Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

More Than Human (OoC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: More Than Human (3e One-Shot Interest)

Postby whiteprofit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:53 pm

My character would build better with fewer starter points and 30 points for powers. but that's just me.

She's a high school senior in cross country and track. She can communicate with others with telepathy and make suggestions to their thoughts to 'push' them to believe things. she also has the ability to read minds and use people's knowledge as her own, enhancing her own mental skills/abilities/advantages. Her variable descriptor power for skills and advantages allows her to become trained in something if the right person is around her and she is mentally aware of them.

I've actually, while writing this worked the points down to 25 points for the powers, the original build on 45, and am wondering if we need to pay for cellphones and stuff. And would it be acceptable to take speed 1 and leaping 1 as part of her cross country and track long jumping?
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Leaping 1 is a little much (15 feet straight up). Speed 1 is fine.

I can actually see even military being built on 40 points, especially with the skill house rule.

Let's do this: PL 3 (45 points) and +2 power levels (30 points) to spend on powers and related traits.

I'll put that in the opening post when I'm done. If your particular concept requires less points, then that's fine, not everyone has to be at the limit, you can have points below the limit to possibly spend later. Limits are to stop you after all, you can go below them.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Added to the opening post:

Characters would be built as normal humans (PL 3 [45 points] and +2 power levels [30 points] to spend on powers and related traits). Write up the human character and add the powers in a quote box. All powers that enhance traits must be bought as Enhanced Traits in the quote box to easily differentiate between character and powers. You can purchase more than one power, but it should make sense in a set, not a random collection of powers. I'm looking for those simple ideas that would make you, as an average person, be in awe seeing it in real life.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby greyfox776 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 am

Ryan M. Danks wrote:
badpenny wrote:I don't know how you justify a ten year old boy being built on 50 points. That's practically a Navy SEAL.

I kind of agree. I would like to allow for normal human characters with customization (journalists, and the like), but a 10 year old would be lacking both in life skills and in abilities.

I do like the concept though...maybe we can figure something out. :|

I am happy to take the point hit and just build to what makes sense, or as you said maybe just save points up for later usage
greyfox776
Bystander
Bystander

Postby greyfox776 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:19 am

Edit: OK second draft done, big thanks to badpenny as i have stolen your formatting :D

Quote: "Your gunna have to catch me first!"
Power Level: 3
Concept: Power House
Legal Status: Citizen of the United States with minor criminal record
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: New York, NY
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: Maggie aka Mum (Mother)
Height: 5 ft. 9 in.
Weight: 150 lbs.
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black

Lucius Tailer - PL 3

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 1, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Advantages

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 5 (+5), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+3), Deception 4 (+6), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 2 (+4), Perception 4 (+6), Stealth 3 (+6)

Powers
Super Muscles – Enhanced Strength 7, Enhanced Stamina 7, Leaping 2 • 30 points

Equipment

Offense
Initiative +3
Grab, +1 (DC Spec 17/10)
Throw, +2 (DC 22/15)
Unarmed, +3 (DC 22/15)

Complications
Bad Crowd: Some of Lucius’s friends are junior criminals in the making, it’s only a matter of time before he gets pulled into a situation that puts him on the wrong side of the law.

Rebellious: Although not a bad kid Lucius does not like to be told what to do, especially by those that appear (to him anyway) as authority figures. While not outwardly hostile this will cause him to go against the grain where possible.

Motivation: Doing Good/Thrills: If asked Lucius would say that he helps people because it’s the right thing to do, in truth while he does feel helping people is right he just enjoys seeing what he is capable of and putting himself in dangerous situations only to come out on top is the biggest thrill he has ever experienced.

Relationship: Natasha is Lucius’s first girlfriend and the two display all the symptoms of budding high school sweethearts. He has not yet told her of his new abilities but is on the verge.

Secret Identity: No one is yet aware of Lucius’s new found abilities and he wants to keep it that way for now. He has taken to carrying a black ski mask around just in case he needs to power up, it might be a little difficult for him to explain why he has it to the police though…

Minor: Lucius is not yet legally an adult, thus as a 15 year old he is not able to enter bars, buy plane tickets etc without parental consent.

Languages
English

Defense
Dodge 3, Parry 2, Fortitude 7/0, Toughness 7/0, Will 2

Power Points
Abilities 20 + Powers 30 + Advantages 0 + Skills 9 + Defenses 1 = 60

Background: Lucius grew up in the Bronx in a small 1 bedroom apartment with his mother. He had a normal enough childhood, he was always a very athletic kid which made him popular at school. Though not academically gifted he showed potential and eagerness at any physical activity presented to him and by the time he was in his teens he was already being scouted for his performance on the basketball court.

