Awkward Super-Senses Output

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Awkward Super-Senses Output

Postby Unbeliever » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Sorry to be a pain, but I would like to suggest that HeroLab come up w/ a better way to output the Super-Senses power. Right now it's pretty cluttered and hard to keep track of if you add multiple abilities to the same set or have a set of enhanced senses.

I'm a regular on the ATT, so my preferred output would be something like:

Super-Senses 5 (5 pp)
Benefit (Directed Inspiration), Detect Death 4 (visual; Ranged, Acute, Tracking)
or
Super-Senses 4 (4 pp)
Hearing (Accurate, Extended 2)

What's nice about those is that you get all the "effects" of that super-sense in a fairly easy to read way, e.g., Black Hand's detect death sense (thanks to Taliesin, where I ripped that from) is pretty clearly laid out. But, in HL now you would get a sort of awkward mess like:

"Acute: Detect Death, Detect: Death (visual) 2 (ranged), Tracking: Detect Death 1 (half speed)"

and it gets even more awkward if you have some other senses in there, like Darkvision.

The only quick fix I can think of is to expand the edit notes function in HL for these powers (Immunity might be another good candidate, I think) to allow for an easy option that lets the user override the default output and enter in their own. I think the current set-up works fine for building the power, but on the character sheet it's hard to manage.

P.S.: I suppose another option, which I haven't had time to try out yet, is to do the whole replace power thing that Paragon and others suggested w/ tweaking the description of feats. That seems like a lot of work. I know it won't be much of a problem if you check the "user power notes only" option, but people probably don't want to have to resort to that all the time.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Awkward Super-Senses Output

Postby Colen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:57 pm

I see what you're saying - you want to be able to customize the "Detect Death" aspect of the power, instead of adding other options and flagging them to operate on Detect Death. I'll put it on the to-do list. :)
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Unbeliever
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Unbeliever » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks so much Colen. I know you put a lot of work int HL, and that we are an ornery and particular bunch of folks.

Even the simple "user notes only" for this power option would work fine for me. I'm used to statting up my M&M characters by hand, so I can certainly type out the description for a single power!

Gothenem
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Gothenem » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:00 am

Unbeliever wrote:Thanks so much Colen. I know you put a lot of work int HL, and that we are an ornery and particular bunch of folks.

Even the simple "user notes only" for this power option would work fine for me. I'm used to statting up my M&M characters by hand, so I can certainly type out the description for a single power!

This.

Very much please. I think a way for us to edit more than just the name of the power for the output would be a great benefit.

As an option. :mrgreen:

Return to “Hero Lab”