Hero Lab update for Third and Second Edition!

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
hollis
Bystander
Bystander

Hero Lab update for Third and Second Edition!

Postby hollis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:02 pm

New versions of the Mutants & Masterminds Third and Second Edition datasets are now available from the automatic update mechanism within Hero Lab.

This update adds a new feature to Hero Lab - the Encounter Builder. This powerful tool makes building encounters for Mutants & Masterminds faster and easier. You can search through the stock portfolios, looking for an opponent by name, power level, or looking for a specific power. Once you're finished, you can add those enemies to Hero Lab, and use Hero Lab to keep track of the enemies' damage, conditions, etc.
Last edited by hollis on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hollis
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Hero Lab update for Third and Second Edition!

Postby hollis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Here's the complete change list for the third edition update:

Enhancements & Changes
  • Added support for Hero Lab's new Encounter Builder, now accessible from the new Gamemaster menu!
  • You can now add a description for headquarters and vehicles.

Bug Fixes
  • Alternate Resistance wasn't offering the choice between being a 0-cost and a 1-cost extra.
  • Initiative wasn't displaying correctly for characters with split initiative values.

hollis
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hollis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:05 pm

And the change list for the second edition update:

Enhancements & Changes
  • Added support for Hero Lab's new Encounter Builder, now accessible from the new Gamemaster menu!

Bug Fixes
  • Many stock heroes incorrectly had the "Alternate Power as Flaw" ruleset enabled.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:09 pm

I don't know if it has more functionality for other systems, but for M&M the Encounter Builder seems to have replaced the "Import Stock Hero" from the Portfolio menu with a better interface with keyword search capability. That's nice and all, but now it doesn't display the .stock I made of all of the DC characters. What folder do I need to put it in now?
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

hollis
Bystander
Bystander

Postby hollis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:26 am

JDRook wrote:I don't know if it has more functionality for other systems, but for M&M the Encounter Builder seems to have replaced the "Import Stock Hero" from the Portfolio menu with a better interface with keyword search capability. That's nice and all, but now it doesn't display the .stock I made of all of the DC characters. What folder do I need to put it in now?

If those characters aren't showing up in the encounter builder, you may need to open the file and re-save it to update it. Also, you may want to set the 'Sourcebook Name' field on the NPC tab to remind you of where those characters come from.

If that doesn't work, please report it through our normal bug reporting mechanism here.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 am

That didn't work, although the re-save was pretty impressive. The file was ~35mb before, and now it's about 12! I guess you guys have really cleaned up your code.

The Sourcebook Name field is new. I'm not thrilled about doing that 600 times, but I suppose I should go through and make sure everything works right in the new version.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 am

JDRook wrote:That didn't work, although the re-save was pretty impressive. The file was ~35mb before, and now it's about 12! I guess you guys have really cleaned up your code.

I don't know how often you updated the Stock file. I know that the one I have from you from before was pretty old, before they made everything completely XML-based and started zipping everything up.

JDRook wrote:The Sourcebook Name field is new. I'm not thrilled about doing that 600 times, but I suppose I should go through and make sure everything works right in the new version.

:) I may be able to help out with automating adding that if you'd like. I don't know exactly where they store the value, but if you have an example of it for one sourcebook, it should just be a matter of iterating through the XML and changing it, then resaving it.

Return to “Hero Lab”