Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3E: The Valiant (OOC-Full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby badpenny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:44 pm

I think a superhuman level of strength can power attack and exceed it, but no one of 2-3 STR could (that's "human" to me). I also rule that you can only double the base effect (or a max of +5) with Power Attack, so someone with a STR of 3 can only Power Attack for +3.

To me, Impervious is meant to be an effect that allows you to ignore Minions and Jobber's attacks. That's how it's used in the comics. Just like with PCs fighting multiple opponents: they're always minions. Against similarly ranked (PL) villains, you're more on an equal footing.

Just like Penetrating doesn't do anything extra against someone without Impervious.
User avatar
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: Under The Greenwood Tree

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:18 pm

Sounds good.

Not to refute your argument (or maybe to do that, but for jest, not to change your ruling, because I agree with it), I think when someone like Spiderman fights the Hulk or Juggernaut, he can't hurt them at all because their Impervious is so high. Which is why half the comic is spent with him trying to figure out how to stop them without direct damage, since that is of no use anyway.

The reason Wolverine and Captain America have a limited chance against both is because their attacks are penetrating. Spiderman and Cyclops would have a difficult time affecting either the Hulk or Iron Man because their baseline damages are too low, although I could see Cyclops power attacking and getting up there. Captain America and Wolverine are a clear and present danger to them though.

Again, that was just to talk about comic book examples. In a game, I absolutely agree that Impervious should be limited, in most instances, to be capable of ignoring most minions and villains that are meant to be a joke. The big bads (or the antithetical team of villains) should be able to affect the heroes, especially with their primary attacks.
User avatar
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby badpenny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:48 pm

But remember, those characters are not all of the same PL.

I'd put Hulk at PL 14! Juggy is probably no more than PL 12. Wolvie and Spidey a solid PL 11. Cyke's PL 10.
User avatar
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: Under The Greenwood Tree

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm

badpenny wrote:But remember, those characters are not all of the same PL.

I'd put Hulk at PL 14! Juggy is probably no more than PL 12. Wolvie and Spidey a solid PL 11. Cyke's PL 10.


True...
User avatar
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand
 
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby greyfox776 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:
badpenny wrote:But remember, those characters are not all of the same PL.

I'd put Hulk at PL 14! Juggy is probably no more than PL 12. Wolvie and Spidey a solid PL 11. Cyke's PL 10.


True...


Also Jug's would have something akin to "Immunity: All Damage", as practically nothing in the marvel universe can hurt him (with a few exceptions)

You could probably setup Hulk with something similar with an all damage halved type of thing to represent that he is just stupidly hard to hurt beyond his impervious toughness. Or give the hulk very high impervious toughness and good regen, that way spidey might still be able to damage him if he stood there all day punching but even when Hulk does finally fail a toughness check he just regens the damage before spidey is lucky enough to squeeze another point of damage through.

But with all that said comic characters will always just be as strong and tough as the writer wants them to be, key X-men examples would be :
1. Cyclopes in one comic blasts a mountain to pieces when not wearing his visor and apparently putting in some effort, because in that comic at least it was said that his standard blasts are always restrained due to how powerful he is...

2. A Wolverine comic wherein Mr.The Best there is... regenerates from a atomic bomb being deployed directly on top of him, and more impressively his pants survived! as well as apparently some cockroaches that the venom symbiote combined with cause they survived the blast too... :P
Last edited by greyfox776 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
greyfox776
Bystander
Bystander
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby dreamking89 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I'd definitely like to be a part of this. I'll send in something pretty soon.

A few questions:

-I need to know if this will take place before or after the moon landing

-Would you be against a superhero who's an icon of China being on an American team? (considering at this time, China is insanely communist?)
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
User avatar
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby badpenny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:00 pm

dreamking89 wrote:I'd definitely like to be a part of this. I'll send in something pretty soon.

A few questions:

-I need to know if this will take place before or after the moon landing

-Would you be against a superhero who's an icon of China being on an American team? (considering at this time, China is insanely communist?)


After the moon landing, sure. I don't see a Chinese nationalist on the team. That would not sit right with the American government (which has a strong connection to the team).
User avatar
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: Under The Greenwood Tree

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby dreamking89 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 pm

What if he had a complex relationship with China. Like.....he loves his country, but he's in a self-imposed exile because he doesn't like Communism?

He's less a Chinese citizen and more from China.


.....He's Sun Wukong. :P
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
User avatar
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby badpenny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 pm

dreamking89 wrote:What if he had a complex relationship with China. Like.....he loves his country, but he's in a self-imposed exile because he doesn't like Communism?

He's less a Chinese citizen and more from China.


I could see a storyline where he might be a Chinese national super who was sent to America on some liaison mission.

It's a high point in the Cold War; he wouldn't be asked to be a team member.
User avatar
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: Under The Greenwood Tree

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby dreamking89 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Ok, I'll figure something out that works. I have a few ideas bouncing around.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
User avatar
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic
 
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 am

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby levinwurth » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Anything I need to change on my submission?
Active Characters

3E Time of Crisis - Fletch
Destiny: Origins - Sean
Assorted Character Builds
User avatar
levinwurth
Zealot
Zealot
 
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:42 am
Location: Dudley, UK

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby Belial666 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 am

I'd put Hulk at PL 14! Juggy is probably no more than PL 12. Wolvie and Spidey a solid PL 11. Cyke's PL 10.

