Linux?

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Linux?

Postby insaniac99 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 am

Does Hero Lab work in Linux? what language is it written in?

I have a laptop with Linux on it and I'm considering getting this program, but I want to know if anyone else has tried using it on Linux first.

Edit: also, is there a trial version available that I can use to make sure I'll like it?

Darth Sarcastic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Darth Sarcastic » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 pm

If it works in LINUX...then it might work on the older MACs, the ones that have a LINUX kernel. I think. Although I'd love to see a MAC version myself...I'd pay for it and everything.
"Shall I goto Red Alert sir? It does mean changing the light-bulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Re: Linux?

Postby Colen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:10 am

insaniac99 wrote:Does Hero Lab work in Linux? what language is it written in?

I have a laptop with Linux on it and I'm considering getting this program, but I want to know if anyone else has tried using it on Linux first.

Edit: also, is there a trial version available that I can use to make sure I'll like it?

There's a free demo version you can download from our web site, http://www.wolflair.com/ . Try running it under WINE or something similar and see if you have any luck - I know people have had success with our other products that way, but I'm not sure about Hero Lab.

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:32 am

Darth Sarcastic wrote:If it works in LINUX...then it might work on the older MACs, the ones that have a LINUX kernel. I think. Although I'd love to see a MAC version myself...I'd pay for it and everything.

you have that backwards. it is the newer apple operating systems that run off of a form of UNIX. And while there is a good deal of cross-compatibility between Unix and Linux (and therefore Mac and Linux), it is no where near 100%.

they don't say what the program is written in, but it doesn't look like it is cross platform. I guess I can download the demo when I get home and see if I can get it to work under Wine, I'm not sure if I want to have to use a virtual machine to run it, I tend to lose those fairly regularly and I don't like the idea of having to contact support about it to switch over.

while I dislike the license mechanic, I do like that they have separate licenses so that you can have it on two computers. I hope that if (or more likely when, I have games and programs that I use that are 20 yrs old, I have strong doubts about companies staying alive that long) the company goes under some time in the future they will have the courtesy to permanently unlock the program so that it is possible to use long after their demise, I generally avoid software like this for fear of someday just not being able to use it anymore.

my FLGS has a copy, so I'll download the demo, see how much fiddling it takes to work, and then if I want it I'll go out and buy it. I'll let you guys know how it works out so future linux users don't have to wait for someone to answer their questions.

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 am

Colen wrote:

There's a free demo version you can download from our web site, http://www.wolflair.com/ . Try running it under WINE or something similar and see if you have any luck - I know people have had success with our other products that way, but I'm not sure about Hero Lab.

thank you for the response!

I started viewing your website while I was typing my previous post and missed your reply. I have to complement on your site design, while I haven't viewed the videos I have a strong sense of what the program is like and how it works. It has really helped to reinforce my desire to test your product.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:39 am

insaniac99 wrote:thank you for the response!

I started viewing your website while I was typing my previous post and missed your reply. I have to complement on your site design, while I haven't viewed the videos I have a strong sense of what the program is like and how it works. It has really helped to reinforce my desire to test your product.

Thanks! We recently spent a lot of time redesigning it, so it's nice to hear that it's having the intended effect. :)

Bill_CCHKK
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Bill_CCHKK » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:45 am

I tried the demo on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) under Wine 1.0. There's an initial splash screen that won't go away by clicking the 'OK' button (or whatever the actual button was). It would go away by pressing the Enter key, IIRC. There were enough little idiosyncrasies like that that I gave up on trying it on Linux.

Of course, I've since switched back to Windows for other reasons, and I haven't bought the full version yet. I plan to, RSN.

- Bill
"I am Fartacus!" -- Ned's Declassified
Avatar courtesy of Barney's Micro Heroes

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Bill_CCHKK wrote:

I tried the demo on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) under Wine 1.0. There's an initial splash screen that won't go away by clicking the 'OK' button (or whatever the actual button was). It would go away by pressing the Enter key, IIRC. There were enough little idiosyncrasies like that that I gave up on trying it on Linux.

Of course, I've since switched back to Windows for other reasons, and I haven't bought the full version yet. I plan to, RSN.

