Purchasing equipment as a power

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
DarkMaster
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Purchasing equipment as a power

Postby DarkMaster » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 am

Now that I think on it, you can give vehicles powers, so why not buy a regular motorcycle and give it alternate form or battle form?

Gregoth
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Gregoth » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:37 pm

That's essentially what I did but since it is so far modified from being a standard piece of equipment and is an integral part of the character (character does not function as intended without it) it crossed the line from being merely equipment to being a device. So I constructed it using the vehicle rules under equipment but paid for it as a device (3pp buys 5ep as an easy-to-lose device as opposed to 1pp buys 5ep as equipment)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Gothenem
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Gothenem » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:06 am

As a note, I would allow the bike in my campaigns, but it is not equipment, it is a device, thus it would cost an amount of PP's equal to its ep cost.

Remember, equipment is built with the same rules as powers. So a pistol (damage 3) is a Blast 3. It costs 6ep. Were it a power, it would cost 6 pp.

Thus, if a motorcycle as equipment costs 8 ep, it should cost 8 pp as a power to be used in a power array :)

Return to “Hero Lab”