Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3E: The Valiant (OOC-Full)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: 3E: Four Color Goodness! (Recruiting!)

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Hound wrote:I am thinking of re-using my Shadow Wing costume adventuerer for this.

Change the history slightly.

So WW2 was only 20/25 years ago, so alot of people in america are still VERY upset and prejudice towards Japanese. Since my character would still be Japanese could have the media highly against her...

What do you think?

Not really interested in exploring that. I want heroes that are accepted by the public. You are the good guys--plain and simple. Racism is far too gray of an area to explore in this genre.

OTOH, an Asian Costumed Adventurer sounds just dandy. That kind of character would get the Stealth and Investigation niche. If there's no other attack-shifted types, then the mook sweeping job would go to that character, too.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Okay, keep it light and fluffy. Thanks Penny.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 pm

I think, if Arthur Eld is not going to take it, I'd like to submit a powerhouse. Something similar to Colossus is what I'd go for, but I'd be willing to give him some additional complications and power quirks if you're looking for a destructive force of nature like the Hulk.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Quite interested in this, and after giving it some thought, I think I'll try a much derided archetype, but considering his stories in the New 52, I want to give it a shot. So I am going to try to build an Aqua-Man type character, possibility Half Effect immunity to aging built in there, join the Navy during the 2nd World War, rivalry with his brother for the future of Atlantis, something along those lines.

As far as niche, he'd be a scrapper, around 8 or 9 strength, moderately tough, but overshadowed (and understandably so) by powerhouse & paragon types. I'll work on a build as I get home tonight. Already have a few pictures in mind.

Any input on the concept, or niche you envision him filling would be welcome.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Zen_Gypsy wrote:Quite interested in this, and after giving it some thought, I think I'll try a much derided archetype, but considering his stories in the New 52, I want to give it a shot. So I am going to try to build an Aqua-Man type character, possibility Half Effect immunity to aging built in there, join the Navy during the 2nd World War, rivalry with his brother for the future of Atlantis, something along those lines.

As far as niche, he'd be a scrapper, around 8 or 9 strength, moderately tough, but overshadowed (and understandably so) by powerhouse & paragon types. I'll work on a build as I get home tonight. Already have a few pictures in mind.

Any input on the concept, or niche you envision him filling would be welcome.

I wouldn't veto this concept, but it's a tough niche to work out in an RPG. Some things are better suited to fiction where a single author is in control of all aspects of plotting.

Where you'd excel, the others would be grossly disadvantaged. If most of the scenarios are land-based then you're deprived of your opportunities to shine.

Think about it.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:30 pm

badpenny wrote:
Hound wrote:I am thinking of re-using my Shadow Wing costume adventuerer for this.

Change the history slightly.

So WW2 was only 20/25 years ago, so alot of people in america are still VERY upset and prejudice towards Japanese. Since my character would still be Japanese could have the media highly against her...

What do you think?

Not really interested in exploring that. I want heroes that are accepted by the public. You are the good guys--plain and simple. Racism is far too gray of an area to explore in this genre.

OTOH, an Asian Costumed Adventurer sounds just dandy. That kind of character would get the Stealth and Investigation niche. If there's no other attack-shifted types, then the mook sweeping job would go to that character, too.

Would that conflict with Longbow, my Blind Weapon-Master or not? Just wondering if I need to change concept or simply adjust it.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:31 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:I think, if Arthur Eld is not going to take it, I'd like to submit a powerhouse. Something similar to Colossus is what I'd go for, but I'd be willing to give him some additional complications and power quirks if you're looking for a destructive force of nature like the Hulk.

I'm not looking for exact analogs to the Avengers. The cartoon is inspiration. Personally, I see the Hulk as a liability, and I think the public would, too.

While you're not government agents, you have a liaison and once the characters are selected, we'll have to work out who paid for the HQ and plane. If a player steps up and puts points into Wealth, then s/he could pull a Stark and be the moneybags. If none of the players take the Sugar Daddy/Momma role then the government paid for it, and we have a slightly different game. Because the only other alternative is that an anonymous benefactor paid for it, and then you really won't know which side your bread is buttered on. :twisted:
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Belial666 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:39 pm

OK, Brightfire is shaping up. Between Thor and Superman in powers - her "Soulfire" works pretty similarly to Mjolnir too; lightning-empowered melee strikes, long-range thrown strikes, allows her to fly. The senses are a touch of superman and replace Thor's weather control.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:41 pm

No rampaging monster, got it. What about a more respectable Colossus? Something like the real thing, although I'd want to change him to put my own spin, mostly on the story side of things.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:Would that conflict with Longbow, my Blind Weapon-Master or not? Just wondering if I need to change concept or simply adjust it.

As far as submissions go, anyone can submit anything. If it's an outright veto, I'll let you know. So you might want to bounce concepts off my skull before you work up a whole sheet.

As far as selecting characters, I don't think I'd select both a Weapon Master and a Costumed Adventurer--too much overlap. If those were simply characters that were too good to pass up, I would take them, but then we'd negotiate who's going to do what to whom and for how much.

Green Arrow and Batman might work in the JLA, but those aren't being played by people who want their characters to shine. Those characters do what the author needs them to do; players, OTOH, are contributing to the plot and want things for their own characters that can be independent of the GM and the other players.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Belial666 wrote:OK, Brightfire is shaping up. Between Thor and Superman in powers - her "Soulfire" works pretty similarly to Mjolnir too; lightning-empowered melee strikes, long-range thrown strikes, allows her to fly. The senses are a touch of superman and replace Thor's weather control.

Yeah, at this point all I can say is: lemme see the sheet!
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:46 pm

I know I keep going back to your reference, and you seem to be trying to get us to think outside of that box, but Hawkeye and Black Widow served different purposes in Avengers.

In battle, Hawkeye would stay at range and make precise shots while Black Widow would close in and whip it up. The only similarity might be in their chosen targets (minions) but not necessarily, and that might be a good thing to prevent the entire team from aiming at the big bad guy.

Just a thought. I'm not making the calls here. :)
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby badpenny » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:No rampaging monster, got it. What about a more respectable Colossus? Something like the real thing, although I'd want to change him to put my own spin, mostly on the story side of things.

What do you mean by "more respectable?"

Colossus, as written, would be problematic because he's a Ruskie. We're firmly in the Cold War. As to powerset, a living steel type would be great. So would an orange rocky guy in a too-small fedora and a trenchcoat. :D
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Belial666 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Sorry, forgot to link. I put the sheet in the same post as the picture;
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46042&start=15
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Power set is what I meant. I never liked his personality or story (or lack thereof for the former). Just a big, steel skinned bruiser.

I'll do my best to avoid cliche, but I'm already thinking construction worker...

Maybe boxer or wrestler. Both of those we're big back then.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room