Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Lies of Freedom - Recruiting (Cut OFF 10/31)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Lies of Freedom - Recruiting

Postby Nillaman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm willing to change the background on that. Couple ideas for the change.

1. Doctor Sin trains him as one of his elite bodyguards, then on his deathbed, imparts an alchemical potion that will either see him reborn as a paragon of humanity or be turned to ash if his will isn't strong enough.

2. Mastermind attempts to use him in an experiment to replenish the slowly dwindling superhuman forces they have at command, replicating the DNAscent process back on Earth.

3. Exposure to the radiation of space during a brief airlock mistake causes the former henchmen, along with residual energy from the super suit he once used, to grant him greater then human potential. His long battles in space turn him from a two-bit mook into a capable and dangerous soldier.
Roster: http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47345

Zork is the best onomatopoeia in the world.
Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Sakuro » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:07 pm

MASSACRE (Aiden Faust)

PL: 12 PP: 180

ABILITIES: STR 4(5) STA 4(5) AGL 4(5) DEX 4(5) FGT 16 INT 0 AWE 2 PRE 0

DEFENSES: Dodge 16 Parry 16 Fort 14 Tough 5(8) Will 10

OFFENSE:
Initiative +13
Grab, +16 (DC 15)
Mono-Molecular Blade, +16 (DC 18 Fort, DC 23 Tough), (Crit. 20)
ESPer Blade, +16 (DC 18 Will, Will DC 23 Will), (Crit. 18-20)
Unarmed, +16 (DC 20 Tough), (Crit. 20)

SKILLS: Acrobatics 9(+14), Athletics 5(+10), Expertise [Crime] 5(+5), Insight 8(+10), Perception 8(+10), Stealth 9(+14)

ADVANTAGES: Agile Feint, Connected [Misc. Henchmen/Mercs.], Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Inititive 2, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack 1[C. Concealment], Quick Draw, Redirect, Skill Mastery 2 [Acrobatics, Stealth], Takedown 1, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

ENHANCED ADVANTAGES [MAD SCIENCE IMPROVEMENTS]: Diehard, Great Endurance

POWERS:
ALIEN-TECH SWORDS Easily Removable Device, 1 Altrnate Device, 12 PP
"Mono-Molecular Blade", Strength-based Damage 3 [Extras: Linked with "Weaken Toughness" (+0/r)], Weaken Toughness 8 [Res. by Fort - Extras: Affects Objects (+1/r)]

Alt - "ESPer Blade", Strength-based Damage 3 [Extras: Alternate Resistance "Will" (+1/r), Linked with "Weaken Will" (+0/r), Incurable (1 pp) ; Advantages: Improved Critical 2], Weaken Will 8 [Res. by Will - Advantages: Improved Critical 2]

BODY ARMOR Removable Device, 10 PP
"Lifesupport", Immunity 9 [Critical Hits, All Enviromental Conditions, All Suffocation]
"Cermasteel Shell", Protection 3
"Visor" Senses 1 [Infravision]

MAD MOBILITY Multiple Powers, 1 Alternate Effect, 11 PP
"Geko Adhesion", Movement 2 [Wall-crawling 2]
"Faster than Hell", Speed 6
AE - "Great Bounds", Leaping 6

MAD SCIENCE IMPROVEMENTS Multiple Powers, 13 PP
Enhanced Strength 1
Enhanced Stamina 1
Enhanced Agility 1
Enhanced Dextrity 1
Enhances Advantages 2 [Diehard, Great Endurance]
Immunity 3 [Aging, Disease, Poison]

EQUIPMENT:

COMPLICATIONS:
Imperfect - Massacre's physical enhancements were made in less than ideal circomstances, and with little concern for him long term wellbeing. Some flaws may begin to appear.

Complicated Gear - Massacre knows how to use his equipment and maintain it. But for any serious repairs he needs a more tech-savy person to do the work for him.

Just a Henchman - People who don't know what Massacre has been through, and what he's become, aren't likely to take him seriously. Before he was whisked away to fight far off alien threats, he was "just a henchman".

Loyalty - When Massacre manages to form an attachment with someon, he does whatever he can to support them. Even sacrifice himself. The inverse is also true: if he is betrayal, he'll do everything he can to ruin the traitor.

Abilities 68 + Powers 46 + Advantages 16 + Skills 22 + Defenses 28 = 180/180

BACKGROUND:
Aiden was a promising athlete, who happened to make a bad choice in life. A friend, to was in a gang, asked him to watch his back on a job. It went poorly, the police showed up, and Aiden wound up in prison. There he got an education in crime, and even managed to get hooked up with some work when he was released. He wasn't a good burglar, or with many finesse jobs, so Aiden often wound up as en enforcer, grunt, or the like.

