Ability to do more damage with melee weapons

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Ability to do more damage with melee weapons

Postby charlieluce » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Sorry if this has come up before, but I couldn't find it.

AFAIK if you want to represent a character whose fighting skill allows them to do more damage than normal with melee weapons, the solution is to buy them a little bit of Mighty Strike with a Descriptor of "Weapons Master" or some such.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any way to indicate this to Hero Lab. Buying Strike 2 with Mighty did not add the DC to any weapons purchased, and I couldn't find anything that looked like an "add to melee weapon DC" option.

Am I missing something?

Ebonheart
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Ability to do more damage with melee weapons

Postby Ebonheart » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 am

Hmm - not sure you are right with your build there - Strike (mighty or otherwise) is supposed to represent a weapon of some kind, rather than improve other weapons (like claws, for example). It can be used to increase unarmed damage (i.e. martial arts chop or the like), but shouldn't help with using other weapons.

I think what you want is some "Enhanced Strength" limited to "Only when using melee weapons".

Chris

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:08 am

Most people at that point just stat up Strike to the point they want the damage at then put a limited flaw on it "Requires medium: Melee Weapon".

Basically as long as you have some form of melee weapon you get to use your Strike power. Without one you can't access the strike power.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 am

Any strength bonus you have will automatically be applied to the melee weapon's DC. Of course, if your strength bonus exceeds the toughness of the weapon, then the weapon will break the first time you use it.

So you either just buy up some strength and apply it as normal, limit it as Ebonheart suggested, or use the Strike power, perhaps with the (need a melee weapon) power loss drawback.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 am

Yeah, I'm not sure M&M as currently written really has a clean way to actually add damage to a melee weapon generically; the closest it has is something like Flawed Strength, and that has the issue with Equipment that roguescriber mentions.

You could probably do something really clumsy with Boost, but that's all that comes to mind.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:19 pm

I personally would go into the editor and make the power. I'm no expert with the scripts but even if you can't get the program to show it, well, it's a game. A game, for that matter, that's all about pretending.

charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby charlieluce » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Consolidated reply:

I was going off vague memory on the Strike application, so I probably got it mixed up with another game. Given the number of different systems I've run over the years, it's amazing that it doesn't happen more often. :roll:

This is an agent-level setting, not a supers one, so I wanted something that would take into account the weapon being used, and throwing an extra Power Drawback on top of the Limited Flaw is starting to get into silly season as far as I'm concerned (not that I might not end up doing it anyway...). For the same reason, Boost is Right Out. :wink:

The Enhanced Strength method adds to things like Skills and Jump distances, so that just moves the problem.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the idea of a skill-type enhanced damage hasn't come up before (EDIT: except for Throwing Mastery, for some reason). I guess between Trade-off Feats and Improved Critical it hasn't seemed that important.

Anyway, this is for a one-off game, which means that since I'll be handing the character sheets out I kind of wanted the listed weapons stats to be accurate, :P but at the same time it's really not worth opening the editor over. I'll either do the characters some other way or mark up the sheets by hand.

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Actually, if you just want to increase the DC of your melee weapons I made a feat that increases the DC of melee weapons by +2 per rank (up to 4 ranks) I called it damaging aura. That would do what you want right?

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:21 am

DarkMaster wrote:Actually, if you just want to increase the DC of your melee weapons I made a feat that increases the DC of melee weapons by +2 per rank (up to 4 ranks) I called it damaging aura. That would do what you want right?

With that available, why would anyone ever take Sneak Attack?
And we by this sole token;

Know we once were gods;

Take shame in being broken;

No matter how great the odds.

charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby charlieluce » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:52 pm

DarkMaster wrote:Actually, if you just want to increase the DC of your melee weapons I made a feat that increases the DC of melee weapons by +2 per rank (up to 4 ranks) I called it damaging aura. That would do what you want right?

That's basically what I had in mind (though I would have thought +1 DC per rank a la Throwing Mastery) but as I mentioned upthread it's not worth breaking out the editor over for a one-shot.

charlieluce
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby charlieluce » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:19 pm

As an aside, I think I found where my original assumption came from. 8)

Arkrite
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arkrite » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm

I suppose you could also work it as
Strike
PF: Mighty
PF: Feature (Stacks with weapon damage)

Of course I'd be pretty quick to point out that equipment is easily destroyed, and no GM should allow a player to break caps using that power.

Otherwise we'd have an influx of people with massive strike powers wielding chainsaws... ;~)

DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Postby DarkMaster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm

charlieluce wrote:uld have thought +1 DC per rank a la Throwing Mastery) but as I mentioned upthread it's not worth breaking out the editor over for a one-shot.

Understandable I suppose. I personally use the editor when ever I think I can do something better by making a new feat, or power, or what have you. Because that way if I ever run into that situation again I can just break out the already made feat and be done, and for similar situations a small tweak is all I need.

Return to “Hero Lab”