Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

DC Adventures (Closed, OoC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: DC Adventures (Recruiting)

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 pm

Is it okay if I play the son of Zachary Zatara (Zatanna's cousin) and his assistant/girlfriend Bunny? I figure he would be from further ahead in the future, and ended up in those time period at about the same age as his father by way of a freak magical ritual gone wrong. However, since time magic is incredibly risky, he is loathe to try and get back, and is instead learning from his aunt (not exactly, but your day's cousin is pretty much your aunt) and gaining experience as a Mage. He is not like Zachary and Zatanna who are both stage magicians, but is instead a scholar of the Arcane type Mage. However, he strays from traditional spell casting in that he doesn't use backwards speech to cast his spells, but simply wills his spells to existence. Bt main question is whether I can play Zachary's son from the future...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby zeone3000 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Eh, not really digging the concept
]My first fanfic - Log of the Grinning Shadow - Chapter four is now up! Enjoy!
zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Would you prefer I was a half - (demon/fae) born as a mortal, gifted with magic by bloodline, seeking to do good and justice to (pay for the evils of my ancestors / aid humanity as the far always have) ?
Or should I change it to be just another Homo magi from the line of Nostradamus; Alessandro Cagliostro; alchemists Nicholas Flamel and Evan Fulcanelli; and King Arion of Atlantis ?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby zeone3000 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Those are much better and far more original.
zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Neylana » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm interested in playing. There's some interesting myths being toyed with here. Let's add my own.

I have a vague idea for a wealthy detective/gadgeteer. At PL 8, she'd likely just be starting to tinker, and not yet have (many) amazing devices that defy modern science. I'm seeing a shadowy character, whose very fragility, in the face of those with superpowers, forces her to remain a mystery. Those who have encountered her have dubbed her "Barghest," or the "Black Dog," after the frightening English legend. They say her eyes glow red at night, and that her ability to track criminals is supernatural. What people don't realize is that most of this is due to technology and skill. The only super-normal thing about her is her intellect, which was altered by a somewhat mad friend of the family when she was born, via a top secret super-serum that he'd been working on. Why is she doing this? As a child, due to her intelligence, she saw and understood far more of the world than any child rightfully should. In many ways, she cared too much, and she felt hopeless to alleviate the horrible things that happen. A certain obsession overtook her, and she followed a crime investigation on her own, and discovered that she is quite good at it. Justice must be done, so like Batman, she took up the mantle of Barghest and began tracking down those that escaped the clutches of the law.

I'll have to work on the build for a few days, but I'll probably start with a super-genius tracer, and then build up to awesome gadgets later on.
Neylana
Groupie
Groupie

Postby bi0philia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 pm

the lantern angle isn't working for me, back to the drawing board.

Anyway someone could do one of those nice submission list kind of things, so we can see what niches have been filled and such?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 am

"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:14 am

Actually Zen, I'm planning on changing to another name. Still going to be a homo magi (I already started he build...) but won't be related to Zatanna directly. I figure I could be a homo magi descended from images more powerful than Zatanna, and have learned magic from her. Super hero name is still Phantom though...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Walking Dad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm thinking about a time displaced Durlan (alien shapeshifter):

Xeno-Morph

ABILITIES
STRENGTH 1
STAMINA 6
AGILITY 2
DEXTERITY 2
FIGHTING 5
INTELLECT 1
AWARENESS 3
PRESENCE 3

POWERS
Durlan Shape Array: Array (25 points)
• Disguises: Morph 4 (any) • 2 points
• Dryad Rock People:
Enhanced Str +8 (16), Impervious Toughness (8), Senses (Infravision) (1) • 1 point
• Kansidian Dragon:
Flight (Winged) 5 (5), Damage Area Cone Incurable (Fire Breath) 9 (19), AP: Same with Line (1) • 1 point
• Darntor Chameleon Cat:
Concealment all Visual Blending 4 (4), Speed 4 (4) (AP Leaping (1)), Enhanced Str +3 (6), Damage (natural weapons) 5 (5), Senses Olfactory (Accurate, Acute, Analytical, Track) (5) • 1 point
• Scyllit Scorpion:
Shrinking 12 (12), Reduced Protection (-6), Speed 2 (2), Movement (Slithering, Surefooted, Wallcrawling 2) (4), Weaken Constitution 9 (9), Senses (Danger Sense Touch, Darkvision, Ranged Touch) (4) • 1 point
• Hyxbinan Gas Form:
Insubstantial 2 (10), Affliction (fatigued, exhausted, paralyzed) 9 (9), Flight 3 (6) • 1 point

Morphic Immunities:
Immunity (aging, poison, critical hits, suffocation), Protection 3 • 9 points

ADVANTAGES
Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Taunt

SKILLS
Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+9), Deception 6 (+9), Expertise: Zoology 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+9), Stealth 6 (+8)

OFFENSE
INITIATIVE +2
Unarmed +9 Close , Damage 1
(Varies based on shape)

DEFENSE
DODGE 7
PARRY 7
FORTITUDE 9
TOUGHNESS 9
WILL 9

POWER POINTS
ABILITIES 46 + SKILLS 14 + POWERS 40 + DEFENSES 16 + ADVANTAGES 4 = TOTAL 120

Complications:
Motivation (Responsibility): Making sure his Utopian future comes into being.
Quirk: He is neither from the time nor place, so he tends to be confused about things that are obvious to others.

