Starlight Bay (3e Recruitment)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Starlight Bay (3e Recruitment)

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:42 pm

You can afford making the devices Removable by simply dropping three ranks of Persuasion. Why? Because a +17 modifier to Persuasion of all things is already insane, and +20 makes little difference. That is, unless you roll a 2 or something, in which case, you're likely to use a reroll anyways, so it still makes little difference.

deathsap
Cohort
Cohort

Postby deathsap » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Sakuro wrote:Deathsap, goggles, a ring, and gloves are all examples of items that are Removable (you have to be restrained or unconscious for someone to take it away). A sword, gun, or other handheld item would be Easily Removable (someone can disarm you, and take it away with a die roll).

Good thing I made it glasses, (it's just as easy if not easier to knock off someone's glasses then hit something out of someone's hand hand) I forgot to put the Removable on my ring and gloves for a 0 point modifier.
Good Luck!

Lost_Scholar
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Lost_Scholar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 am

How many people were you looking to recruit Xero? I have an idea for a combat luck controller, but am a bit hesitant to submit as I know my schedule over the next month will be pretty hectic.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:08 pm

How big is the magic scene in Starlight Bay anyways? Like, I would figure a more street scene where there arent too many magic users around, and most of which are low level practioners of very focused abilities, and Ethan would be the only one of his calibur in the area, and thus its his responsibility to look out for those who can't. This would be coupled with the idea that most monsters are pretty powerful, but still grounded, save foe the truly mighty beings, like vampire lords or high class fae. So, Ethan would have to have the motivation and responsibility of "If not me, who else?" In a world growing darker and darker as evil and supernatural horrors start to really rear up and come out of hiding.

So, he wouldn't have a secret identity persay, but the concept of magic would be needed to keep secret from the mundane world, and to keep the really dark stuff from getting a hold on this world. A man fighting against the darkness type deal, and struggling to cope with his own temptations and relationship problems, and find ways to stay on the right path and not give into the temptations of darkness. That sound good?

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 pm

I should have history and complications done tomorrow, sorry for the delay, been busy with lots of stuff.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 am

deathsap wrote:Good thing I made it glasses, (it's just as easy if not easier to knock off someone's glasses then hit something out of someone's hand hand) I forgot to put the Removable on my ring and gloves for a 0 point modifier.

As a four-eyes myself, I must concur- Glasses seem plausible for an easily removable item.

Though I would suggest that perhaps the disarm check for such a device be vs Dex or Agi rather than Str, representing grabbing at the glasses/dodging the disarm rather than the more standard disarm opposition of strength: Hold on tight.

@Kenmadragon - Is that second picture Spike?

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:44 am

Uh, no, I just was surfing the web for urban fantasy magic, and saw this dude holding a pentacle on a chain and summoning blue fire, and thought, "cool".

Though, I have glasses as well, and can say that they are pretty to remove. For example, i was fencing during a larp with some friends when my glasses would sometimes slide off if i didn't keep pushing them back onto my brow.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 pm

As far as characters are concerned, we have:

Arrowhawk, the Weapon-Smithing "Hawk" by Walkingdad,
Night Fury the Cat Burglar by Hound,
Unnamed a Vampire by Jemal,
Ace a Powerhouse poster boy with fancy items by Deathsap,
Aberrant the Evolving Missing Link by Sakuro,
Visionary the Eye-Blasting Astrophysicist by Spam,
Ethan Blackstone the Wizard-in-Training by Kenmadragon

All of these are great ideas and will need to sort through them.

I must also agree with glasses being easily removable unless they have some form of a strap on them to keep the glasses from falling off. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in that one. :P

Also, with Hound being only able to post here and there due to his career, I will hold off on his character until he gets back and is settled in. I have also not heard of Walking Dad since the first page, so I will also hold off on his character.

@Lost_Scholar: The idea sounds neat. When you get the chance, post the character and I will have a look-over. I was also going to see about recruiting 5 or 6 to begin with and reopen recruitment later on in the tale if I feel comfortable with adding more to the roster.

That being said, we have 5 total submissions (make that 6 when Last_Scholar posts his character). Also, Jemal, I need a bio of your vampire and a name. Just naming him "Unnamed" just does not feel right to me.

Anyway, that is just about the number I wanted in the first place. Thus, because of the met number and no other interests were posted other that Last_Scholar's, by process of elimination I think I will close recruitment by saying that the lot that submitted characters are in (from Jemal's "unnamed" to Ethan Blackstone). Last_Scholar, once you post your character, I will check things out and throw you in as I see fit when to.

