Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

The League of Extraordinary Persons (IC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: The League of Extraordinary Persons (IC)

Postby dreamking89 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:28 am

Jareth
Condition- :shock:
Hero Points-2

The owl fluttered in surprise at the sight of the woman. It was her, the one he had sought. The march of time had slightly weathered her beautiful features, but the owl would recognize that woman anywhere. Before it could reveal itself, another thought came to mind. What is she doing here? the owl thought to itself as it took to the air.

Silently taking to the air again, the barn owl returned to the compound. It flies overhead, circling high above the woman as she moved over the gates and towards the OCP building. It stayed hidden, however. It wasn't clear how the humans guarding would react to his true presence. Much less how she would react....

Jareth is following Sarah by air and will protect her if she gets caught by any of the guards. He's still stealth-flying, though.
I'm not sure if you need another Stealth check, but here it is anyway.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Bluecross » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:24 am

Connor MacLeod
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

Connor got up and walked over to the table by the doors, his movements oddly graceful. Not like a dancer, or an athlete, but with an economy of motion that avoided obstacles and unnecessary effort. Keeping half an ear on the conversation, he snapped on a bracelet and grabbed some of the folders.

Sitting down at a table a little apart from the others, he flicked through the folders, looking at the missing persons reports first, trying to see if anything stood out, if there were any obvious patterns. That done, he did the same with the fire reports, again looking for any obvious patterns, sequences, or locations in common with the missing persons.

Lastly, he compared the two folders, looking for any connections between the two – were there fires on the same days that people went missing? Or one or two days before or after? Was there any connection between the missing people and the fire locations?

Investigation Roll: 1d20+8 → [1,8] = (9)

If it’s needed, or perhaps the GMs would like to roll it themselves?

( Pleeezzzeee, you can’t do any worse than I just did! :lol: )
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights
Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Bladewind » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:07 am

Lara Croft
Character Sheet
Condition: Normal
HP: 1

Doc Brown was amusing in a manner that reminded the British Archaeologist somewhat of Bryce, yet somehow more manic... much more manic. That was the funny part though, more manic than Bryce.

The folders were interesting, but a little out of her area so looking for links was a mite difficult. She wanted to look for patterns of age, location and the like but the idea seemed off.

"Hold a moment," Her British accent was as robust as her form, and spoke of someone who somehow managed to fit and break the stereotype of the stuffy Brit. "Do we have a map of this information?

"I am certain that the Amazing Randi, among others, could raise a debate that I am wasting my time, but I would very much like to see this information laid out on a map."

She indicates the folders,

"In fact, several maps that might be laid over each other.

"I'd like to compare the lists of people and their locations as well as the arson sites to the disturbances. Also, do we have a history on this hamlet? Founding fathers, local legends, crop circles... anything?

"The temporal disturbances are one thing, and many a charlatan has played the paranormal card, but I have seen far too many disturbing coincidences to think for one moment that the supernatural can be dismissed as hokum."

She ponders some more, and pockets a cellphone and a bracelet without putting it on.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby roguescribner » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:56 am

Chun-Li

Crowley--mesmerized by your cleavage, perhaps, or maybe just a little absent-minded after a long shift--steps partially outside of the booth and leans forward to get a good look at your badge. A fork-lift carrying a large crate passes near the gate, momentarily blocking the view.

GM wrote:Opposed deception: 1d20+5=6

League HQ

Connor rifles through the folders and scans the lists of missing persons and arson sites. Some missing persons had direct ties to the some of the fires: flower shop employees, custodians, gardeners, etc. Mainly it seemed random. Any connections seem accidental, not purposeful. Most of the missing persons are minors, not older than 12 years of age. Judging from the names, they are also mostly minority children.

