Greek God Game (OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Greek God Game (OOC)

Postby Bending Equalist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 am

:arrow: 3e, PL10, 200pp

Starting in the eighties, the Greek pantheon started getting lip service which eventually turned into earnest worship. The Hellenic deities, long slumbering due to nonbelief, manifested to the world in the year 2015. Their actual presence shook the world in more ways than one. In the following years their faith and worship grew. Other religions fell by the wayside due to nonexistant proof. Politics changed to support whoever the public wanted to win. Demigod children were born once again.

Cut to the year 2045. The world is more learned thanks to Athena. Technology is nearing the end of the Fusion Age (think Batman Beyond) thanks to Hephaestus. Wars are short and decisive thanks to Ares. Demeter and Artemis make sure no one goes hungry. Other gods have their means and purposes. Life is good.

The one thing the gods do not keep in check are their half-mortal children. Unless it's absolutely necessary, they believe they will police themselves. This has created an age of superheroes and supervillains. This is where you guys come in.

This will be an episodic game with stories built around characters.

Available parents: Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Dionysus, Demeter, Hephaestus, Heracles, Hermes, Poseidon, Zeus

Unavailable parents: Artemis (virgin), Asclepius (dead), Athena (virgin), Hades (happily married to Persephone), Hebe (faithful to Heracles), Hera (faithful to Zeus), Hestia (virgin), Pan (dead), Persephone (happily married to Hades)

If you wish to have an unavailable parent favor and/or adopt you, go ahead.

Others deities and powers have not manifested yet. Oh, they're there, but not in any physical sense.

Creatures (nymphs, satyrs, minotaurs*, medusas*, centaurs, cyclopses, et cetera) are out there and sometimes interact with humanity. *Yes, I know these were singular beings. There are more now.

Characters

Thane Moros, Hades/Persephone - Weyrd
Alexander Paris, Hermes - jemal
James Galloway, Hephaestus - mrbassman
Pacifica Asutilla, Poseidon - Spam
Lucas Pillar/Beacon, Apollo - Nillaman
Morgan, Poseidon - Bladewind

Former Characters
Liliana Vette, Hades - Hound
Aricles, Heracles - Mark Reuter

Other Applicants
Stanford Meriwether, Hermes - ursinethemadbear
Helis, Ares - Evolución
Thunder, Zeus - Bombaatu
Elene Paros, Athena - Prof Weird

Incomplete Timeline wrote:Early 80s

A handful of proselytizers begin spreading the word of an ancient faith in the heartland of America. It's met with derision and some unfortunate persecution, but the Hellenic pagans are adamant.

Mid 80s

Several temples and shrines are built across the states and Canada, They even start their own international ministries.

Early 90s

Hellenismos finds it's way into the media. Movies, television shows and comic books are made about Greek heroes. They are highly popular. While saw as a media fad it grew for years to come.

Mid to late 90s

Hellenismos is the second most practiced religion in the world. It's now a viable enough platform to run on.

Summer 2015

Several more prominent powers start manifesting in their shrines. Zeus in California. Aphrodite in south Florida. Hephaestus in New York. Demeter in Kansas. The world is shocked and awed, watching attentively everything the returned gods and goddesses do.

Late 2010s

As more numbers in the Hellenismos faith boom to an all time high as the rest of the pantheon manifests. Epic deeds are seen every day, for good or for ill. The deities adore the attention they get, growing stronger with the worship they get.

As the deities settle in, the so-called golden age of mortal heroism blossoms. A child of Ares calling himself "Superman" foils the plans of several other greedy demigod teens. "Superman" sparks the revolution of demigod teens doing good for the sake of doing good.

"Superman" sets out a call for like-minded heroes. He and several other (more creatively named) young adults form The Pantheon. While not officially endorsed by the actual gods, they're not doing anything to stop them.

Late 2030s/Early 2040s

Hephaestus, in quick succession, advances the world's technologies. Some think this will bring the Singularity. He balances it by holding some back.

Summer 2045

Present day
Last edited by Bending Equalist on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:23 am, edited 17 times in total.
Stuff I've Made - Obligatory Character Thread

jemal
Hero
Hero

Re: Greek God Game (interest)

Postby jemal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:54 am

Oh my yes. So many ideas...

Dionysus, Hermes, Hephaestus, Athena... so many choices..

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:56 am

When I see these types of interest threads I always think of James Lovegrove's Age of series.
He's done a series of books based on different pantheons...

I have to check my game list... I think I am too extended but... c'mon! Greek Demigods !!!

What edition and what PL were you leaning towards?

Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Bending Equalist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:07 am

I'm going to leave the edition up to the players. I would like to run a second edition game, but have no problem with 3e. As for PL/PP, I'm torn between PL10 200pp and PL12 180pp

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:24 am

Curiously, I just did a Dionysus inspired character for another project.

Sadly, my game slots are pretty tied up right now with the games that I'm (or about to be) in.

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:24 am

My vote would be for 3e, I pretty much haven't touched 2e since I got 3...

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:40 am

This piques my interest - I'm thinking of a Captain Marvel-esque son of Zeus

robertness
Comrade
Comrade

Postby robertness » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am

A couple points I'm pondering:

How integral is it to your concept that the PCs are the bastards of the gods? I can think of examples from Greek myth where the hero gains superpowers because they're favored by a god without being the god's offspring. One concept this suggests is the scientist that Athena has granted a Golden iPad. Not sure what powers said device would grant and the character's too close to other concepts I've played recently for me to develop, but thought I'd mention it as an example of what's being precluded.

With Fusion Age technology and a pantheon where males have children spring fully grown (and armored) from their foreheads, are you sure you want to limit the virgin, chaste, or dead gods from having children? If you've got some plot point that requires limiting the Olympian parents to those listed, that's cool.

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I'm leaning to a child of Posseidon so my pondering isn't directed to my specific character design process, but more "Wouldn't it be cool if this was possible for someone who wants it?"

Wars are short and decisive thanks to Ares.

Until the other Olympians start mucking things up. Just ask the Trojans.

Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 am

Brings up a potential point, do you take Ares to be the god of War of the god of Battlefield Slaughter?

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Evolución » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 am

Oh I'm all in, I love greek pantheon-based characters. I'm inclined to a son of Heracles. I would prefer 3e

catsi563
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby catsi563 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:24 am

Just to offer a solution to those who want to play one of the other deities like Athena.

Scion used the concept of Adoption rather then childbirth. the deity would imbue some of his or her essense into the child and the child would become a demigod.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

The Litterbox

http://www.fanfiction.net/~catsi563

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:35 am

What about a child of Persephone and Hades, one whose powers are "diminished" in this realm? Not that I actually have an idea or anything....

Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Bending Equalist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Alright, now to answer questions

About having favor/being adopted by a virgin or married god. I'm for it.

Yes, Ares and Athena are both war gods. I was just giving some examples of what they do.

I would rather you have one mortal parent, to tie you to the mortal realm. Full gods are plot devices and 9 times out of 10 have everyday duties.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Are you looking for full-on costumed "supers" or is this going to be more along the Percy Jackson front?

Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Bending Equalist » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Either will work. Think Marvel on that front. Some don't wear costumes. Some don't have secret identities. They're prevalent, but not necessary.

Return to “M&M Game Room”