His most loved activity however was parkour aka free running, ever since he had seen that first <Insert world appropriate action star here> movie he had wanted to try it, and try he had. Though he had suffered a few setbacks, a broken arm and some bruised ribs he had kept at it and soon his exploits amazed as he seamlessly leapt from building to building and over under and through obstacles.

Some of his friends are not the kind of people you want your kids to hang around however and as he got older his brushes with the law increased. Some graffiti here, a shoplifted snack there and fighting with other kids in the streets and alleys, while he could outrun most of the authorities he did get caught a few times but nothing serious enough to see time.

<Not sure if you want anything on powers in backgrounds, so I will leave it blank for now>
Last edited by greyfox776 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
greyfox776
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:25 am

I was thinking about this. Since the game is roleplaying heavy, I'd prefer characters who went a little crazy on background skills anyway. I could see a 10 year old having dabbled in skating, sports (maybe) and video games. He's going to be a hero, so make him good at the things he likes to do.

Make him interesting. Be creative. Just because high ranks in abilities and most skills would be out of his reach doesn't mean he can't be made to be fun. He would have some very fun complications. Try to make him work. I'm opening this to full recruitment, so have at it.

Edit: that build you have is lacking character. Think about what he likes and give him appropriate skills.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: More Than Human (3e One-Shot Recruitment)

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 am

I haven't read all the way through this, and the picture of Teen Titans is more lighthearted than I intend here, but this might help you out.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby badpenny » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:33 am

Ryan M. Danks wrote:Leaping 1 is a little much (15 feet straight up). Speed 1 is fine.

You could use the Athletics skill guidelines to determine the various distances for the Leaping power:

As listed for a fifteen feet running long jump
Divided by 2 for an eight feet standing long jump
Divided by five for a three feet running high jump, and
Divided by 10 for a 2 feet standing high jump.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:41 am

Posting my interest, been reading this thread, but posting from my phone, so I will have a more comprehensive post up Sunday evening. :)
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby badpenny » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 am

- withdrawn -
Last edited by badpenny on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Belial666 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 am

How about a vibration-projector? I.e. someone who can "scream" really loudly if she wants to and finely control the direction of those waves. Shatter glasses and windows, break objects held by people, pierce eardrums and crack bones... take down the walls of Jericho - you know, the usual.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 am

Nice build, badpenny.

Belial666, I'm more concerned with characterization than powers at this point, but those sound fine.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Lisbeth McArthur

Postby Belial666 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am

Lisbeth McArthur
Concept: Vibration Controller
Legal Status: Irish immigrant with no criminal record (flagged as "political activist")
Identity: public
Place of Birth: Belfast, Ulster (not "ulcer", colonial heathen!)
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: lots (the McArthur clan back in Ireland)
Height: 6 ft. 1 in.
Weight: 142 lbs. (needs to lose weight, according to her boss)
Eyes: grey
Hair: grey
PL 5 Irish Legend
"I'm fat, you have multiple fractures; who's worse would be debatable if only you could speak."

Background
Born in Belfast, Ulster to a rather large and ancient Irish clan, Lisbeth decided that she had to get away from the rural quiet (and her overbearing family) if she were to amount to anything exceptional. Playing to her strengths over higher education, which included good looks and acting ability, she aimed for a career in arts from as early as her first year in high school. Her four elder brothers hounded her towards more "realistic" and "practical" goals though, not to mention the rest of the family. Not persuaded to abandon her goals in the least, she decided to move to the States and greener pastures as soon as possible.
Coming to the United States, it did not take her long to discover that artists and actors mostly went hungry until someone important noticed their talents. Not willing to wait for that, she pursued something easier, more immediately gratifying and something she was eminently suited to; modeling.

Complications
Motivation - Fun and Games: Lisbeth does most everything for the fun of it. This lands her into trouble more often than not.
Fame: Lisbeth is a fairly successful model, despite her young age. While most people would not know her at first glance, some -especially those in the fashion or unhinged stalker industry- might.
Enemy: Since she came legally of age, and especially in the past few months, Lisbeth has decided to take up activism. While she hasn't broken any laws yet, people of established authority that have seen her file (or may access it) will usually distrust her and refuse to accommodate her (though they aren't exactly her enemies)
Quirk - Looks: Lisbeth's hair turned grey at a very early age. She usually dyes them during her work but the dyes do not seem to last longer than a couple of hours. She doesn't mind that in her daily life - they match her eyes after all - but she does stand out.