- Bill

Thanks for the Information, any specifics on the idiosyncrasies? I still plan to try it when I get home, things may have changed (for better or worse) with the newest release of Wine. I also wonder whether they are from the program or wine itself as I've mucked around with wine getting things to work before.

ah well, time will tell, I head home soon enough...

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:44 pm

Colen wrote:

Thanks! We recently spent a lot of time redesigning it, so it's nice to hear that it's having the intended effect. :)

one relatively small change that I would like is to show the price (or price range) of additional Datafiles. I saw the price for the original program multiple times and how you get one free datafile (or rather you get the program free with the purchase of your first datafile, depending on how you want to look at it) and I saw where you could go to purchase additional datafiles. in fact, I think I've been everywhere on the Hero Lab portion of the site. but I can't find out how much extra datafiles are.

This is one of the first things I started wondering when I read about the datafiles. to me, additional ones shouldn't be the full $30 if you are buying an additional one or I'd at least expect that smaller datafiles that are add-ons would cost less than the base datafile.

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:33 pm

insaniac99 wrote:
Colen wrote:

one relatively small change that I would like is to show the price (or price range) of additional Datafiles. I saw the price for the original program multiple times and how you get one free datafile (or rather you get the program free with the purchase of your first datafile, depending on how you want to look at it) and I saw where you could go to purchase additional datafiles. in fact, I think I've been everywhere on the Hero Lab portion of the site. but I can't find out how much extra datafiles are.

This is one of the first things I started wondering when I read about the datafiles. to me, additional ones shouldn't be the full $30 if you are buying an additional one or I'd at least expect that smaller datafiles that are add-ons would cost less than the base datafile.

Noted. Additional games are typically $20 (all 3 of our current games cost this much to activate); expansion sets for games will typically be $10-20, depending on the amount of content that gets included.

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Colen wrote:
insaniac99 wrote:
Colen wrote:

Noted. Additional games are typically $20 (all 3 of our current games cost this much to activate); expansion sets for games will typically be $10-20, depending on the amount of content that gets included.

awesome, that is exactly what I was thinking the proper price-point would be for me. I'm in the process of downloading and installing the demo right now.

btw, double kudos for the quick responses

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:44 pm

for potential future Linux Users: while using Hero Lab V2.1c with Wine Version 1.1.3 running as windows XP I managed to install with no errors, once the actual program was running however I had to use the keyboard to press the buttons, but radio buttons and check boxes worked fine. once the application started preparing the GUI it froze with the CombineRgn error i list below. the wininet error (fixme message really) happened throughout the process but is apparently harmless.

fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB

err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=(nil)

so currently it does not work in the most recent (and admitably development/beta) version of wine. I will continue to try different things as i have the time If the situation changes, I'll be sure to post here. anyone else willing to try is welcome to.

Final Thoughts:
that said, it works 100% in my virtual machines, I plan on going to my FLGS tomorrow to buy the program from them (mainly to support my FLGS than any other reason about the program coming on CD) it seems well worth the slight hassle of using a VM to me after creating the magical armor and Contumed Detective heroes from the Instant SuperHeroes book. I'm pleased at the functionality it offers beyond merely a character creator and most of my current complaints (besides not working in Wine of course) are either bugs already listed in the documentation, or my not knowing the working of the program that well*. considering that the M&M supplement is still considered in Development, it is well worth the purchase. my players who are new to the game (actually I'm new too, but I've had the chance to read the rulebook a couple times) and I think the default of printing out the abilities of feats & powers will really help, deffinately better than printing out the pages from Instant SuperHeroes. after using the official Hero Designer for the hero System I REALLY like that this program only warns about errors and invalid options, but doesn't actually force compliance in any way.