Thank you all for your interests. I will weave all of your character's information in with my tale and the IC will begin. I will post the IC on Saturday due to having work from 12 pm to 9 pm later on today and need to get sleep.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:59 am

His name is at the top of the sheet and has been since I first posted it, people probably just got confused b/c it's the same as my username. Jemal's one of the first characters I ever played and I like to use the name online.

As far as the background, you had initially asked to just see the build so you could judge whether or not it would be OK to the game, and I never worked up a full formal background to post b/c I was waiting on a response.
Based on this, I will assume it's OK and finish that up now.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: Starlight Bay (3e Interest?)

Postby jemal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:06 am

Also, never got responses to these:
jemal wrote:
XeroKhan wrote:4) I said it was a must. I do not require it though. (Is that contradictory? :? )
Only if you're using the words 'must' and 'required' properly. :P
What do you mean by 'it's a must'? do you mean "It will be very difficult for the CHARACTER without"?
(Also this point is in reference to secret identities, correct?)

jemal wrote:
XeroKhan wrote:@Jemal: Most of the Vampire looks alright except for the "Shadowmist" power. If anything else, just get the Insubstantial power and add on the Area Concealment and the Flight.

Um don't want to sound rude, but that's what it already is.. area visual concealment + Insubstantial + Flight. What about it do you want changed?
Or do you mean you don't want it as part of the array?

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 am

All right, character updated with background, also made a few minor adjustments: lowered base awareness, upped enhanced will to compensate, Added a copule benefits, and some small skill point readjustment.

Jemal - PL10 (150 PP)

Abilities: 24pp
STR 0/6 (Enhanced)
STA 0/8 (Enhanced)
DEX 0
AGI 0
FGT 4 (8 pp)
INT 4 (8 pp)
AWE 0
PRE 4 (8 pp)

Speed: 60mph
Init: +8
Offenses:
Specific Attacks:
Khopesh: +10, Toughness DC 25, Crit 19-20 (Improved Trip&Disarm)
Blood Drain: +8, Fort DC 22 (Cumulative, Grab Based)
*Impaired&Vulnerable, Defenseless&Disabled, Controlled&Transformed*
Mesmerizing Gaze: Perception Will DC 20 (Visual sense dependant, Concentration)
*Entranced, Compelled, Controlled*

Defenses: (0 pp)
Dodge: +8 (+8 Enhanced)
Parry: +8 (4 fgt +4 Enhanced)
Toughness: +12 (8 sta +4 Equipment)
Fort +10 (8 sta +2 Enhanced)
Will +10 (+10 Enhanced)

Skills: (51 ranks = 17pp) *3/rank*
Athletics(+10/4), Deception(+5/1), Insight(+12/12), Intimidation(+10/6), Investigation(+12/8), Perception(+10/10), Persuasion(+5/1)
Expertise: Business; Law; Criminal; Military, Current Events(+5/1), Politics, History(+6/2)
*W/Blood Mask: Deception&Persuasion +15, Intimidation +20*

Advantages: 16
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4: (Cipher, Finger in Every Pie, Wealth 2), Defensive Attack, Equipment 1, Fearless, Jack of all Trades, Luck 2, Power Attack, Languages 3(English, German, French, Norse, Ancient Egyptian, Modern Egyptian, Greek, Latin, Sumerian)
Vampiric Bonuses: Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2
Presence Bonuses: Attractive, Connected, Contacts, Well Informed
*W/Blood Mask: Attractive 2, Skill Mastery 2(Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion)

Powers: 93
Immortality 2 {1 week} (Limited: Beheaded & Staked -1/rank, Blood Pool -1/rank): *1/2 ranks* 1pp
Immunity: All Environments, Suffocation, Disease, Poison, Aging: 10pp
Regeneration 2: (Limited: Sunlight -1/rank) *1/rank*: 2p
Vampiric Vigor: Strength+6; Stamina +8; Fortitude +2; Leaping 2; Improved Grab&Hold; (Limited: Sunlight -1/rank): 17pp
Vampiric Swiftness: Dodge+8; Parry +4; Speed&Quickness +4; Wall Crawling; Improved Initiative 2(Limited: Sunlight -1/rank): 12pp
Vampiric Majesty: Will +10 (Limited: Sunlight -1/rank): 5pp
Vampiric Senses: 4p +4p +4p = 12pp
-Enhanced Vision: Darkvision, Extended, Rapid: 4p
-Enhanced Hearing: Accurate, Extended, Rapid, Ultrahearing: 4p
-Enhanced Olfactory: Ranged, Acute, Extended, Tracking&Analytical(Limited: Blood -1/rank): 4p

