The Labyrinth School for Metas (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

The Labyrinth School for Metas (OOC)

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:02 am

Generally what it says on the tin. I'm considering running a 4-5 player game in which the PC's are the students at a school for supers in Freedom City (think Claremont Academy, but a lot smaller and run by Daedalus). I'd be shooting for PL 8, and I have some pretty not-flexible restrictions:

1) No healing, no transmutation powers of the anything-to-anything variety.
2) I like characters that are focused in their powers- no 'I have magic so I can do everything'. (Ditto 'I have nannites so I can do everything). The more focused your power-set, the more likely I am to accept the character build
3) Make sure your character has a backstory, including a family (yeah, I'll accept orphans, but even the strangest ones have people they interact with!), friends, enemies, and the like.
4) Assumedly none of the PC's would be heroes yet. They may have done some patrolling, or stopped a crime or two, but none are 'names' in the public yet (I will spoil by saying that will change soon enough...)

And not so much a restriction as a note: The game, while having action and combat, will also be a lot about RP, and a whole lot about investigation and problem-solving, while maintaining what it's like to be a teen-ager.

So, thoughts? Questions? Interests?
Last edited by Crazyivan777 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Interest check: 2nd ed School for Metas

Postby Weyrd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:13 am

Definitely interested. Always like the superhero-school type games. I'll start brainstorming.

What's you thoughts on duplication? Always been interested in playing that type, but always like the 2nd ed rules for it over 3rd.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:28 am

I'm okay with it under certain limitations:

1) Minion-level. No full-power dupes.
2) No more than a small handful, ie- less than, say, 9.
3) Be willing to allow certain levels of GM fiat on the dupes being available / able at certain times. Just having 8 extra PC's can sometimes throw a wrench into things.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:08 pm

All very reasonable limitations. :D

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 pm

A classic, 2e hero academy game... Interested.

As for a character idea, I will need to think on that, because I gotta get ready for work.

EDIT: I have a thought. Any problems with a Wasp Totem?

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Can't think of a specific reason against that, nope.

Oh, one other caveat: No 'deity reborn' or 'deity-given powers' types, for certain campaign reasons.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Got a great idea for my dulplication character. He'd be the cloned offspring of a mad-scientist. He'd have the alias "Lab Rat" He'd have duplication powers (creating an endless supply of lab rats for the mad-scientist) and a few other offensive powers that represent experimental compounds he used on himself to gain those powers. All those powers would have side effects attached to them that would damage/disable the user in some way, making it preferable for a clone to use them. He would currently be living with a foster family after being rescued from the mad-scientist by a local hero. The experimental compounds would be for his own creation, having picked up quite a bit of science from observing his "father."

Sound acceptable (concept-wise at least)?

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Concept sounds good! Just be sure you don't do the 'I can do everything' with your compounds.

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Don't worry, I'll keep them nice and focused. :D

I'm thinking of making it a serum that makes his body explosively unstable. So he (usually a duplicate) might punch an enemy and a small explosion results at the site of the punch which would damage the enemy and the duplicate. Then there could also be an area attack in there. Maybe an auditory dazzle from clapping hands together to create a large boom.

Those are just some early ideas.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm

By "investigating and problem-solving" what do you mean? I'm okay at "push buttons till something happens", but I'm not so great at puzzle solving.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm

It sounds like a really interesting premise. I like the idea of an rp centric teen game.

I have some huge concern though- I don't know much of anything about 2E. I have some of the books, but I'm not much of a mechanics oriented player.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm

I mean checking things out, talking to people, doing research; I'd rather not railroad people through plotlines.

As for 2nd Ed... I'm betting we can find folks willing to lend a hand with character build, at the very least.

Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Bending Equalist » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:58 pm

How often do you expect players to post? I like the premise, but I'm only here on Wednesdays.
Stuff I've Made - Obligatory Character Thread

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 pm

taking a swing at prodigy might be fun, I enjoyed my paragon
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Bending Equalist wrote:How often do you expect players to post? I like the premise, but I'm only here on Wednesdays.

I'm hoping for 2-3 posts per week from folks.

Return to “M&M Game Room”