2e Emerald City Knights OOC (full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: 2e Emerald City Knights OOC (full)

Postby kenseido » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:44 pm

Since I see no indication otherwise, Aranea is doing all of this in her civies?
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:56 pm

kenseido wrote:Since I see no indication otherwise, Aranea is doing all of this in her civies?

Yeah. She's been homeless for a year, and it's been a few weeks since she's had any money to wash her clothes (jeans, an undershirt and a light jacket--boy's clothing to boot). Her skin is clean, but her hair hasn't seen shampoo in as many weeks.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 am

Happy Easter. :D
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:35 am

I will update Aranea and Fuzzy in a bit after I get some supper. :)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 am

Ysariel wrote:I will update Aranea and Fuzzy in a bit after I get some supper. :)

S'alright. The wife and I are entertaining today, so I may not be back until late evening.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:27 am

I am going to hold on Aranea's end a bit until Chrysalis and Jackie have progressed further.

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Hey gang, I thought I'd raise a couple things I've had on my mind for a while. These are thoughts of the form "I'd like this game even better if ..." so I want to preface it by saying, first of all, that I enjoy the game tremendously already and will continue to do so even if these thoughts are totally ignored, secondly these are based on entirely subjective preferences and not everyone may agree with them, and finally that even if all the players agree with them it's of course Ysariel's prerogative to accept them or not, and I'm fine with either outcome. All that said -

(1) I felt like PC-NPC relations got more emphasis than PC-PC relations in the first chapter. I'd like it better if the reverse were true. More time spent on out-of-combat interactions among PCs. More secondary plots that intrinsically involve more than one PC and fewer, or none, that involve only one PC. To the extent that NPCs who belong specifically to a particular PC's backstory appear, as much as possible, creating reasons for other PCs to care about and be interested in those NPCs. Less compartmentalization of and more connections between the different PCs' lives.

(2) The combats were easy for my taste. While there were lots of chances to showcase how awesome we are, I rarely felt there was a serious risk of losing. Even against the biggest bosses, they were more or less losing or at best holding their ground from the very start of action. I'd like it more if we had more skin-of-our-teeth victories, with some characters being badly hurt or even incapacitated, and even some actual losses. For me, heroism has more to do with dealing with adversity and setbacks than with effortlessly kicking ass.

Thoughts?
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Speaking on point 1, the time of the first adventure was pretty short game time. None of the characters opened up to any degree, even though Ysariel gave several opportunities for us to do so.

On point 2, one of the problems with a turn based game is that big boss fights always favor the team. Even with multiple PL difference, the team has a huge advantage over a single bad guy. I have seen it time and time again. Unless the solo villian has some crazy Regen or Immunities, he is going to get curbstomped, even if he has 3 or more PL on the team. It has to do with the number of dice rolls the villain will need to make, and it only takes two bad one or one really bad one to end the fight. The most challenging fights would be team on team, and by that I mean a team that uses tactics and not just picking one target and sticking with them until they are down.

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:43 am

I worked out some business with Omega Girl in the beginning of the game via PM, and I feel that if you want more P/P interaction, you have to seek it out. I don't think it's enough to just expect other players to pick up on the seeds you might plant in your posts. There's all kinds of reasons why those get overlooked.

I firmly believe in petitioning the GM for what you want, as in "if you don't ask, you don't get." So if you want to go up against Darkseid, I'm sure Ysariel can arrange that for you! But you know, the flip side to the above quote is, "Be careful of what you ask for...." :lol:

baixiwei
Overlord
Overlord

Postby baixiwei » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 am

Point 1 is not just a comment to Ysariel, but also an inquiry aimed at the other players to see whether they were actually interested in the kind of PC-PC relationships I'm talking about. Seeking out interactions only works if others are also interested. In the previous chapter there were a couple of occasions in which I requested joint interludes but they didn't happen either because no one took up the offer or because people specifically wanted to have solo interludes. So I guess I wanted to get a feel for whether any of the other players were actively interested in more PC-PC relationships, in which case I could preferentially seek out the players who are. Or maybe everyone is interested, in which case it's just my misperception.

penny & ken, from your replies, I actually am not sure whether you both are personally interested in shifting emphasis from PC-NPC relationships more to PC-PC relationships with respect to your own characters?

The above aside, I do think there are things the GM can do to facilitate this kind of interaction. For example, setting up scenes in which one PC is contacted by or otherwise prompted to interact with NPCs from another PC's background. Having the default setting for interludes be joint rather than solo. Again, I'd only ask for this if I thought people besides me also wanted it, which is why I'm trying to gauge reactions here.

Point 2, Ysariel's a creative GM so I'm sure she can come up with ways to make single villains challenging. Villain points seem like a good idea - lots of them. Summons which are described as part of the villain but are statted as separate agents and can interpose for the villain. Crazy regen. And yeah, team on team is fine too.
Baixiwei's Character Builds and Conversions

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 am

Agreed that the action economy makes it better for us to face a team than a single big bad. Admittedly, we've done well against the teams too... :-P Now that we're big league trouble, I wholly expect some villain team with organizational skills to set up an ambush where the advantage is theirs. There is likely also a small bit of genre/playability involved. The most efficient way to take out a group of enemies as a team is to double or triple team them. PCs generally have little compunction about this because, well, if one target gets eliminated, the GM just has fewer pieces to have to worry about. With players, it can lead to a single player feeling like they got shut out early.

As regards interaction, that is a peril, particularly in PbP where inconsistent posting schedules and a desire to avoid puppeting others means that conversation can be halting as opposed to Ysariel who's around all of the time to post the next bit of the exchange. I'll admit that I haven't really put a lot of thought into how Mockingbird integrates with the rest of the team... I could see him getting almost grandfatherly with Chrysalis and now Aranea. Jackie, I have no real idea as to how they might interact. Kisai strikes him as a somewhat impetuous and passionate youth, the sort of soldier who needs someone to occasionally rein him in.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 am

Well I did combine one Interlude with Chrysalis, and she also had that teamup with Jackie doing the interviews.

In fact, Chrysalis saw part of Philip's life that none of the others have seen. Chrysalis was the one with the best chance of seeking Philip out during the three months as well as the one he would have the hardest time turning away. He even took the name that Warp gave you and turned it into a term of endearment. So I don't have a problem with putting some emphasis on PC relationships. I just learned a while ago that PC-PC romance is always fraught with perils. I have had more than one fall apart because a PC left the group, so I try to stick with NPC paramours.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 am

kenseido wrote:I just learned a while ago that PC-PC romance is always fraught with perils. I have had more than one fall apart because a PC left the group, so I try to stick with NPC paramours.

Oof... yeah, I remember the thing with Xerxes and Summer stalling out in Freedom's Avengers. And, of course, it gets the potential to get really weird at the table, especially if the people involved have other relationships, are different genders than what they play, etc.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks for the feedback. If you guys have anything at all that you are not happy with, feel free to bring it up anytime, here or through PM. It is very helpful. :D

I'll respond to your concerns tomorrow. :)

Speaking of player interaction, Fuzzy you haven't responded to Jackie calling you. Although I think it's reasonable Mockingbird silenced or turned off his communicator before leaving disguised.

And kenseido, I think it is funny that you say that when I am playing a PC-PC romance in your game. :)

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 am

I have no objection to it, and I realize I have even suggested a PC-PC romance in another game. Maybe I just hadn't found the right players yet.

Return to “M&M Game Room”