Blood Powers: 26p Array + 4 AP = 28PP
-Blood Mask: 12p + 14p = 26p
--Morph 3 (humanoids, Limited: People he's fed on -1/rank) *4/rank*: 12p
--Enhanced Intimidate, Deception, Persuasion +10, Attractive, Skill Mastery 3(Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion): 14p
-AP: Drain Blood: Affliction 12 (Fort, Cumulative +1/rank, Extra Condition +1/rank, Grab Based -1/rank, Accurate 2) *2/rank+2*: 26p
-AP: Mesmerizing Gaze: 10p + 16p = 26p
--Affliction 10 (Will, Perception +2/rank, Concentration +1/rank, Sense-Dependant:Vision -1/rank, Blood Pool -1/rank, Limited: Sunlight -1/rank) *1/rank*: 10p
*Entranced, Compelled, Controlled*
--Linked Weaken Awareness 8 (Perception +2/rank, Limited: Sunlight -1/rank) *2/rank*: 16p
-AP: Blood Healing: 26p
--Healing 12 (Persistant +1/rank, Restorative +1/rank, Ressurection +1/rank, Blood Pool -1/rank, Limited: Sunlight -1/rank, Distracting -1/rank, Feature 2: Addiction) *2/rank+2*: 26p
-AP: Shadowmist: 12p +8p +6p = 26p
--Concealment 4(All Visual, Attack, Cloud Area +3/rank, Blood Pool -1/rank, Limited: Sunlight -1/rank) *3/rank: 12p
--Linked Insubstantial 2 (Limited: Sunlight -1/rank) *4/rank*: 8p
--Linked Flight 6(Limited: Sunlight): 6p

Ancient Royal Khopesh: (10 - 4 easily removable) = 6pp
-Damage 4 (Str-based, Improved Crit, Accurate 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip): 10p

Equipment: 5 +10 for base
Chain Reinforced Trenchcoat (Protection 4, Subtle): 5ep

Base: Victorian Home
-Size: Large (2p);
-Features: Communications, Computer, Grounds, Library, Living Spce, Personnel, Secret, Security System

COST: 24 Abilities +0 Defenses +17 Skills +16 Advantages +93 Powers = 150/150

Complications:
Motivations: Justice & Repentance
Old Honour Code: Jemal has an ancient code of honour mixed from his time with Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and Norse warriors.
Bloodthirst: Jemals bloodthirst was not just a facet of him being a 'bad guy', but a biological need, and though he tries to keep it under control with regular small feedigns, sometimes the call of the blood is hard to ignore
Vampire Preconceptions: To some this acts like Fame, to others like Prejudice
Vulnerability: Silver touching his skin burns
Weakness: Silver weapons have increased effect
Weakness: Fire damage heals slowly

Background:

Jemal is an ancient Egyptian Vampire.. through the ages he's been monster, villain, tyrant, prophet, savior, and martyr..

He claims to have been an essential component of both the rise and fall of classical greek and roman civilization, the sacking of babylon, and the death of christ. He says the great pyramid of Giza was actually built at his command as a reward for a pharaoh who served him well, and that the Vandals were his idea. None of these claims can be substantiated, but it would be dangerous to call him a liar nonetheless.

After millenia of roaming the earth and growing in power, he became bored with his eternal life, and In the 10th century, Jemal distributed his wealth and power among his descendants and joined the norse vikings. Over the next century he sailed and pillaged, until finally coming to the Americas with his friend Leif, where he finally chose to part ways with the vikings. After exploring the vast wilderness for several years, he finally chose to go to sleep in a small cove near the sea.

When the vampire awoke, he realized he had slept nearly through the entire millenia - 9 centuries had passed and he found himself severely weakened. Not only that but humanity had spread and prospered, and his secluded resting place was no longer so far from civilization.. Jemal spent the first decades of the 20th century catching up on current events and realizing that between the recent surges in technology and powerful metahumans, and his centuries of entropy, he was no longer a god among men. This excited him. Over the second half of the 20th century, Jemal grew accustomed to modern times and began reconstituting his powerbase in the town that had sprung up near his resting place.

Early on he developed a raport with the Skiey family, and the business between them has been beneficial for decades. He also has ties to Blaze corporation and has been secretly aiding the Samoht family from 'extraordinary' threats.

By the dawn of the new millenia, Jemal was once more an influential and powerful man, but his centuries of sleep had somewhat relaxed him, and given him a new perspective, a fresh and broader outlook on life, along with new motivations and goals..