I see them as PL 12, 11, 11, 11 and 10 respectively
Hulk: Strength 17, Attack +7, Power Lifting 10, Impervious Toughness 17, Defense 7, Regen 10
Juggy: Strength 15, Attack +7, Toughness Immunity, Entrapment Immunity, Defense 7
Wolvie: Strength 5, Claws 3 (multiattack/penetrating), Attack +14, Toughness 10, Defense 12, Regen 10
Spidey: Strength 9 (multiattack), Attack +13, Toughness 8, Defense 14, Surprise/Critical Immunity
Cyke: Blast 12, Attack +8, Toughness 8*/4 (*: with defensive roll), Defense 12

The Hulk is 12 PL because that's his normal PL when he has control of his actions. When raging uncontrollably, he power stunts the power increase off his power lifting. For example, he stunts Enhanced Traits 20 (Strength/Toughness/Attack 4, Powerlifting 6, Uncontrollable). Power Stunts (like all Extra Effort) are not limited by power level and suddenly he both rises 4 Power Levels offensively and 2 Power Levels defensively and becomes Uncontrollable. Which is probably a bad thing most of the time. :lol:



That's good advice for all builds, guys. If your characters don't usually have an ability or power level but they do have it with effort/under specific circumstances, then you could always Power Stunt. Superman, for example, doesn't have Healing (self, requires sunlight) or Enhanced Strength (requires sunlight) on his sheet but each time he needs to recover or get stronger we see him standing in sunlight for a few moments to "charge up". That's almost certainly a Power Stunt.
Image
User avatar
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby badpenny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 am

levinwurth wrote:Tyler Hopkins, the Texas Hurricane

Skills
Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+4), Ranged Combat: Lightning Bolt: Blast 10 8 (+10)


He has no other skills other than combat? Also remember that skills are 3/1 except for combat which are the standard 2/1.

. . Weather Control: Environment 8 ([0 active, 0/32 PP, 4/r], Other: Variable Effects 3, Radius: 0.5 miles; Selective)


Variable Effects (or Mix-and-Match) was an option in 2E, and doesn't exist in 3E. With a variable power, you have to pay a premium for the privledge, just as with the Variable power. If I were to allow this, it would have to cost more, and I'd need some time to figure out how much it would be to make it fair.

Weatherproof: Immunity 2 (Uncommon Descriptor: Weather)


This is an immunity to naturally occurring earth weather. This does not provide immunity from powers with the "weather" descriptor. This is to balance with the fact that it costs two points just to be immune to environmental heat and cold.


Complications
Honor

Tyler makes sure to only use his powers when it's absolutely necessary, believing it's important to let natural weather cycles continue unimpeded if at all possible.


That makes for an interesting Complication for a fictional setting, but an impractical one for an RPG, which is in some part about combat. When do you actually see yourself earning an HP?

Secret

Tyler is gay, a secret he's kept even from his own father. So far exes have either cared too much about him or have been worried about reprisals to try anything as brazen as blackmail or selling their story to the media, but Tyler worries he's going to be exposed.


Now, that's actually something to work with because in this day and age it could get your security clearance revoked.

Responsibility

His powers bestow a great responsibility, which also ties into his code of honor - meddling with such a complex system as the weather can have far-reaching consequences.


This needs more work because it's vague. Yes, they can have consequences but you're in a game where you are going to be using them all the time. You'll be called on to do that very same thing. I'm having difficulty seeing when it's actually going to come into play--other than always, and then it's really just something for you to roleplay, rather than earn HPs for.

He doesn't really have an iconic feel to me. He feels more like a guest star, and I need him more fleshed out with some more skills.
User avatar
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord
 
Posts: 4373
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Location: Under The Greenwood Tree

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby BlindPugh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:46 am

Only just spotted this. Couple of questions before I work on a sheet.

First one is the big one, due to never really getting to play properly I'm very likely not going to be outstanding at making a sheet. Is that likely to get me knocked back?

Second is about my concept, I'm leaning toward a shrinking hero, tends to science his way out of problems on his solo adventures, like early Ant Man or Atom. Would that be iconic enough? Or do you view shrinkers as implausible solo heroes?
When realities collide- Quicksilver With thanks to Tatooedman.
Shadow war- Bill Sakowski
Toronto's greatest heroes- Green Ronin
User avatar
BlindPugh
Compatriot
Compatriot
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby Belial666 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:54 am

Question:
Would Illyanna being a descendant of Rasputin have enough bearing on some peoples' reactions, considering the influence he had over the Russian ruling family and his (supposedly, in the real world, but probably true here) being a mystic? I currently have that as a reputation complication.
Image
User avatar
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aerlock, EnigmaticOne, flynnarrel, kenmadragon, kenseido, levinwurth, Phrozen, SilvercatMoonpaw and 9 guests