Background:
The Durlan 'teen' Dregg Draggl hated his lif on the xenophobic planet Durla. But the stories about Chameleon Boy and his adventures and victories with the Legion of Superheroes kept his hope alive. Finally he took a great risk, fleeing attached to a spaceship that briefly landed on Durla during an investigation.
After arriving on Earth he instantly applied to become a member of the Legion, but they just lost some members shortly before in a cataclysmic fight and voted to take no new members for some time until they revised their safety standards and entrance exams.
Not wanting to leave just yet, he volunteered to Brainiac's latest tachyon experiment which should enable him to transport someone into a "hardened time stream"...
Ripped through time and space, appeared on 21st century earth more than slightly confused, Dregg tries to follow the heroes of the old which were the inspiration of the Legion (and who are living now), by becoming a superhero himself. He secretly hopes that his extended stay means that the historic records show somehow his importance for this period and that his inventor friend has just not given up on time traveling or assumes him dead.
During the "jump", his antennas were slightly hurt, decreasing the versatility of his shapeshifting powers. He has some "standard" shapes he learned of his way and can still assume any outward appearance, but copying any powers of assumed shapes became extraordinary tiring.

Edit: If the power set-up seems to complicated, I could change the Durlan Shape array to:

Shapeshift: Variable 4 (20 points) (assumed forms), Standard Action • 28 points
Antenna: Detect Genetic Make-up (ranged, radius) • 3 points

The powers above you assumes that the GM allows different forms as "Extraordinary Effort".
Last edited by Walking Dad on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Added some background for my submission. I may tweak the build a bit and I need to add some complications.
CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Added a short background, and tweaked some of the complications. Changed his true name to Michael Anderson. He is still a homo magi (couldn't really see how to make him half-demon/fae without changing his build, and i rather like my build right now), but he is not a displaced time traveling mystic directly related to Zatanna like before. Now he is merely connected in a mentor-student relationship, and is relatively independent. He still has much to prove, and has the inferiority complex, and hopes to become a Leaguer to show the world that he is worthy of their respect. One of those guys that 'always has something to prove'. Waiting on thoughts of the current app before proceeding.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:35 pm

How does this sound? I took inspiration from Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

After kidnapping Supergirl, Darkseid took her DNA and made a clone that combined her DNA with that of Batman, his blood was the only human DNA present at the time (he was bleeding all over Darkseid's floor). The result was a leader for his Furies without peer. But her programming was broken when she discovered what she was, and who her "mother" and "father" was. She left Apocalips (forgot how they spell it) and came to Earth in search of her "parents".

I would plan on going with the Superboy route, clone of Superman and Lex Luthor, but this would be a female clone of Kara Zor-El and Bruce Wayne. She would have all the powers of her "mother" and the natural focus and determination of her "father".

Any problems there? Anyone see an issue/a way to improve upon it?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby zeone3000 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 pm

I'll give both of those a look.

None at all. I like it so far. Shoot, I could totally see that happening and am surprised Darksied hasn't tried this yet. Or maybe he has and I just don't know what comic it is.
zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby EPIC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 pm

I am thinking of submitting a character, a variant on one of my Legion of Superheroes character, Tint. From a race of humanoid aliens known as the Chroma that have the ability to not only see the entire like spectrum and in complete darkness, but also bend light in simple amd complex ways from simply changing the color of an object by bending the light that bounces off it to intricate light-based holograms and illusions, or even bend light around something render invisible.

The powers are obviously utility in nature, neither offensive nor defensive, but the character is an accomplished martial artist and a master of attacking from.

Thinking a low tech suit (using some elements from the Batman Begins suits), stealthy martial arts and of course light bending. (Freaking color controller!!!)

The background involves a princess, escaping to Earth during a violent, and successful, coup on her plamt. Though a capable fighter herself, being outnumbered by an army is never a good prospect. The device she ised to escape is based on transforming the being i to light and transmitting them, however, the transmitting relays were hit amd she was beamed off into space, only to eventually arrive on Earth, utterly disoriented with no way to get back, and even if she could, she has no way to reclaim her throne without making the people suffer a bloody civil war.

That's all I got off hand.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Bladewind » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

My build is up.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room