On Lara's question, Scully shakes her head. "Good idea, but I'm afraid I neglected to think of it myself. I'll work on that right away and will have the maps prepared before you leave. As for local history, well, if there is anything of import that relates to the investigation, that still needs to be determined. General information can be found on the internet or among our library here." The woman excuses herself as she leaves the library, leaving everyone alone in the room with a wide-eyed Doc Brown. "I provided a map," he mused to no one in particular.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bladewind » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:12 am

Lara Croft
Character Sheet

roguescribner wrote:The woman excuses herself as she leaves the library, leaving everyone alone in the room with a wide-eyed Doc Brown. "I provided a map," he mused to no one in particular.

"Indeed. A very scientific map, allowing for a lot detail despite the short time you were given." Lara seeks to soothe the scientists ego. "But my experience has shown me that there is very little that is random in this world.

"Call them Dragon Lines, Ley Lines or Magnetic Energy Fields. These things have a tendency to intersect at what some might call hotspots. What Randi would call Charlatans are sometimes aware of these things, and are able to tap them with the right ritual and/or technology.

"I just wish to be aware if we are heading into a significant area."
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:48 am

Co-GM Post

Lara Croft
The Amazing Randi himself appears at your elbow. "Although I made my reputation debunking the supernatural, I'm well aware that there is a Hidden World that does not subscribe to the normal, natural laws. Jay-Ref's Million Dollar bounty is primarily to dissuade the uninitiated into delving into these dangerous realms. Of course, not by tempting people with a lot of money, but embarrassing the frauds that try to win it. Additionally, my bounty occasionally brought me into contact with some of these dangers, allowing me to combat them before they spread." Randi considers Doc Brown's map, before strolling over to a huge sepia coloured globe.

Randi leans over the globe, spins it over so that he is studying the South-Western States, and he draws some lines from Mexico and Venezuela up through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California with his agile, aged fingers. "I'll need my laptop and an astrolabe to be sure, but San Luis Obispo appears to be 200 miles from any major Ley Lines." Then, he opens the globe to reveal a well stocked liquor stash. He reaches in to produce a large crystal bottle full of a dark brown liquid. "Scotch, anyone?"

My deepest apologies to James Randi. In a real world sense, he would absolutely despise this notion that he's actually involved in hunting supernatural threats (which would imply that such a thing actually exists) but it makes no sense in the context of this campaign to honor James Randi... but to deny the supernatural in a Fantastic setting. Jay-Ref is JREF, the James Randi Educational Foundation.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby CaptainChaos » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Buckaroo Banzai

Buckaroo took a bracelet and a folder. He found an empty chair and sat down to peruse the contents of the folder. While the information it contained was no doubt factual, it was not terribly useful. They needed the key piece to tie it all together.

Who or what would target gardens, nurseries, and flower shops? Perhaps an alien species of some sort for whom oxygen was poisonous? Trees and other green leaf plants took in carbon dioxide, combined it with water, and converted it to sugar and oxygen. That would make some sense if an alien species was attempting to rid the Earth of oxygen. Doing it by destroying plants and trees would take an extremely long time though. There has to be some other reason for targeting gardens, nurseries, and flower shops.

As for the abductions, they seemed to be all young children. He knew that some groups of unsavory people in the world often abducted children and sold them into slavery but that didn't seem to be the case here. Maybe one of the others had some ideas?

"Has any of you read through the data and come up with a hypothesis? I've thought of a few but quickly dispelled them upon reviewing potential reasons."
CaptainChaos
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Ralph Hinckley
Condition: Good

Ralph takes all of it in. All of these "extraordinary people" gathered in one place. Did he really belong here? He wasn't really sure. After all, it wasn't HIM that was necessarily extraordinary, but the suit that made him extraordinary. Yes, currently, it seemed he was the only one that the suit would function for so he supposed that made him extraordinary. But would he put himself in the way of danger without the suit? The answer would have to be no, and yet, these people, who apparently didn't have "powers" like he did (why did Agent Scully have to call him a "bonafide superhero"?) routinely put their lives at stake for the greater good. Even Bill still puts himself in the line of fire now and again. Still, Ralph would put himself on the line for Bill, or Pam, or anyone of his students, suit or no suit. After all these years, the nagging doubts still persisted but so did Pam and Bill. They were his touchstone, his raison d'etre. He wouldn't let them down now.

