[Recruiting Closed] Sky Pirates inspired by One Piece

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

[Recruiting Closed] Sky Pirates inspired by One Piece

Postby EPIC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Alright, gonna try to set up shop once again.

I love One Piece. I have seen three different OP games come and go, and it makese sad because I like the setting, the tone, the humor amd the actions. They all just have that right resonance with me that makes it so enjoyable to me. I also know it's not for everyone, and I also know that running a game in the OP-verse is difficult due to the nature of the source material.

So here is the sudden inspiration I had; an alternate universe. The tone and settimg are very much similar, but instead of the ocean, pirates sail the skies among islands tethered by massive, ancient and by all accounts, invincible anchor chains that drop down into the ocean below. There IS land on the ocean below, even people, but the adventure and Grand Line are in the skies.

Devil fruits are still a thing, though the ocean weakness is basically irrelevant, but Sea Stone is still viable. Anything from the anime can still work here. Instead of the merfolk. Considering an alternative to the sky people already in the anime as an alternative to merfolk types with the same sort of function.

The anime's story itself is a non-factor, nor are the characters. ALMOST any devil fruit will be available though they follow the same rules. I have a few I want for story and NPC purposes, but most of the ones seen in the show will be up for grabs.

Other elements like Rokushiki, Technologies and Haki are also available elements, and I will also consider new elements not from the show so long as they have a natural fit to the setting. It'll be case by case.

So... Anyone interested in something like this?

I should note now it will be 3E with options from 2E available on case to case if absolutely necessary. There will likely be some house rules for some things as well.

Last edited by EPIC on Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Sky Pirates inspired by One Piece [Interest]

Postby EnigmaticOne » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Yeah, I like it.
Impeach the peach!

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Well, that's one! :P

Weyrd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Weyrd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Sounds interesting to me, but I'd like to hear a bit more about the relationship of our characters to each other (assuming we'd be a pirate crew, but are we newly formed or well established? Are we under an NPC captain or will one of the characters be captain?)

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [Interest] Sky Pirates inspired by One Piece

Postby Arthur Eld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Yea, I'd like to know more. Like you said, a bunch of One Piece games have failed. Why would this one be different?

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Can never really say how one game will be different from another. I CAN say it'll be the only 3E one I've seen :P

I can also say that since I am opening up the floor for all kinds of stuff that were not possible in the other games since they were going by the One Piece timeline, thus including NPCs from the anime which conversely cut off certain options, this will also be different in that respect. So, slightly less limitations as least as far as what going more by the anime would limit.

As for the crew and their origins, I can't really say yet. I don't want to plan TOOO much into it before I know if it will get through interest :P

I mean, I could do a NPC captain, but how fun would that be for you guys? It would be railroading, and takes a lot of the spirit out of it to have a captain that doesn't actively participate. I would also like the crew to fill certain jobs aboard the ship as well, but beyond those, whatevs. Almost anyone can pilot an airship with a little training (A few ranks in an expertise), then you'll need a mechanic/shipwright and a navigator. Beyond those two things, whatever.

As long as you have one of each of those things, the crew will be fine piloting wise. The airship will be provided (in a sense...it'll be factored into the cost, but *I* will be building it, at least up front. Modifications can be paid for later on for certain)

I don't know yet if the crew is established or is going to meet for the first time at the onset of the game. Every game that launched here started with the latter, so maybe I'll leave it up to the players to decide which they want if we get that far.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 am

Any more questions or interested peoples?

Since it's a nichy game, I'd be happy to start with 3 (which gives a navigator and shipwright possibly with third ending up as captain possibly maybe) and bring in others along the way. That's how the anime goes about it in ajy case. Started with Luffy, Zoro and Nami, then added Usopp and Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Frankie and Brooke all came along in due course.

So it wouldn't be out of sort. Though if that is the case, I'm going to want to be sure the characters are distinct amd have broad coverage in skills.

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Well...99 views, only three people seem to be interested so far.

I'll give it the weekend to see what happens.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 pm

I'd like a little more information, personally. What PL? What's the general tone of the game?-One Piece has moments that are very lighthearted, and very dark, with serious and comical characters coexisting. That can be kind of hard to capture in a game.

What's the general outline of the story you see unfolding in the game?