*{To explain the problems I encountered, the linked powers wasn't immediately obvious at first but I figured it out relatively quickly, some calculation differences on immunity for the mystic armor (a 1 point difference, so I've been ignoring it),

but the worst problems were with building the costumed detective, I couldn't buy the mighty feat for the blast power, I'm not sure I did the purchases correctly by using only the equipment tab because points didn't match up and I couldn't add feats specifically to the club. though I do admit that any of these may not be errors, but instead my ignorance on the program and the way the rules works.}

Colen
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Colen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am

insaniac99 wrote:for potential future Linux Users: while using Hero Lab V2.1c with Wine Version 1.1.3 running as windows XP I managed to install with no errors, once the actual program was running however I had to use the keyboard to press the buttons, but radio buttons and check boxes worked fine. once the application started preparing the GUI it froze with the CombineRgn error i list below. the wininet error (fixme message really) happened throughout the process but is apparently harmless.

fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (30000): STUB

err:region:CombineRgn Invalid rgn=(nil)

so currently it does not work in the most recent (and admitably development/beta) version of wine. I will continue to try different things as i have the time If the situation changes, I'll be sure to post here. anyone else willing to try is welcome to.

I don't know why you're getting the CombineRgn error - we don't call that function anywhere in our code. :( So it must be getting called by something we call, and I don't know what that would be.

Not sure about the Wininet error either - we use the Wininet API to connect to our server and get updates, we're not doing anything wacky with them. So I'm not sure why that would cause errors.

Thanks for trying it with WINE, though! If anyone has any idea why these errors would be appearing, please let us know...

insaniac99 wrote:
Final Thoughts:
that said, it works 100% in my virtual machines, I plan on going to my FLGS tomorrow to buy the program from them (mainly to support my FLGS than any other reason about the program coming on CD) it seems well worth the slight hassle of using a VM to me after creating the magical armor and Contumed Detective heroes from the Instant SuperHeroes book. I'm pleased at the functionality it offers beyond merely a character creator and most of my current complaints (besides not working in Wine of course) are either bugs already listed in the documentation, or my not knowing the working of the program that well*. considering that the M&M supplement is still considered in Development, it is well worth the purchase. my players who are new to the game (actually I'm new too, but I've had the chance to read the rulebook a couple times) and I think the default of printing out the abilities of feats & powers will really help, deffinately better than printing out the pages from Instant SuperHeroes. after using the official Hero Designer for the hero System I REALLY like that this program only warns about errors and invalid options, but doesn't actually force compliance in any way.

*{To explain the problems I encountered, the linked powers wasn't immediately obvious at first but I figured it out relatively quickly, some calculation differences on immunity for the mystic armor (a 1 point difference, so I've been ignoring it),

Linked powers will be done better in the next update - you'll add a 'container' power that lets you add multiple powers within it, which are activated / deactivated when you activate / deactivate the linked power.

insaniac99 wrote: but the worst problems were with building the costumed detective, I couldn't buy the mighty feat for the blast power, I'm not sure I did the purchases correctly by using only the equipment tab because points didn't match up and I couldn't add feats specifically to the club. though I do admit that any of these may not be errors, but instead my ignorance on the program and the way the rules works.}

In the core rules, Mighty isn't supported for the Blast power; I suspect that's an addition in Ultimate Power.

I put together the Costumed Detective, and it came out 1 point over the book (HL says it has Equipment 6 instead of Equipment 5).

For adding feats to club, just add the "Custom Feat" for now (I'm still trying to work out the best way of adding feats to powers).

Thanks!

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:51 am

Colen wrote:
I put together the Costumed Detective, and it came out 1 point over the book (HL says it has Equipment 6 instead of Equipment 5).

For adding feats to club, just add the "Custom Feat" for now (I'm still trying to work out the best way of adding feats to powers).

Thanks!

I came out with the same result once I finished creating the character. what I ended up doing for the Baton feats was to use the device as equipment, then use enhanced feat to add the two feats. so the baton has two powers attached to it.

Erroneous
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Erroneous » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:10 pm

I know this is a bit of an old topic, but I'm trying to get Hero Lab 2.3a working with wine 1.1.8 and it installs great. The problem is that when I import a game system it says that it imported it correctly, but in the Select Game dialogue it tries to download/import the game system it just imported. It also happens after importing then restarting the program.

I'd really like to get this working in Linux as my Dell laptop doesn't much like Windows XP and I don't much like Vista (personal reasons, don't want a flame war).

Return to “Hero Lab”