He wound up becoming a career henchman. Thrown into dangerous situations, or used as a stall tactic along with dozens of other faceless grunts, Aiden had the surprising fortune of surviving all of these ordeals even with his employers might not have. He saw prison time, but just as often he escaped with the help of the various friends and allies he acquired over the years. Then he jumped back into the life once again. Part of it was the money, but he also had friends, fellow henchmen, who he felt the needed to watch out for. To be honest, Aiden also liked the action.

One day he was in the wrong place at the right time, working for one of the super powered villains that would be abducted so earth could be saved. In the chaos Aiden was taken as well and wound up as one of the few all too normal people caught up in a Terminus level conflict. One of the super-scientists decided it would be a good idea to make Aiden more useful, and took the opportunity to try out some experiments in creating a quick and dirty super soldier.

Enduring the ordeal, Aiden came out alive, and went on to become one of the few survivors of the conflict. He even savaged alien technology to augment his fighting capabilities. Throughout it, he grew in leaps and bounds, as if untapped potential were finally being released. In the survival of the fittest environment, Aiden had to grow in leaps and bounds.
Roll Call thread: Character Cache
Sakuro
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby TempestII » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:27 pm

EnigmaticOne wrote:- Tempest: I don't see why AEGIS is going to put a perfectly capable heroine onto the ship. That's the biggest problem at a glance.

The way I envision her is that she wasn't a part of AEGIS. She was government property, and the technology to send a working ship full of villains into another solar system didn't exist. So, they decided to use her to do it instead, by putting her into the ship to guide it using her magnetic powers.

Granted, it's a little flimsy. Perhaps she volunteered and swiftly regretted her decision. Perhaps she wasn't given a choice and it was a case of "your sacrifice will be appreciated, soldier". What are your thoughts?

@At Badpenny:
- Speed of Thought: You're quite right, that's a carry over from when she had Intelligence 5. A spare point I suppose.
- Fgt -1/Parry 9: Well, I've already payed the penalty by having to fork over an extra point ot take Parry from -1. Maybe she's got a lot of practice in dodging? Although, with the point free from Speed of Thought, I could just reduce Parry by 1 to 8, that'll give me two, and bump Fgt back up to 0.
- Extra Limbs/Elongation: The concept behind it is that those powers are there to represent her being able to use pieces of metal as extensions of her body, like extra long limbs. For example, she carries around some 5 stainless steel rods and encounters a goon. She takes those rods out and uses her Magnekinesis to lift them up and throw them at Mr Goon. They compress against his body, circle around his limbs and bend and twist to seize him. In further concept, she can use 5 stainless steel ball-bearings to type on a comptuer at once without needing Area, or she can brush her teeth with a metal toothbrush, comb her hair with a metal comb, do her nails with a metal file, use a ball-bearing to rub a moisteriser cloth over her face and turn the tap water on and off all at the same time. She can use these "extra limbs" out to about 250 feet, as per the Elongation. That's idea behind the Linked Effect.
-Incurable Magnetic Beam: Because it really hurts? Hah, kidding. But seriously, I figure scrambling all the electrons in someones body via a concentrated beam of magnetism would have far-flung consequences, maybe even ionizing them. Consequences that are longer-lasting than a brick to the face.
- Simultaneous Nullify: Oh? Hero lab gave "technological" descriptor as one of the examples so I ran with it.

Thank you for your input Penny, I appreciate it :). If you disagree with something I've said feel free to bring it up.
TempestII
Cohort
Cohort

Postby greyfox776 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 am

EnigmaticOne wrote:The first portion of reviews:
- Greyfox: I'm reluctant about Variable, and you still have a wide latitude of powers you could make up at will, so I'm going to nix on the Variable. Also, I'm not really understanding how the nano-tech affected the Doc in the first place or that the order of events you've described makes a plausible framing.

Alrighty, with that in mind i will resubmit (i figured i would try my luck with variable but i completly understand the nix lol), i might change to a PA build and rename him while i am at it.

I have put the new submission in the place of the old one here , also i kept the background to dot points for now to make it easier to shape, as always suggestions and feedback are very welcome =)
greyfox776
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SpeedofZound » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm

having a hard time figuring the tone we're going for here, as it go's on I'm seeing more reluctant/punchclock villains. So, how light are we going? I'm thinking of a villainous reporter who wants to expose the heroes less out of spite and more out of it being the 'scoop of the century'
SpeedofZound
Bystander
Bystander

