidden element and you should be able to hide all the skills you want.
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:26 pm

You got tired of dealing with me huh? :lol:

Thanks!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 pm

YES!!!
So with the new update, I was able to hide all the standard skills. I ran into an error, but with my previous experience with editing the code, I was able to correct it (OMG, did I actually learn something?)!

Tomorrow I'm going to enter in my house skill list (because I'm waaaay too tired to try right now).

Many, many thanks to Colen for putting up with me and putting the Hidden Element into the interface (which I can imagine was a lot of work for a problem that only affected a couple of customers). The help and service he gave is amazing; far, far more than I expected or deserved! You rock, Sir!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Return to “Hero Lab”