Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

3e Old School Fantasy (Recruiting 2, ends on 10/29)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

3e Old School Fantasy (Recruiting 2, ends on 10/29)

Postby Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Just what it says.
A heroic fantasy game with all the usual trimmings and maybe more. A group of bold adventurers starting off on a quest...and a maybe epic journey.

The world is not yet created and it will grow organically as the group advances.
However, with their character's backstories, races, homelands, etc. the players can help flesh out the world. You want to play an elf but want the elves of this world to be desert-dwellers? Go ahead.
You want to be a cleric of a good god of the dead? Invent him.

PL would be 5, I think, 85 pp, which allows for some might but nothing too powerful.

Special rule: Any point invested in skill points yields 3, not 2, skill points. Exception: Attack skills, there it's still 2 for 1

Interest?
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Re: 3e Old School Fantasy (Interest)

Postby Ysariel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm interested. Not looking forward to trying to build a character on 75pp though...
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:37 pm

I certainly like the fact that the players can define the world and subvert usual fantasy tropes.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:I certainly like the fact that the players can define the world and subvert usual fantasy tropes.

I agree.

Since the level and points are so low, I assume we're looking at low-magic fantasy (can't get a decent giant race in on those points).

There are a lot of fantasy games on these boards right now, but I'm interested. I really like the idea of player-created settings.

I'm thinking I want to play an elven ranger. I guess, since we will probably have multiple elves, that we can come up with different clans for them? That way each player still gets to address their individual created characters?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Neo-Paladin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Of course. And as for points and Pl, I want the feeling of starting at level 1 basically. :) Character progression will at first be a bit quicker than usual for MnM.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Count me in. This sound exciting. Bards are acceptable, right?
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Sounds good, but after looking at inspiration pics, I don't think I want to be an elf (already playing one anyway).

Is it okay if we make up our own race, assuming we give you a thorough breakdown of them? If so, any power effects off-limits?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby bi0philia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:50 pm

poisting interest, here's a placeholder for when i get time to come up with something
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 am

Yes, of course you can make your own race. Besides Variable, you can pretty much go wild.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 am

Last question, as it will determine which way I go: how do you feel about pet dragons? Obviously, not the huge evil kind, as I wouldn't have the points for it. But something of a mount for the character with the usual dragon trappings.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

The Toads and Sapo Toa

Postby Evolución » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 am

I'm definitly interested. On new races, I'm going to submit this:

Toads

In this world, Toads evolved to sentient beings, heavily attuned to the wilderness and nature. Mystical and strange to the other civilized races, the Toads live in dwellings they build in the depths of large swamps and lakes, much like beavers build their nests. Their permanent link with water has given them the ability to manipulate it and communicate with the spirits that inhabit water bodies. Their society is divided in three castes, each with their responsibilities and obligations, and special traits, maintained by inbreeding within each caste.
There exists the Caste of workers, which are wide skilled and talented in many forms of art and labours, from forgemasters to locksmiths and lumberjacks. They are smaller, theirir complexion is light but sturdy, with able hands and sharp minds. The caste of Spirits are Toads with a special link with the spirits of the land, they can communicate with them, and ask them to do things for them. They are thin and somehow skeletal, save fro their big heads and eyes, more like a tree frog than a toad. The caste of warriors is made of bigger, strong built, big headed toads. Their duty is the defence of the community, and expelling invaders, as well as controlling the less honourable members of society. Some Toads have abandoned their communities to wander the world in search for adventures and thrills, something not very usual in the Toad pacific society. To them, the other races, despite their technological advantages are but ruthless brutes, primitives of mind and spirit. Given their language is so different than common, they communicate by signs and gestures, and the occasional guttural word.

Sapo Toa is one of those adventurous individuals. A member of the warrior caste, Sapo Toa is trained in various weapons, and his strong body is born for battle. He was assigned bodyguard of his community's herbalist, a dangerous job, since herbalists are known to carry many valuable medicines with them, as well as storing them in their houses. One fatidic night, Sapo Toa was standing guard while the herbalist gathered his herbs from the swamp, near a fallen tree. Something moving in the treetops catches his attention, instinctively rising his shield and closing to the herbalist. From the tree leaped a werecat! Having no teeth to grit, Sapo intercepted the were cat, taking the force of the blow himself. The creature's attack was overwhelming, and sent him unconscious to the ground. The herbalist was not so lucky; Spirit caste members are weaker, and all it took was a deep slash of the cat creature's claw to end his life. When Sapo woke up, he found the dead herbalist, and the herbs gone. Ashamed of his failure, he decided to abandon his community, after burying the herbalist on dry ground. He now seeks redemption though battle, offering protection to others, in exchange for very little but friendship and supplies.

