Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Fiasco: Freedom/ Emerald City (Interest/Recruit)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Fiasco: Freedom/ Emerald City (Interest/Recruit)

Postby Spectrum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:50 pm

The new style storytelling game Fiasco by Bullypulpit games has really caught my attention. I think that it might be fun to try to blend M&M (or at least the settings) with Fiasco.

Fiasco was recently shown in a three part series in Wil Wheaton's Tabletop.

Beyond that, I'm still in the designing stages and trying to see if anybody would be interested before getting too committed.

Thanks!
Last edited by Spectrum on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Fiasco: Freedom/ Emerald City (Interest)

Postby Evolución » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm

More info would be appreciated. I'm always game (most of the times anyway.)
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Spectrum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for the quick interest. I really recommend watching that three part series if you're able to (I know that region can be an issue sometimes). Its good for a laugh and gives a great play through of the game.

Fiasco elevator pitch (p. 8) wrote:Fiasco is inspired by cinematic tales of small-time capers gone disastrously wrong – particularly films like Blood Simple, Fargo, The Way of the Gun, Burn After Reading, and A Simple Plan. You’ll play ordinary people with powerful ambition and poor impulse control. There will be big dreams and flawed execution. It won’t go well for them, to put it mildly, and in the end it will probably collapse into a glorious heap of jealousy, murder, and recrimination. Lives and reputations will be lost, painful wisdom will be gained, and if you are really lucky, your guy just might end up back where he started.

I think that we should we able to get creative (or use an existing module with some changes) to represent either of the two settings whether we are a small no name super team, a bunch of criminals or.. so many possibilities exist, limited pretty much only by player desire (and the inspiration of the dice).

Free preview is here.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby EnigmaticOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Yeah, personally, I think it would fit best as a group of super-criminals, you know. I'm totally up for fun. Somehow managing to beat world's worst villains, heroes even... somehow. Or just paying the price. But I think this could be really fun.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Interesting concept here. I will try this out. I believe I may have an idea for this if it gets off.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby McGuffin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:16 am

First off, thanks for pointing me in the direction of the videos for the game, they were hilarious :)

Second, I'm interested in this, seems like it could be a great bit of fun.
McGuffin's Workshop: Warp, Naga

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Spectrum » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:43 am

Thank you for all the quick interest.

Its a great net series. As a gaming group we got together and played several of the games last weekend. My favorites were Tsuro (I'm a dragon! Zooom!), Castle Panic (might be too easy) and Gloom (its fun to make people suffer). Zombie Dice, Munchkin and Dixit were fun for the other players, but not my style.

Right now, with everyone showing interest (on a weekend) we have 4 players. 5 players is the recommended max per table. If more people are interested, I (we) might need to think about starting a second table.

I haven't read through all of the kits (and there are new ones every month), but a few that have caught my eye for this starting game: Heroes of Pinnacle City, News Channel Six, Red Front or Hocus Focus. With the right spin, most of them should work but those are the most easily super hero oriented.

Thanks again!
Spectrum
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Re: Fiasco: Freedom/ Emerald City (Interest/Recruit)

Postby McGuffin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:04 am

Pinnacle City sounds the most fitting for a basic supers game, whether we're the Avengers (D Team) or the Legion of (Mild Discomfort and) Doom. I'll look at Hocus Focus later but it sounds good for a more magically focused game. Nothing's really jumped out at me for a low-level super-powered gang, though.

We're you thinking of playing a full-on game of Fiasco (which suits me just fine for getting to know the system since it seems really fun) or more using Fiasco as a part of character creation (Relationships, Needs... basically creating the motivation for the group) with a more traditional MnM game being layered on top of that starting point?

Why crawl when you can walk? Why walk when you can run? Why run when you can fly?
McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Spectrum » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 am

Wow, lots of questions there. Hopefully, I answer all of them.

The idea of fusing the two systems came about when reading the general villains discussion that lead to Lies of Freedom. It looked like a good way to help the process of building fun preexisting relationships between characters. I suspect that this is where the strength lies in a merger between the two.

However, for this game, I'm thinking more along the lines of setting one of the kits in the Freedomverse as a grounding point rather than say Chicago, Moscow or a space station.

As far as running a game on top of that, its a cool idea, but right now I don't have the time to devote to running a second game. If someone else wants to run with it, that would be fine.

I'm also curious as to how certain mechanics are going to work out in a pbp setting. The game would need a commitment from players to keep posting so that the game can keep flowing. That's always an issue but seems more critical in a game based on a series of 1:1 interactions. Tracking and awarding of dice also seems like it could be an issue.

The kits:
Heroes of Pinnacle City would be a more traditional small hero/villain/mixed scenario.
New Channel 6: I'm seeing as being those pesky reporters that are trying to get a good superhuman story.
Red Front and Hocus Focus strike me as a rogues gallery trying to do something bigger than they are- or trying to stay out of the eye of the big hero in the city.

Hopefully that touched on everything?
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby McGuffin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks, that answered my questions and I'd love to brainstorm further about this but I'll unfortunately have to bow out of this. Like it says in my sig, I'll have to try and sort out my computer and that really doesn't gel with a committed game like this would call for. Best of luck with it, I hope it goes well.

McGuffin
Paragon
Paragon

Return to M&M Game Room