DCA/3e Young Injustice OOC (Full)-

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: DCA/3e Young Injustice OOC (Full)-

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Malik

Abilities 42
Strength 2
Stamina 2
Agility 4
Dexterity 2
Fighting 6
Intellect 3
Awareness 2
Presence 0

Skills 26
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise: Assassin 2 (+5)
Expertise: Science 6 (+9)
Insight 4 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)
Ranged Combat: Throwing 4 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+6)
Stealth 6 (+10)
Technology 6 (+9)

Advantages 11
Close Attack 2
Defensive Roll 2
Equipment
Eidetic Memory
Hide in Plain Sight
Inventor
Jack of All Trades
Luck
Move-by Action

Powers 32

A Prodigy in Many Fields: Variable 2 [extras: Action +2; flaws: Limited to Non-Superhuman (Skills, advantages, slight ability boost); feats: Innate]

Don't Call Me A Vulcan: Mind Reading 10 [flaws: Reduced Range 2 (Touch); feats: Second Chance (Mind Reading)]

League Training: Leaping 2 [drawbacks: Acrobatics Check Required]

How Does He Carry It All In His Belt?!?!?: Variable 1 [extras: Action +2 (Free); notes: allocated to three ranks of varying Equipment]

Equipment
Under-Armor: Protection 2 [feats: Subtle]
Cellphone: Feature 1
Climbing Claws: +5 Athletics when Climbing

Defenses 24
Toughness 6
Dodge 10
Parry 10
Fortitude 9
Willpower 9

Combat:
Don't Call Me A Vulcan: +8 Mind Reading 10 (DC 20 Will)
Unarmed: +8 Close Damage 2 (DC 17 Toughness)
Initiative +4

Abilities 42 + Skills 26 + Advantages 11 + Powers 32 + Defenses 24 = 135 PP

Complications:

Motivation: Responsibility He's got the skills and the know-how of how to keep the streets clean and safe from crime. So Malik feels like he's got some kind of duty to make sure he becomes and stays a hero. The world would burn if evil had it's way, and Malik doesn't want that on his conscious if he couldn't try and combat the oncoming waves of villany.

Thrills Malik tries to stave off memories of his time with the League by being an all-round joker. He's got a cocky attitude that leads him to be reckless, relying on his training and own natural skill to get him through. And the rush of doing something good, of surviving life despite all the dangers of being a hero - it makes leaving the League almost worth it.

Enemy Malik left the League of Assassins. That's not an organization you just leave. The League wants Malik back - not dead, he's too useful dead - because Malik knows quite a good deal of the League's operation. Granted, so does Batman, but they would rather the caped crusader be their exception: they don't want a trend to start of people leaving the League to become heroes.

Secret It's not the best of ideas to tell people that you used to be part of the League of Assassins. Even worse to tell them that you were a part of the League since you were born, raised to be an assassin - even if you're a terrible assassin. That can raise trust issues for many, as well as concerns regarding his own reluctance to kill. So. Malik keeps his mouth shut when it comes to the League or where he learned so much about the art of killing.

Quirk Malik loves to tinker. He may not be super-scientist material (all the time at least), but he's still a bithead. He loves to play games and mess around with making new things. And when he gets an idea for an invention in his head, he just loves putting it to paper and trying it out: it doesn't always work, but hey, that's life. Doesn't stop him from tinkering around and messing with technology - the more complex and challenging, the more enticing.

Honor If there's one thing the League taught Malik, it's honor. At least, that was what he was taught when he was young in the so-called 'glory days' of the League of Assassins. However, since his rejection of League philosophy, and his self-imposed exile from the organization, Malik has promised that he would never kill an innocent. Never.

Background:
Last edited by kenmadragon on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Withdrawn for another idea.
Last edited by The_Watchman on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Mistletoe looks interesting, but as someone who works with plants alot, I've got to ask; why would a plant be immune to fortitude effects? Plants are pretty vulnerable to dehydration, heat & cold shock, diseases and plenty of other "fortitude-y" things in my experience.

And just as a design comment...Regeneration 10 is alot of regeneration.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Mistletoe looks interesting, but as someone who works with plants alot, I've got to ask; why would a plant be immune to fortitude effects? Plants are pretty vulnerable to dehydration, heat & cold shock, diseases and plenty of other "fortitude-y" things in my experience.

And just as a design comment...Regeneration 10 is alot of regeneration.

She's a magic plant construct. Basically a golem made of wood. I can't say I've read every story with Blackbriar Thorn but from what I've seen, he's not a plant creature like the Floronic Man or Swamp Thing, he's a wizard in a body made of magic wood. He isn't permanently hurt by being broken apart and seems more like an undead than a living thing. Mistletoe's regeneration is a small reflection of his Immortality and Regeneration.

I'm not set on the regeneration and would be happy to change it for something else. Regen 10 is certainly not crucial to the concept. Might just move it into some Impervious ranks if that would be preferable. I'm also grateful for any suggestions about things to improve her. The core niche is Spellcaster/Construct.
"This is all your fault! You shouldn't have taken that cat! You don't teleport into strange metal places and steal pets!"
Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Well, Blackbriar Thorne's official build sets his Stamina at 8, increasing to a max of 20 at his highest level of growth. As for his recovery from critical injury, he packs the Immortality power at rank 16, so he returns from the dead in 1 minute's time.

He does however also have an Immunity to Fort effects for some reason.

Personally I would either go with a high Stamina OR an immunity to fort effects, not both...but I guess this way there is no need for regen. on his build or monkeying around with the benefits from growth to compensate for the increase in stamina being worthless for a construct.

Anyway, if she's a golem, she isn't a living plant anyway, just a construct of plant material, so that makes sense.