Languages
English (with a decidedly Irish accent)

Abilities [20 pp]
Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 1, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 3, Presence 2

Advantages [4 pp]
Very Attractive, Equipment 2

Defenses [5 pp]
Dodge 3, Parry 3, Fortitude 3, Toughness 3/7*, Will 3
*with powers

Skills [16 pp/42+4 ranks]
Acrobatics 6 (+7), Athletics 3 (+4), Deception 6 (+8/+13), Expertise: Model 8 (+10/+15), Insight 5 (+8), Perception 5 (+8/+14), Persuasion 8 (+10/+15), Sleight of Hand 1 (+1), Unarmed 4 (+4)

Equipment [10 ep]
Smartphone (cellphone+computer+camera+GPS)
Fun-time handcuffs (handcuffs, fuzzy and pink)
Brass Knuckles (st-based damage 1)
Mask of the Smart Political Activist (gas mask+flash goggles)
1 ep still undecided

Powers
Cry of the Banshee: Damage 2, Penetrating, Selective, Cloud Area 7
Absorb Vibrations: Protection 4
Sense Vibrations: Senses 3 (accurate extended 1 hearing), Perception 6 ranks (limited to hearing)
Ride the Current: Flying 1 (gliding)

Offense:
Initiative: +1
Grab: +0, DC 11
Hand to Hand: +4, DC 16 (17 with brass knuckles)
Cry of the Banshee: autohits, DC 17 (DC 16 if a DC 17 dodge is successful)
Social offense: average DC 20, 25 when good looks would be beneficial.
Last edited by Belial666 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
Belial666
Mastermind
Mastermind

Juan Porter

Postby Evolución » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 am

Name: Juan Porter AKA Tres Estrellas Porter AKA El Luchador Height 18 mts
Skin: tan Weight 90 kg
Hair: Black Shape Human
Eyes: Brown Age: 34 years

Short Bio:
Former thug for the Mexican Mafia, Juan managed to escape a life of troubles with the law becoming a Lucha Libre fighter. Wrestling gave Juan a way to control his anger, earn money and not hurt anyone, besides his ring opponents of course. He made himself a name, and before he knew it, he was in NYC, competing for the world championship. He, however, lost. His powers awakened that same day, and with the ability to teleport, and the frustration of having lost, his bad self kicked in again, and Juan fall into robbery.
His troubled mind found a way to overcome his bad habits yet again, and decided to use his powers not to steal, but to help.

Complications
Temper: Juan has anger control issues.
Fame: Tres Estrellas is a famous luchador among the spanish speaking population

Abilities ( 18 pp)
Strength 5 , Stamina 2 , Agility 0 , Dexterity 0 , Fighting 2 , Intellect 1 , Awareness 0 , Precence -1 .

Advantages ( 4 pp)
Imp. Grab (from power) , Improved Hold 1 , Chokehold 1 , Close combat 1 , Fastgrab(from power) , Move-by action (from power), Equipment 1

Skills ( 5 pp)
Acrobatics 3 (+ 3 ), Deception 0 (+ -1 ), Athletics 3 (+ 8 ), Expertise( Nature ) 0 (+ 0 ), Insight 3 (+ 3 ), Treatment 0 (+ 1 ), Persuacion 0 (+ -1 ), Technology 0 (+ 1 ), Close (unarmed) 2 (+ 4 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 0 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 0 ), Perception 3 (+ 3 ), Intimidation 0 (+ -1 ), Investigation 0 (+ 1 ), Stealth 0 (+ 0 ),

Offence
Initiative: 0
Brass knuckles + 5 Attack for DC: 21 Range: Melee
Throw + 5 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Ranged
Unarmed + 5 Attack for DC: 20 Range: Melee
Grab + Granted by unnarmed attack Attack for DC: 15 Suffocates when restraining

Defence ( 18 pp)
Dodge: 6 Parry: : 6
Toughness: 4
Fortitude: 5
Will: 5

Equipment Cost
Bow 6
Knife 2
Spear 4
Leather armor 1
Medium shield 4

Powers ( 30 pp)
- Blink ( Teleport 6 : Change direction, Change velocity, Accurate 6, Increase mass 4, Subtle 2. Advantages: Moveby action, Imp. Grab, fastgrab ) · 29 point/s
AP: - Mass blink ( Teleport 6 : Accurate 6, Change direction, Change Velocity, Extended, Limited to extended, Increase mass 7, Subtle 2 ) · 1 point/s
Last edited by Evolución on Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby EnigmaticOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:30 pm

I am tempted to do a character with Life Support and Impervious Protection/Toughness, though the occupation has yet to be decided. Something where it would be interesting to have, but not cliched. :D
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room