Discord (3E PL12) OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Discord (3E PL12) OOC

Postby baixiwei » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:47 pm

The bugs have distributed themselves in such a way that they basically form a dome centered approximately on where you are. The dome is 700-800 feet high and twice as wide. The bugs are distributed irregularly over the dome but there is at least 20-30 feet between any two bugs.

The transport remnants have just started to fall and are also 700-800 feet up in the air.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:34 am

Yeah, if it's OK Dynamite will just redirect that second attack at one of the falling pieces.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:15 am

Whose turn is it?

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:21 am

Astra's turn, according to the GM post.
RIP Angel 1989-2011

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:38 am

Sorry, yeah, it is Astra's turn although she can feel free to wait for me to resolve Dynamite & Golem's actions which I'll do tonight, or not wait as she prefers.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Hey guys, sorry to take so long to post. There are some complex actions to resolve and I've been <excuses go here>.

@ Mendicant, I'm going to disallow "Fades" as a Flaw for a power-stunted power, on the grounds that the disadvantage of Fades really only comes into play for powers that you would be using a lot. It's true that you use it twice here, but I don't think that's enough to be worth a full flaw. After all, without the flaw it is a 40-point power and the second use, at rank 7, is still a 35-point power, while the array is only a 32-point array, so despite the flaw both the first and second uses of the power are more powerful than your actual array. Doesn't seem kosher.

You could re-spec this as a rank 6 power without the Fades flaw and do the same action, or change your action, as you prefer.

EDIT: also, I'm going to rule that a second use of a Distracting power in one round will make you Defenseless, not Vulnerable, since otherwise the second use would effectively not be flawed at all. You can revise your action based on this if you like.

@ Astra, let's have a Perception check, since although the base is providing the raw sensory input, it is you who will have to actually notice anything potentially relevant in that information. And probably in a given round you will need to direct your attention to some particular thing or location.

I'll try to resolve stuff quickly after getting replies to the above. Sorry again for the delay.

Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mendicant » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:24 pm

baixiwei wrote:
@ Mendicant, I'm going to disallow "Fades" as a Flaw for a power-stunted power, on the grounds that the disadvantage of Fades really only comes into play for powers that you would be using a lot. It's true that you use it twice here, but I don't think that's enough to be worth a full flaw. After all, without the flaw it is a 40-point power and the second use, at rank 7, is still a 35-point power, while the array is only a 32-point array, so despite the flaw both the first and second uses of the power are more powerful than your actual array. Doesn't seem kosher.

You could re-spec this as a rank 6 power without the Fades flaw and do the same action, or change your action, as you prefer.

EDIT: also, I'm going to rule that a second use of a Distracting power in one round will make you Defenseless, not Vulnerable, since otherwise the second use would effectively not be flawed at all. You can revise your action based on this if you like.

Fair enough, PL 6 area attack, Golem is now exhausted and defenseless- makes things more heroic anyway. Post was updated.
Insert solipsism here

Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mendicant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

@ Baixiwei
I think you only calculated based upon one cone; you said:

By my rough calculations comparing the surface area of the base of a 900 foot cone to the surface area of a 750-foot radius hemisphere, still only about 2/9 of the bugs are in the combined areas of effect. 40 are affected, 25 die. An additional 5 die from secondary effect, leaving 140 now in the air (and more in the transport).

A cone with a height and width of 900 ft has a volume of 190,925,100 cubic feet. I used this twice, in both directions:

190,925,100 cubic feet x 2 = 381,850,200 cubic feet

A sphere with a radius of 750 ft has a volume of 1,767,825,000, ergo a hemisphere has a volume of: 1,767,825,000 / 2 = 883,912,500

the volume of 2 cones divided by the hemisphere yields: 381,850,200 / 883,912,500 = .432
or 43%.
Insert solipsism here

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 pm

@ Mendicant, no, I was calculating based on two cones. The reason for the discrepancy is because I made the calculation based on surface area, not volume. Because the insects are distributed along the surface of a hemisphere, not evenly throughout the hemisphere, the best you can do is maximize the percentage of that surface area covered by each cone. I assumed that would be achieved by having the base of each cone lie approximately along the surface of the hemisphere. You are welcome to attempt demonstrating that you can get better coverage than I calculated on that basis, though.

@ Moira, from your current movement speed at Flight 2 I do not think you can get close enough to the bugs to attack them. They are all about 900 feet away, which happens to be the maximum distance from which they can dive bomb and return to their original positions in one round. You might either switch forms to get faster speed (a standard action), or keep your attack as a held action until the bugs get closer, or something else. Also please note that due to their broad spacing right now, a normal 60 foot cone can really only catch a few of them.
Last edited by baixiwei on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mendicant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Ah, I did not read "forming a dome" as literally as I should. I suspect I could have achieved something on par with this by using the surge to take a move action up to 900ft and blasting along the edge of the dome and then flying back to the ground. Nevertheless, this has grown complicated enough so I'll leave well enough alone.
Insert solipsism here

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

OK, have a HP for your trouble

Mendicant
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Mendicant » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm

baixiwei wrote:OK, have a HP for your trouble

no trouble at all, but I'll take the HP regardless
Insert solipsism here

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 pm

@ Moira, are you still with us? Please let me know whether / how you're revising your action based on what I said above in this thread.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:04 am

Apologize for the delay everyone. I will move us forward tonight if I haven't heard from Moira by then.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 am

No problems. :)

Moira hasn't responded to her own recruitment thread in a few days.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Return to “M&M Game Room”