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Looking around PL8-10. Probably starting at 8 with generous progression.

As for the tone, I know it can be a hard thing to capture, but that's what HP incentives are for. That contrasting dance of different tones taking place in context of scenes and what's happening is part of what makes One Piece what it is.

I do intend to hand out HP for successfully capturing that unique blend of tones. EVen serious characters like Zoro have silly moments and quirks, and Sanji, who for the most part is a serious character, turns into a retarded mess around women.

Or silly characters like Chopper and Luffy that has deadly serious scenes in those high pressure moments, the do-or-die moments against powerful enemies.

I intend for this game to be difficult, because consider....when is the last time the Strawhat crew came out of a fight unscathed? Or with Luffy and Zoro at least not beaten past what would kill a normal man with the rest of the crew sporting damage to some degree or another (Nami and Robin of course tend to get a pass as women, but they still deal with hardships)

As for the plot itself, it runs similar lines to One Piece, there is a vast treasure gathered by the previous King of Pirates who was recently caught and executed but mentioned this treasure which started of the new age of pirates.

I was thinking of having the characters actually starting on the ground looking to steal an airship....whether they are already a crew or just happened to have their eyes set on the same airship as individuals can be decided later on, and of course I want each character to sort of have a dream. A different dream each, because it lends to diversity.

I don't have much too set in stone because I want the player characters to have some impact on it, not simply be swept along with things that have nothing to do with them.

mrbassman
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby mrbassman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Count me in. I love One Piece. I know they haven't done too well, but I'd certainly be willing to give it a shot.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:34 am

Four is good for a niche game, so I'll go ahead and say you guys can start building. Since there are only four of yoh, it's fair odds I'll just take the lots of ya, so go ahead and dialogue what you guys want to see as a crew.

I think this might be a good way to go about it since then I don't have to worry as much about how characters will get along, since you guys can figure that out and actually put it in the design.

Also, you can decide if you want to be a pre-established crew or to meet during the first scene.

Now for the crunchy bits, we are using 3E, and I am thinking PL8 120pp with generous progression. Still working o the specifics of that, but I'll let you know what I come up with (HP to PP exchange maybe?)

Elements from 2E can be run by me and I may allow as is, or suggest a 3E variant. Some things don't translate cleanly over or were redone in a different way (see Affliction), but some Feats were thematically very good. So 2E feats have a better chance of being allowed than powers, but you can always ask.

The ship will be provided, but can be upgraded later by spending PP towards it. You can have personal transportation, but nothing like a whole extra ship or anything that sophisticated. Nothing that can be a substitute for the ship.

HQs will be pointless, so don't worry yourself with them.

And yeah... If you have any questions or a power you want to run by me since it's not in One Piece canon, ask away.

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [Recruiting] Sky Pirates inspired by One Piece

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 am

Basic concept I want to throw out there: My guy is the pilot/navigator, fighting with a pair of escrima sticks that are devices which include electrical taser functions, and having a Zoro like ability to shrug off injury and keep fighting.

He would be one of the more serious characters (with quirks of course), since his dream involves rescuing his enslaved sister from the World Noble who owns her. That Noble incidentally shot him and he was left for dead.
Impeach the peach!

EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:11 am

Love it. Has that tragic past element that I like about tue Strawhat crew. Gives me a plot point to work with as well as a goal for you besides One Piece itself and supporting whoever inevitably plans to do the pirate king angle.

Run with it.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 am

I wish to express my interest, but am unsure if I can be here for the entirety of recruiting as I will be going on a trip from the 14th till the 29th, and won't have internet for that duration. My thought was to combine my two favorite types of pirate, One Piece and Pirates of the Carribean to create a swaggering lackadaisical pirate with a great sense of humour and for some reason manages to do the most insane things that by all rights shouldn't work. Yup, Captain John Finch of the White Ruby! (Or something like that). This pirate has quite a history and a slight reputation to go with his name. A notorious pirate, known for carousing about and managing to somehow irritate and annoy several people at once, yet manages to get by on sheer charm, wit, and a good deal of luck. It also helps that he is nigh immortal, having eaten a devil fruit that allows him to heal his injuries faster than normal and survive in conditions others cannot.

Return to “M&M Game Room”