Linux?

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Mon May 11, 2009 11:52 pm

I am back on Windows and everything concerning Hero Lab is fine.

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Tue May 12, 2009 3:31 pm

However I feel somehow I have betrayed the Free Software World in putting back Windows online...so When I will have time, perhaps Next Week End, I will set up a double-boot : Windows for Hero Lab & games ans Ubuntu for everything else

iKitten
Partisan
Partisan

Postby iKitten » Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Colen wrote:The answer to this is probably "no", but - if I use vmware or something similar, is there an easy way to install some version of linux, WINE, etc? I'm fine with command-line unix stuff, but I haven't used anything more complicated than that since college.

Thanks!

Depends on the distribution. Different distributions have different package managers, and then there's always compiling from source or grabbing a pre-compiled binary. I run Gentoo, which uses a package manager that compiles from source. Ubuntu's the most "User Friendly/Out of the box functional" though with a broad support base, and the core systems (the kernels and Wine itself) tend to be agreeable. On there it's about as simple as "$ apt-get install wine" or using whatever package manager they have. You'll also have to configure Wine after that, but current versions have a little tool called winecfg (which you can run from the cli). The biggest thing to setup is the symbolic links for the directories. It can do it, automatically, but only if you tell it to...and even then it sometimes gets things wrong. In winecfg there's a drivers tab. In that window, click autodetect. You should see a couple Windows style drive names like C:, D:, Z:, etc and their corresponding linux directories. I think it likes t put C: by default at ~/.wine/drive_c/ (~/ means home directory for this user and is identical to /home/[username]/, so the full path would be /home/[username]/.wine/drive_c/). It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds, but a little understanding can go a long way.

Incidentally, same issue. Hangs at "Building the UI."
Last edited by iKitten on Sun May 24, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device."

iKitten
Partisan
Partisan

Postby iKitten » Sun May 24, 2009 2:53 am

Curious. The Authoring Kit Demo DOES work. What's the difference between it and the Mutants and Masterminds system, as far as loading the UIs goes?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device."

iKitten
Partisan
Partisan

Postby iKitten » Sun May 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Chatted with someone who knows a lot more about Wine than I do. He did some debuggy stuff and ran a relay log on it after I talked him through the reproduction. Long and skinny, apparently it's caused somehow by it trying to draw an invisible window. Talking to him I'm more of the opinion that it's a problem with Wine's ability to reconcile this, however I'm posting here in case anyone's still interested themselves.

Here's the bug report.
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18613

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Sun May 24, 2009 11:16 pm

iKitten wrote:Chatted with someone who knows a lot more about Wine than I do. He did some debuggy stuff and ran a relay log on it after I talked him through the reproduction. Long and skinny, apparently it's caused somehow by it trying to draw an invisible window. Talking to him I'm more of the opinion that it's a problem with Wine's ability to reconcile this, however I'm posting here in case anyone's still interested themselves.

Here's the bug report.
Thank You.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Because each game system is different, Hero Lab has a totally customizable user interface that can generate whatever is required for each game. So aside from the basics like tabs and summary panels, the UI is totally different for each game.

iKitten wrote:Chatted with someone who knows a lot more about Wine than I do. He did some debuggy stuff and ran a relay log on it after I talked him through the reproduction. Long and skinny, apparently it's caused somehow by it trying to draw an invisible window. Talking to him I'm more of the opinion that it's a problem with Wine's ability to reconcile this, however I'm posting here in case anyone's still interested themselves.

Here's the bug report.

Interesting. Can you give me his contact details? If he can identify the problem, I can hopefully figure out what's causing it and fix it in the Hero Lab code.

Thanks for your investigation on this! :)
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Linux?

Postby chatladin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:04 am

Hello all

I resolved the problem for using Hero Lab on Ubuntu.

I installed Virtualbox-OSE and install a virtual version of my XP Home Edition, installed Hero Lab, my licence was accepted and I have created a Share Folder in my Linux RPG Repertory for exporting PDF.

iKitten
Partisan
Partisan

Postby iKitten » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:58 am

A virtual machine's not a resolution, especially given Microsoft's license practices regard VMs.
It's a workaround. Which is to sayit's not a solution to a problem...it's an avoidance of the problem to begin with.

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:08 am

iKitten wrote:A virtual machine's not a resolution, especially given Microsoft's license practices regard VMs.
It's a workaround. Which is to sayit's not a solution to a problem...it's an avoidance of the problem to begin with.
Yes, you are right indeed. It was, at this time, the only solution to keep using my Hero Lab License while using Ubuntu.

But when Lone Wolf will make a Linux port or when Hero Lab will work correctly with Wine, I will gladly use one of these solution.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:50 pm

I installed Hero Lab within WINE on a virtual machine and looked at the results, as well as some debug output provided by a helpful poster on our forums. It looks like Hero Lab is using some function which WINE doesn't implement properly, which causes it to fail. :(

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to determine exactly which function is causing the problem, without a laborious step-by-step debugging process. If we figured out exactly which function was going wrong, we'd probably have to report it to the WINE developers to get them to fix it before Hero Lab would work correctly.

As it stands, the bug has been reported to the WINE developers, so hopefully they'll be able to come up with a fix for it.
Try Hero Lab for free! http://www.wolflair.com/hero_lab/

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:23 am

chatladin wrote:Hello all

I resolved the problem for using Hero Lab on Ubuntu.

I installed Virtualbox-OSE and install a virtual version of my XP Home Edition, installed Hero Lab, my licence was accepted and I have created a Share Folder in my Linux RPG Repertory for exporting PDF.

If you use this method, I have noticed a small bug. I put it here so you do not make the same mistake.

If you delete a character from a portfolio and if that portfolio is on the host linux drive, when you load again this portfolio, you will have a bug.

If the portfolio is on the windows guest drive, no problem :D

ciryon
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ciryon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:13 am

Murphy's rules ....

Just when I decide to sell my soul and install windows seven on my computer and the hero lab bux on wine if fixed :roll:

Ciryon ex-Chatladin

Return to “Hero Lab”