DURING DAYLIGHT:
Jemal - PL10 (150 PP)

Abilities: 24pp
STR 0
STA 0
DEX 0
AGI 0
FGT 4 (8 pp)
INT 4 (8 pp)
AWE 0
PRE 4 (8 pp)

Offenses:
Specific Attacks:
Khopesh: +10, Toughness DC 19, Crit 19-20 (Improved Trip&Disarm)
Blood Drain: +8, Fort DC 22 (Cumulative, Grab Based)

Defenses: (0 pp)
Dodge: +0
Parry: +4 (4 fgt)
Toughness: +4 (4 Equipment)
Fort +0
Will +0

Skills: (51 ranks = 17pp) *3/rank*
Athletics(+4/4), Deception(+5/1), Insight(+12/12), Intimidation(+10/6), Investigation(+12/8), Perception(+10/10), Persuasion(+5/1)
Expertise: Business; Law; Criminal; Military, Current Events(+5/1), Politics, History(+6/2)
*W/Blood Mask: Deception&Persuasion +15, Intimidation +20*

Advantages: 16
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit 4: (Cipher, Finger in Every Pie, Wealth 2), Defensive Attack, Equipment 1, Fearless, Jack of all Trades, Luck 2, Power Attack, Languages 3(English, German, French, Norse, Ancient Egyptian, Modern Egyptian, Greek, Latin, Sumerian)
Presence Bonuses: Attractive, Connected, Contacts, Well Informed
*W/Blood Mask: Attractive 2, Skill Mastery 2(Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion)

Powers: 57
Vampiric Senses: 4p +4p +4p = 12pp
-Enhanced Vision: Darkvision, Extended, Rapid: 4p
-Enhanced Hearing: Accurate, Extended, Rapid, Ultrahearing: 4p
-Enhanced Olfactory: Ranged, Acute, Extended, Tracking&Analytical(Limited: Blood -1/rank): 4p
Immortality 2 {1 week} (Limited: Beheaded & Staked -1/rank, Blood Pool -1/rank): *1/2 ranks* 1pp
Immunity: All Environments, Suffocation, Disease, Poison, Aging: 10pp

Blood Powers: 26p Array + 1 AP = 28PP
-Blood Mask: 12p + 14p = 26p
--Morph 3 (humanoids, Limited: People he's fed on -1/rank) *4/rank*: 12p
--Enhanced Intimidate, Deception, Persuasion +10, Attractive, Skill Mastery 2(Deception, Intimidation), Benefit: Cipher: 14p
-AP: Drain Blood: Affliction 12 (Fort, Cumulative +1/rank, Extra Condition +1/rank, Grab Based -1/rank, Accurate 2) *2/rank+2*: 26p

Ancient Royal Khopesh: (10 - 4 easily removable) = 6pp
-Damage 4 (Str-based, Improved Crit, Accurate 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip): 10p

Equipment: 5 +10 for base
Chain Reinforced Trenchcoat (Protection 4, Subtle): 5ep

Base: Victorian Home
-Size: Large (2p);
-Features: Communications, Computer, Grounds, Library, Living Spce, Personnel, Secret, Security System

COST: 24 Abilities +0 Defenses +17 Skills +16 Advantages +57 Powers = 114/150

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Starlight Bay (3e Interest?)

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:33 am

XeroKhan wrote:Also, never got responses to these:
jemal wrote:
XeroKhan wrote:4) I said it was a must. I do not require it though. (Is that contradictory? :? )
Only if you're using the words 'must' and 'required' properly. :P
What do you mean by 'it's a must'? do you mean "It will be very difficult for the CHARACTER without"?
(Also this point is in reference to secret identities, correct?)

Yes, it would be very difficult for the character without.

jemal wrote:
XeroKhan wrote:@Jemal: Most of the Vampire looks alright except for the "Shadowmist" power. If anything else, just get the Insubstantial power and add on the Area Concealment and the Flight.

Um don't want to sound rude, but that's what it already is.. area visual concealment + Insubstantial + Flight. What about it do you want changed?
Or do you mean you don't want it as part of the array?

Ok, My mistake there.

Also, yes, I did get confused with the character's name.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 am

cool, looks like things're good to go from my end then. :)

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for the recruit, though I will likely be changing some of the complications around and actually putting up a bare bones backstory. Likely to make Rob more of an annoyance, and just change it to him owning the apothecary, and have Ms. Lang run it for him (which explains the rank of wealth as both income from the shop and his own inheritance from his family).

Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Walking Dad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Holding my character of is fine, as I will likely not able to post much next week. I will be traveling to receive training for my apprenticeship.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds

Return to “M&M Game Room”