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Still looking for feedback on what i have so far. I'm having writer's block in terms of how to introduce Elizabeth into Warlock's life, and how he was shipped into deep space. My idea for the latter is that he is hunted down by one of the mystically inclined heroes, maybe Eldrich or Seven, or possibly Foreshadow, for the murder of seven virgin girls in a failed ritual attempt at bringing Elizabeth back to him. I figure that he was probably in a trance, meditating on another method to try, when said hero springs upon, lashes some antimagic cuffs on him, and knocks him out with a trank. When he regains control of his body, he is chained to the chair of a ship, headed straight for the Star-Khan fleet. But I now need to figure out how to get him to meet Elizabeth so he can actually date her, lose her, and be driven to near madness in an attempt to rectify his mistake. (I am thinking of changing his goals from bringing Elizabeth back to simply meeting her ghost and apologizing for not being there, you know, to get some closure from it. I figure that having him be hung up on his dead wife all the time wouldn't be a good enough villain, and having him use any means necessary to pay for his sins and gain closure would give him a bit more twisted bent to his character.) Thoughts?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm also looking for any feedback one could give on Doctor Domino. He may be too silly for this setting, and I've got other villains in mind if that be the case.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby greyfox776 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am

Sakuro wrote:One of the super-scientists decided it would be a good idea to make Aiden more useful, and took the opportunity to try out some experiments in creating a quick and dirty super soldier.

Providing my new concept gets approved, and you are cool with it, my character could have made/worked on your armor and /or swords.The super-soldier stuff would need to come from elsewhere though, but that just adds to the melting pot effect of heaping together a bunch of villains in a dangerous situation where they will need each other to survive.

dreamking89 wrote:I'm also looking for any feedback one could give on Doctor Domino. He may be too silly for this setting, and I've got other villains in mind if that be the case.

Same, i went for the reluctant villain angle but if you want more of a bloodthursty Evil guy, or something else i can do that too
greyfox776
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sakuro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 am

SpeedofZound wrote: as it go's on I'm seeing more reluctant/punchclock villains.

Massacre isn't reluctant. He likes the action, and is a violent person. In a bygone age he might have been a Viking, or other warrior-criminal. He isn't a clock puncher/jobber anymore either. The character is in a transitional phase. He was a nobody, now he's probably one the most dangerious people on Earth.

dreamking89 wrote:I'm also looking for any feedback one could give on Doctor Domino. He may be too silly for this setting, and I've got other villains in mind if that be the case.

Since you asked, I'll share my observation: He does seem gimmicky. I have a feeling that the Causality Expertise is either going to be used too broadly, or be a waste of PP.

A mastermind like you describe in the background requires more Expertise skills like Crime, and higher Pressence. Anyone with Leadership should have a bonus to Pressence. You mention employing henchmen, but no social skills are present, and again no Pressence.

greyfox776 wrote:Providing my new concept gets approved, and you are cool with it, my character could have made/worked on your armor and /or swords.

I left out the specifics of who did what so players with super-scientists could step in say "my guy could have contributed this". So I would be cool with that.
Roll Call thread: Character Cache
Sakuro
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 am

SpeedofZound wrote:having a hard time figuring the tone we're going for here, as it go's on I'm seeing more reluctant/punchclock villains. So, how light are we going? I'm thinking of a villainous reporter who wants to expose the heroes less out of spite and more out of it being the 'scoop of the century'

No. It is not appropriate at all.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nillaman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:11 am

I was under the impression that these were all people considered dangerous and undesirable by the general populace, but with greater then average powers or potential, who'd been sent off on a suicide mission.

We've seen so-called psychopaths sacrifice themselves for others. We've watched madmen and crime lords help lead their armies as generals would. We've seen extraordinary things done by those who would have been a joke back on Earth. Though it all, we are the last, the few, the proud.

And to hear someone else taking credit for your work. For the sacrifices others made.

Well, wouldn't you be pissed too?

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:43 am

Nillaman wrote:I was under the impression that these were all people considered dangerous and undesirable by the general populace, but with greater then average powers or potential, who'd been sent off on a suicide mission.

We've seen so-called psychopaths sacrifice themselves for others. We've watched madmen and crime lords help lead their armies as generals would. We've seen extraordinary things done by those who would have been a joke back on Earth. Though it all, we are the last, the few, the proud.

And to hear someone else taking credit for your work. For the sacrifices others made.

Well, wouldn't you be pissed too?

Correct.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:45 am

Ok, I'm going to do this. You have another week, until the 31st to get submissions in. Then I will pick those I like most and focus with the players on refining them. That fair?
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Lies of Freedom - Recruiting (Cut OFF 10/31)

Postby kenmadragon » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 am

Fair enough. Gives me time to figure out the rest of the background and fiddle with my remaining PP...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Lies of Freedom - Recruiting (Cut OFF 10/31)

Postby Nillaman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am

Sounds good to me.

Nillaman
Firebrand
Firebrand

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room