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Horsenhero wrote:Well, Blackbriar Thorne's official build sets his Stamina at 8, increasing to a max of 20 at his highest level of growth. As for his recovery from critical injury, he packs the Immortality power at rank 16, so he returns from the dead in 1 minute's time.

He does however also have an Immunity to Fort effects for some reason.

Personally I would either go with a high Stamina OR an immunity to fort effects, not both...but I guess this way there is no need for regen. on his build or monkeying around with the benefits from growth to compensate for the increase in stamina being worthless for a construct.

Anyway, if she's a golem, she isn't a living plant anyway, just a construct of plant material, so that makes sense.

*headdesk* Why do I keep forgetting I have Heroes and Villains 1. I just made Mistletoe from scratch but yeah...her "dad" would probably be a good basis for setting her abilities... I'll look over and see if there's anything grossly inconsistent between the two. I envisioned Thorn's "children" as being a division of his physical powers (growth, etc) for the dumb monster soldiers and his magical abilities for the apprentices. I made some revisions just now but I may make a few more if her powers don't make sense.

Edit: OK, so it looks like his powers are much more of the "nature's fury" style of powers while Mistletoe's are more of the benevolent side as befitting her outlook. Hopefully they make sense from that approach. She's much more pinpoint (swarms of insects instead of earthquakes and lightning strikes, vines instead of big earth hands, etc) to minimize collateral damage.
Last edited by The_Watchman on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Builds

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm conflicted. I know I would rather certain aspects of Malik's past be kept secret, if only to fuel dramatic tension later on (which is made much better if I ensure player knowledge is rather equivalent to character knowledge) but at the same time I'm blanking on what to put for a background. Should I just put up a quick cliff's notes to leave it vague, keeping only details the other PCs will learn quickly from the dossier Andre hands them, or just keep the entire backstory a secret? Because I feel like Malik will have quite the number of horrid stories about trauma from his days with the League, and I don't want to ruin their punch...

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 pm

kenmadragon wrote:I'm conflicted. I know I would rather certain aspects of Malik's past be kept secret, if only to fuel dramatic tension later on (which is made much better if I ensure player knowledge is rather equivalent to character knowledge) but at the same time I'm blanking on what to put for a background. Should I just put up a quick cliff's notes to leave it vague, keeping only details the other PCs will learn quickly from the dossier Andre hands them, or just keep the entire backstory a secret? Because I feel like Malik will have quite the number of horrid stories about trauma from his days with the League, and I don't want to ruin their punch...

You could always just send the full background to Horsenhero then post what PCs would know or learn quickly as the background.
Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 pm

Yes, and please remember (not to dampen any enthusiasm), I haven't committed to adding another character beyond the sixpack I originally designed the game for. Since my players are open to adding a 7th, I'm looking at the builds submitted but if it happens it'll be because the character *pops* for me. That means adding a power and personality element I think would really fit with the game concept and flavor.

Keep in mind that my thematic inspiration for both "Injustice" games is the J.M. DeMattias & Keith Giffen, Justice League International/Justice League Europe series from way back in the day. This means I'm more likely to indulge in the villains accidentally blowing up a pc's comfy new bed than any girlfriend in the fridge antics. I'm just not interested in delving into telenovella levels of angst.

This has been a public service announcement. :)

The_Watchman
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby The_Watchman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:21 am

Understood HH. Mistletoe was partially a thought exercise after I saw that picture on Project Rooftop so no hard feelings from me if she doesn't fit for the game.
Builds

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:13 am

The_Watchman wrote:Understood HH. Mistletoe was partially a thought exercise after I saw that picture on Project Rooftop so no hard feelings from me if she doesn't fit for the game.

Well, moreso than Mistletoe I was addressing Malik. While obviously any character can be laden with layers of angst and Greek tragedy degrees of wailing and hair pulling, a runaway from the League of Assassins seems especially inclined toward that sort of thing.

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:31 am

Honestly? I was planning on playing him off as a bit of a happy-go-lucky joker when it came to temperament. He'd have his dark past and all, but he'd act more like a cocky, sarcastic wild-card. He's got a bit of an ego, and tends to find he laughs more than he mopes. And like any tinkerer, he's a bit of a gear-nut, and likely to just geek out over cool tech that he just has to have (that could be an interesting complication now that I think about it).

Besides, I just said I'd rather Malik not talk about that angsty-stuff. More fun to bottle it up so if it does come to the forefront, it simply explodes in short bursts rather than prolonged on and on and on... Besides, bottling it up, hiding the secrets behind his facade of arrogance and tinkering-love would be more authentic for a teenager like him (at least, in my experience). Angsting is more for those really dramatic moments when it's called for, not all the time.

Which reminds me to ask: has Doctor Moon died in continuity yet? I can't remember when exactly it happened...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

I tend to shrug over deaths quite a bit, especially when an interesting character is killed off for no real reason. Besides, it's comics...nobody stays dead forever. I mean for the game I've already resurrected two members of the Doom Patrol to serve as npc's for this game.

As for Malik's background exploding onto the scene, since he has actual super-powers, something no other member of the league can claim (not to mention a Variable for equipment which nobody, not even guys like Batman or Mr. Miracle get), the league would be coming to get him sooner rather than later.

If I was to cast him that is.

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:31 pm

A quick reminder for my players...please remember to get yourselves signed up over on the new roninarmy boards before this site locks down.

Thank you!

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:42 am

Done !

And...

Horsenhero wrote:
OOC: I'm sorry, I thought you opted to forego the standard action against the bola to attack last round. Granted, the attack roll ended up missing...but, you would need to surge to both attack and break free in the same round.

Once she puts her mind to it though, it would take a near miracle for the bolas to survive the break attempt.

That`s accurate. I will do that on my next action...

Return to “M&M Game Room”