Discord (3E PL12) OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Discord (3E PL12) OOC

Postby baixiwei » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm

This is the recruitment and OOC thread for Discord, a one-shot 3E PL 12 game.

Far in the distance, a golden shape floats gently in a vast black expanse. It is not empty space, for the very air seems vibrant and alive, suffused with sounds and colors just beyond the range of human perception. The golden shape draws nearer, or perhaps it is you, the observer, who has drawn nearer, crossing the unimaginable distance in moments without the sensation of motion. Even nearby, the shape remains indistinct. For a moment, it seems like a perfect sphere; then like a castle, graceful minarets stretching out in all directions without regard to gravity; then again like a drop of liquid, constantly reshaping itself in response to some invisible force in the surrounding ether.

Again without the sensation of intermediate motion, you find yourself inside a vast hall. The walls of the castle shimmer constantly with an internal light flowing through pathways beneath the surface, like electricity through circuits or blood through veins. At the end of the hall is a throne of gold, and on the throne sits a man. He is black, handsome and well-built, clad in white garments soaked in scarlet from a dozen wounds. You recognize him as the mysterious metahuman known as Amber, the Lord of Time. Though Amber's existence is well-known, at least to major governments and intelligence organizations, his motivations and origins are shrouded in mystery. None of you have ever seen him before.

Amber's voice sounds from across the hall like the deep tones of a pipe organ. "Welcome, heroes. I'm sorry I cannot stand to greet you ... and that I could not ask your permission before bringing you here. But I had no choice. The world faces a threat to its very existence ... a threat that only you can defeat."

Campaign background:
  • Characters will belong to a Justice-League style team that deals with global threats. The tone will be modern age, i.e. unambiguously heroic / idealistic but with a touch of realism. So, no antiheroes or cartoonish characters. Most usual comic-book concepts and origins are OK except no extraterrestrial origins (aliens or powers that come from aliens). Characters are assumed to belong to a team and know each other from before the beginning of the campaign. It will be cool if you riff off of each others' backgrounds.

Character creation guidelines:
  • You may exchange a PL for 15 points or vice versa, so the options are PL11/195 points, PL12/180 points (the default), or PL13/165 points.
  • Impervious works as in 2E, i.e. damage rank below your impervious rank has no effect. Penetrating works as in 3E, i.e. targets with impervious make a resistance check against your penetrating rank.
  • Every rank of Presence grants a Presence-related advantage, such as Inspire, relevant Features, Attractive, Connected, Contacts, etc., or a +1 to Will resistance, your option (please indicate in your character sheet).
  • A custom advantage, Specialty (Ranked), may be purchased for 1 point per rank. Specialty is essentially Skill (Limited). 1 point in Specialty grants a +4 bonus to skill checks for a limited application of a certain skill, such as Expertise (Science) for Physics, Insight for resisting combat effects like feint, etc.
  • Each rank of the Language advantage up to 3 buys the ability to speak, understand, and read 4 languages. 4-5 ranks buy very large numbers of languages, with the exact specification up to you. An example would be all human languages for 5 ranks, or all non-dead human languages for 4 ranks. 6 ranks buys all languages, just as if you'd bought Comprehend 3.
  • I prefer clean, simple builds but I am not averse to custom advantages & powers as long as they are reasonable and readable. (2E-like versions of Obscure come to mind.)

Submissions are invited for 3 to 4 slots. An additional 4 slots are reserved for the following players: Ysariel, Gilliam, Neo-Paladin, and Mendicant. Thus, the total number of players will ideally be 7-8. The deadline for recruitment is Saturday, July 27.
Last edited by baixiwei on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Discord (3E PL12 OOC) - Recruiting till July 27

Postby Plan B » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:58 am

Anyone word/hints on what Ysariel, Gilliam, Neo-Paladin, and Mendicant are playing?
    Insert witty comment here.

Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 am

Thinking of either making a "mental paragon" in the vein of Thundermind of the Great Ten. Alternatively, a warrior who is a reincarnation of Guan Yu, the deified Chinese general and patron of honourable combat.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:30 am

Would you mind repitched ideas that didn't make it into other games or would you prefer something new?

For existing characters that could be modded to the campaign, I've got:
James Kingson, aka "Paragon" - a crippled scientist who gains Telekinetic powers and uses them to simulate 'superman' style powers
James Carson, aka "Optic" - a rich businessman, Very smart and persuassive, with a mutant power of enhanced vision (He has pretty much every visual power you could think of, up to and including eye-lasers).
Hemlock - a human-plant hybrid. Myriad of plant-related powers (Vines, pheremones, toxins, plant control)
Danielle Dynamite - a stripper who becomes a living Transducer and battery: Able to absorb, store, and release energy in various forms. (Nullify energy, energy blasts, and environment control heat/cold)

Any of those sound good or should I come up with something new?

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:44 am

@ Plan B, I believe Ysariel is planning a crime fighter / peak human type, for Neo Paladin see above, I am not sure about the others.

@ Neo Paladin, I do not know who Thundermind is, but those ideas both sound fine.

@ Jemal, I am fine with either new or recycled characters. All of the ideas sound fine. The Paragon idea might overlap with Neo Paladin's mental paragon if he makes that.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:21 am

Placeholder for now, but considering a flight-based speedster character. Perhaps with wings.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:58 pm

@ Crazyivan, sounds cool, looking forward to it.

Gilliam
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Gilliam » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:10 pm

I'm thinking of a human/animal hybrid maybe using a Tiger as the base.

Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Plan B » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm considering a pure powerhouse or a battle suit. (It may end up a very bricky battle suit)
    Insert witty comment here.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:05 pm

All these ideas sound fine.

Arknight
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Arknight » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Interested... will see about an idea... possibly a size/mass manipulator

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:24 pm

@ Arknight, sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing it.

By the way, I've been advised that Mendicant will most likely play a PL13 powerhouse type. So, for the guaranteed slots, we have:

Ysariel - crimefighter / peak human with super-science gadgets
Gilliam - human / tiger hybrid
Neo-Paladin - mental paradon or reincarnation of Chinese demigod of combat
Mendicant - powerhouse

If any of the above players change their minds, please post here so everyone will know. Other players submitting should probably work around the above niches, as I believe in niche protection and will give priority to the guaranteed players.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:27 pm

By the way, please note that I have added a house rule regarding the Language advantage in the original post.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:55 pm

I have an idea for a shapeshifter daughter of Aphrodite. While she would lean towards sly trickster, she would nonetheless be heroic. Two questions Is this viable? And if so, is the Greek pantheon a thing in your world or would I have to pick a different parent?
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Return to “M&M Game Room”