Linux?

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Erroneous wrote:I know this is a bit of an old topic, but I'm trying to get Hero Lab 2.3a working with wine 1.1.8 and it installs great. The problem is that when I import a game system it says that it imported it correctly, but in the Select Game dialogue it tries to download/import the game system it just imported. It also happens after importing then restarting the program.

I'd really like to get this working in Linux as my Dell laptop doesn't much like Windows XP and I don't much like Vista (personal reasons, don't want a flame war).

Once you import a set of data files, what are the contents of the "HeroLab/data" folder?

Also, try installing Hero Lab (unlicensed) on your Windows machine, importing the files there, then copying the HeroLab/data folder over to the linux install. Does that work correctly?

Erroneous
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Erroneous » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Once you import a set of data files, what are the contents of the "HeroLab/data" folder?

Also, try installing Hero Lab (unlicensed) on your Windows machine, importing the files there, then copying the HeroLab/data folder over to the linux install. Does that work correctly?

The folder has the mutants directory on it and it is populated with stuff. Also, I had tried copying over all my data from my (licensed) windows machine and it didn't work.

A quick thought was that it had something to do with my file system being case sensitive, but I think wine might counter that and also changing the folder name to MUTANTS and Mutants didn't work. To confirm it, it also appears that under the Mutants and Masterminds button in the select game system menu is the name of the directory with the correct case (currently MUTANTS).

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 am

The folder name shouldn't matter; Hero Lab checks every folder under data to see if it's a game folder.

Is there a file named "config.cfg" in the data/mutants folder? If so, could you paste its contents here?

Erroneous
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Erroneous » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 pm

cat config.cfg

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<document signature="Hero Lab Configuration">
<game game="Mutants &amp; Masterminds" publisher="Green Ronin Publishing" website="http://www.greenronin.com"/>
<release major="2" minor="2" required="2.3a" summary="Added Hit Points, Power Surges, Graded Languages from MM. Many other enhancements &amp; bug fixes."/>
<structure folder="mutants"/>
</document>

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:59 pm

That all looks right, so that's not the problem. You say that when you try to launch the game, it tries to download it again; if you mouse over the update button for that game, what does the tooltip say? Hopefully knowing that will let me narrow it down to one thing or another, neither of which should be happening...

Erroneous
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Erroneous » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Click here to download this game.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Perfect! In that case, try renaming the data/mutants/stub.cfg file to something like "oldstub.cfg" and see if that makes any difference. If I'm Right™, that should let you load the game as normal.

What seems to be happening is that in windows, we loop through files in the game folder in a certain order. Under WINE in linux, that order appears to be different, so we're getting different results here. We really shouldn't be expecting a fixed file order at all, so it looks like this is a bug in our code that hasn't shown itself until now.

Please let me know if this helps!

sinanju
Bystander
Bystander

Postby sinanju » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:31 pm

Erroneous wrote:I know this is a bit of an old topic, but I'm trying to get Hero Lab 2.3a working with wine 1.1.8 and it installs great. The problem is that when I import a game system it says that it imported it correctly, but in the Select Game dialogue it tries to download/import the game system it just imported. It also happens after importing then restarting the program.

I'd really like to get this working in Linux as my Dell laptop doesn't much like Windows XP and I don't much like Vista (personal reasons, don't want a flame war).

This is exactly what happened for me too. I run Suse 10.3 on my home PC. I downloaded the demo and the installer worked just fine when I ran it under Wine. The program installed and I selected the M&M data file and it seemed to work. But then nothing else would function. I closed and reopened it--and it wanted me to select my M&M data file again, but when I tried I got an error message (the data file was unavailable). And that's as far as it ever got.

I'm using the fully licensed version of the software on my laptop (XP), but it would be nice if I could get it working on my main PC.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:52 pm

We just released Hero Lab v2.3b, which should include a fix for this problem. Please download and install it and let me know if it works. :)

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Well

just installed Hero Lab with Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine. I managed at last to reactivate my M&M licence but the Building User Interface stop halfway and the only thing I can do is kill the process...any solution ?

PS : I 've tried Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista and 2008 setting on Wine but same results...

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:38 am

Hmm... do you encounter the problem when loading any other game systems?

I don't know anything about WINE, so is there a way to track what a program was doing when you had to kill it?

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:16 am

Colen wrote:Hmm... do you encounter the problem when loading any other game systems?

I don't know anything about WINE, so is there a way to track what a program was doing when you had to kill it?

Others game systems were loading before activating my license, now they just freeze (the longest before freezing is D&D4)

There is a process called herolab.exe, he run then stop and ithe status is "pipe wait". Savage World works but the status message is the same.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Fri May 08, 2009 4:36 pm

chatladin wrote:
Colen wrote:Hmm... do you encounter the problem when loading any other game systems?

Others game systems were loading before activating my license, now they just freeze (the longest before freezing is D&D4)

There is a process called herolab.exe, he run then stop and ithe status is "pipe wait". Savage World works but the status message is the same.

Sorry, when you say "Savage Worlds works" do you mean you can load the Savage Worlds game system, but not others? If so, which games work and which don't? Are the only games that don't work the games you're licensed for, or is there another pattern?

chatladin
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby chatladin » Fri May 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Well I am licensed for Mutants & Masterminds only.

The only game system who ran was the Savage World template.

I desinstalled the software and installed it on my laptop (which is Windows XP powered) and I am waiting for an anwer from support@wolfslair.com to reneable my licence.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Mon May 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Did you email support@wolfslair.com ? If so you might want to resend it to support@wolflair.com :)

I'm honestly not sure what's going on there, and I can't think of any way which would let me figure out what the problem is. :(

The answer to this is probably "no", but - if I use vmware or something similar, is there an easy way to install some version of linux, WINE, etc? I'm fine with command-line unix stuff, but I haven't used anything more complicated than that since college.

Thanks!

Return to “Hero Lab”