Far in the distance, a golden shape floats gently in a vast black expanse. It is not empty space, for the very air seems vibrant and alive, suffused with sounds and colors just beyond the range of human perception. The golden shape draws nearer, or perhaps it is you, the observer, who has drawn nearer, crossing the unimaginable distance in moments without the sensation of motion. Even nearby, the shape remains indistinct. For a moment, it seems like a perfect sphere; then like a castle, graceful minarets stretching out in all directions without regard to gravity; then again like a drop of liquid, constantly reshaping itself in response to some invisible force in the surrounding ether.
Again without the sensation of intermediate motion, you find yourself inside a vast hall. The walls of the castle shimmer constantly with an internal light flowing through pathways beneath the surface, like electricity through circuits or blood through veins. At the end of the hall is a throne of gold, and on the throne sits a man. He is black, handsome and well-built, clad in white garments soaked in scarlet from a dozen wounds. You recognize him as the mysterious metahuman known as Amber, the Lord of Time. Though Amber's existence is well-known, at least to major governments and intelligence organizations, his motivations and origins are shrouded in mystery. None of you have ever seen him before.
Amber's voice sounds from across the hall like the deep tones of a pipe organ. "Welcome, heroes. I'm sorry I cannot stand to greet you ... and that I could not ask your permission before bringing you here. But I had no choice. The world faces a threat to its very existence ... a threat that only you can defeat."
- Characters will belong to a Justice-League style team that deals with global threats. The tone will be modern age, i.e. unambiguously heroic / idealistic but with a touch of realism. So, no antiheroes or cartoonish characters. Most usual comic-book concepts and origins are OK except no extraterrestrial origins (aliens or powers that come from aliens). Characters are assumed to belong to a team and know each other from before the beginning of the campaign. It will be cool if you riff off of each others' backgrounds.
Character creation guidelines:
- You may exchange a PL for 15 points or vice versa, so the options are PL11/195 points, PL12/180 points (the default), or PL13/165 points.
- Impervious works as in 2E, i.e. damage rank below your impervious rank has no effect. Penetrating works as in 3E, i.e. targets with impervious make a resistance check against your penetrating rank.
- Every rank of Presence grants a Presence-related advantage, such as Inspire, relevant Features, Attractive, Connected, Contacts, etc., or a +1 to Will resistance, your option (please indicate in your character sheet).
- A custom advantage, Specialty (Ranked), may be purchased for 1 point per rank. Specialty is essentially Skill (Limited). 1 point in Specialty grants a +4 bonus to skill checks for a limited application of a certain skill, such as Expertise (Science) for Physics, Insight for resisting combat effects like feint, etc.
- Each rank of the Language advantage up to 3 buys the ability to speak, understand, and read 4 languages. 4-5 ranks buy very large numbers of languages, with the exact specification up to you. An example would be all human languages for 5 ranks, or all non-dead human languages for 4 ranks. 6 ranks buys all languages, just as if you'd bought Comprehend 3.
- I prefer clean, simple builds but I am not averse to custom advantages & powers as long as they are reasonable and readable. (2E-like versions of Obscure come to mind.)
Submissions are invited for 3 to 4 slots. An additional 4 slots are reserved for the following players: Ysariel, Gilliam, Neo-Paladin, and Mendicant. Thus, the total number of players will ideally be 7-8. The deadline for recruitment is Saturday, July 27.