Name: Sapo Toa Height 1.5 mts
Skin: Healthy green Weight 60 kg
Hair: None Shape Toad
Eyes: Yellowish Age: 34 years

Complications
Phobia : Fire scares the sh*t out of Sapo Toa
Weakness : Fire can severly damage Sapo's sensitive tegument.
0 : 0
0 : 0

Abilities ( 28 pp)
Strength 5 , Stamina 4 , Agility 1 , Dexterity 1 , Fighting 2 , Intellect 0 , Awareness 3 , Precence -2 .

Powers ( 25 pp)
- Poisonus skin glands ( Affliction 5 : 1: Vulnerable, 2: Defenseless. Resisted by fortitude. Limited degree. Accurate 2, Reaction ) · 17 point/s
- Toad tongue ( Extra limbs 1 : Improved grab ) · 1 point/s
- Toad's physiology ( Immunity 4 : Disease, Suffocation (drowning), Poison ) · 4 point/s
- Toad feet ( Swimming 3 : 0 ) · 3 point/s
Advantages ( 14 pp)
Imp. Grab (from power) 0 , Improved Hold 1 , Ambidexterity 1 , Evasion 1 , Favored enviroment (Swamps) 1 , Chokehold 1 , Fastgrab 1 , Move-by action 1 , Close combat 1 , Equipment 4 , All out attack 1 , Instant up 1 , 0 0 , 0 0 , 0 0 , 0 0 , 0 0 , 0 0 , 0 0 .

Skills ( 13 pp)
Acrobatics 3 (+ 4 ), Deception 0 (+ -2 ), Athletics 2 (+ 7 ), Expertise( Nature ) 4 (+ 7 ), Insight 2 (+ 5 ), Treatment 0 (+ 0 ), Persuacion 0 (+ -2 ), Technology 0 (+ 0 ), Close Combat1 3 (+ 5 ), Close Combat3 0 (+ 2 ), Vehicles 0 (+ 1 ), Sleight of Hand 0 (+ 1 ), Ranged Combat (Throwing) 2 (+ 3 ), Ranged Combat2 0 (+ 1 ), Ranged Combat3 0 (+ 1 ), Perception 4 (+ 7 ), Intimidation 0 (+ -2 ), Investigation 0 (+ 0 ), Stealth 6 (+ 7 ),

Offence
Initiative: 1
Unarmed + 6 Attack for DC: 21 Range: Melee ( )
Throw + 3 Attack for DC: 21 Range: Ranged ( )
Grab + 6 Attack for DC: 16 Range: Melee ( )
Spear + 3 Attack for DC: 24 Range: Melee ( )
Paralytic Poison + 6 Attack for DC: 16 Range: Triggered melee ( )
0 + 0 Attack for DC: 0 Range: 0 ( )

Defence ( 5 pp)
Dodge: 5 Parry: : 5
Toughness: 5
Fortitude: 5
Will: 4

Equipment Cost
Bow 6
Knife 2
Spear 4
Leather armor 1
Medium shield 4
Last edited by Evolución on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby EPIC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:14 am

You know I'm interested. I'll loom through some things when I get home before i try to call dibs on something.

Question.. would my Warforged Warlock or something based on it fly for this game or no? He was built on pl5 75pp.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

He would work, just come up with a background for the warforged of this world.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Neo-Paladin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:Last question, as it will determine which way I go: how do you feel about pet dragons? Obviously, not the huge evil kind, as I wouldn't have the points for it. But something of a mount for the character with the usual dragon trappings.

Sure, a race of demidragons or dragonlings would be fine. In the place where the adventure starts, dragons are feared, however, so there might be some mixed reactions from the townsfolk.
Last edited by Neo-Paladin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neo-Paladin
Overlord
Overlord

Postby EPIC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Neo-Paladin wrote:He would work, just come up with a background for the warforged of this world.

Sweeeeeet. Saves me sooo much time with the build by it already being done. The backstory itself works well enough as well. Just need to work out a backstory for the watforged race.. which is easy enough.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Next

Return to M&M Game Room