Hero Lab is it worth it?

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Hero Lab is it worth it?

Postby roguescribner » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:17 pm

I've never had any problems with it. I love the program!

Have you contacted tech support? Maybe there's a permissions or OS issue that's causing you grief.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Spence
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 pm

roguescribner is correct. The folks at LW are extremely proactive and usually get right back with you if there is an issue. They just need to know about it.

I am using Hero Lab for my current game (it's not MM though). The MM setup works great though and I have built dozens of characters as well as added feats and such from supplements that were not available in HL yet.

The program works great for its intended purpose.

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Ok, so I have a house rule skill list and cost as well as some house feats, will this program allow me to adjust these things, or am I stuck with the RAW?

Also, is this a one-time purchase, or to I have to renew the license every year?
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:50 am

Roman Virtue wrote:Ok, so I have a house rule skill list and cost as well as some house feats, will this program allow me to adjust these things, or am I stuck with the RAW?

The system is very customizable. The only thing I've found gets a little tricky is establishing feats and powers with odd prerequisites and even that is doable with the scripts.

Roman Virtue wrote:Also, is this a one-time purchase, or to I have to renew the license every year?

You know... my impression is that the license is not necessarily in perpetuity, but neither do they have a setup where you have to keep renewing the software. I suspect it's phrased this way not to force you to buy additional licenses, but rather to allow them to quickly cut off people who are abusing the system.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:
Roman Virtue wrote:Also, is this a one-time purchase, or to I have to renew the license every year?

You know... my impression is that the license is not necessarily in perpetuity, but neither do they have a setup where you have to keep renewing the software. I suspect it's phrased this way not to force you to buy additional licenses, but rather to allow them to quickly cut off people who are abusing the system.

And best as I can tell, barring updating, nothing will cause an already installed copy to stop working.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Spence
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Roman Virtue wrote: Ok, so I have a house rule skill list and cost as well as some house feats, will this program allow me to adjust these things, or am I stuck with the RAW?

You can pretty much make anything. If you are changing a RAW to fit a house rule you would simply need to copy the items you are adjusting and rename so you can tell the difference. I would just create a user file called Houserules with all the changed skills and feats attached and then use them instead of the regular ones. So far most far almost everything I have built in HL was close or similar to an existing item, so I copied and modified. On the things that were uncooperative I just asked for help on the right forum (M&M or SW's) and generally had an answer the next time I logged in. Of course on holidays I sometimes had to wait a few days. But skills are supereasy and feats really are not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

All in all, HL is the best multi-system program of its type IMO after trying several others.

I believe Paragon is correct. When your license 'lapses' it should only mean you do not have access to further updates. But I am mostly guessing on that one. Come the weekday you should get a reply from someone at LW with the official answer.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Paragon is correct. There is no license renewal fee for Hero Lab - program and data file updates will continue to be available without any extra charge. Some of our other products require you to renew your license every year, but Hero Lab is not one of them. :)
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Cool, thanks everyone! I got the demo and am playing around with that. I know it's limited in demo form, but so far it looks great!
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Ok, I've bought HL and I', giving the system a run threw, and will attempt to make the house rules changes. It'll be interesting to see how easy this is considering I have NO experience with programming whatsoever! I'll post a review on the process later.
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

dirkgentry2000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby dirkgentry2000 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am

the new updates have been great. Bunch of stock characters. Very handy

Spence
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 am

Roman Virtue wrote:Ok, I've bought HL and I', giving the system a run threw, and will attempt to make the house rules changes. It'll be interesting to see how easy this is considering I have NO experience with programming whatsoever! I'll post a review on the process later.

So? Still hanging in there?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:22 pm

Spence wrote:So? Still hanging in there?

He made two posts which established that he didn't manage to solve his problems in one night.

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Yeah, one night was asking too much. I did post questions and then got distracted by work, but I'm back on the horse now... still completely lost, but back on... giddyup! :lol:
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

Return to “Hero Lab”