"Scotch, anyone?"

Drink? At a time like this? There are children missing. Then a dawning realization came over Ralph. He could help find the kids....and possibly the arsonist(s) as well. He had found Pam and Bill on a number of occasions by holding something personal of theirs and concentrating. He could do the same with the kids and the firebugs. He just had to be relatively close. If, as Agent Scully had suggested, they would be splitting into two groups, he would volunteer to be in the group to investigate the arsons and disappearances. Time was of the essence.

Ralph went to Doc Brown, the scientist who had made the map.

"Dr. Brown, my name is Ralph Hinckley. I think your map is wonderful, just the way it is. You have done an excellent job. I teach special education classes in my "real" life. Science is one of the subjects that I teach and I have a basic knowledge of the fundamentals but as far as temporal anomalies are concerned, I am at a loss. However, I do have special "abilities" when it comes to locating missing persons. And your map provides sufficient information for me and hopefully a few of my colleagues to proceed now. However, I do not wish to proceed without clearance from Agent Scully or one of the other higher ups in the organization. Is there a way to get her back here?"
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby sweetja713 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Lord Fell wrote:Silent Bob

With a start, you realize Sugar Ray is just a couple feet away from you. You didn't hear him approach at all. He's glancing around with a furrowed brow, and he's ... sniffing.

A look of puzzlement washes over Silent Bob's face only to be replaced by one of understanding. He holds up a single finger to Suger Ray, reaches in his trenchcoat and pulls out a small spray bottle of something. He sprays it twice towards himself, puts it away and gives a nod and a thumbs up.

Having done that he turns his head back to the conversation. He wasn't really too worried about what was doing this. In his experience fate would just drag him along until he wondered into an answer. Still it was good to listen to the ideas of the others. Maybe inspiration would strike.

Using my odor nullfiying spray
sweetja713
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Chun-Li
Character Sheet - HP: 1

Chun-Li had let a slight smile stretch across her face when she held up the ID, but when the stupid guard leaned out and the forklift drove past, it turned to a devious grin.

Grabbing the guard's wrist, Chun-Li pulled him in to her. The moment when his balance was upset and he was teetering quickly forward, she turned her hips and thrust at his pelvic bone with her butt, sending the guard flipping over her.

Attack Check: 1d20+8=18 (Damage 4)
(Despite the above description sounding like a throw/trip, I'm only using it as flavor to be able to deal damage, not just have the target go prone, it's an unarmed attack and if she misses/he resists damage, he isn't grappled.)
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Bluecross » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Connor MacLeod
HP: 1 Condition: Normal

Connor put the folders to one side, sighing slightly. Experience should have told him that these kinds of cases usually require some shoe leather on the ground to solve. Still, there were a few interesting things in there.

”I’ll have a Scotch, since you’re offering.“ Connor sipped the drink slowly, the taste bringing back a flood of memories. Heather, Ramirez… …Kurgan. He put the drink down, the taste bitter now in the back of his throat. One day there’d be a reckoning.

”Doctor Banzai, any ideas you have, however odd, may help. I’m at a loss, I have to confess. I can’t see any obvious pattern, but there are a few interesting things.

Some of the missing people had connections to the fires – shop workers, gardeners and so on. The others, not any connection that’s evident.

The missing people are mostly young, under 12, and mostly from minority ethnic groups, if their names are anything to go by.

My thoughts are that the missing people are probably not all random. There’s a reason they’re missing, not just that they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, or that they were working at the site of an arson. So it seems reasonable to postulate that someone or something is targeting minority children.“

From his expression it’s apparent that Connor doesn’t think much at all of that.

”I think we’re going to have to go out and take a look round, talk to people and see if we can turn something up. Perhaps we could start with the missing people who do have a connection to arson sites. My suspicion is that either they saw something, or were there when the arsonists were there. If we could find one of them we might crack this open.“

"…. However, I do have special "abilities" when it comes to locating missing persons.

Hearing – Ralph, was it? – comment, Connor directed a question at him.

”Ralph, isn’t it? Would you like to join us in looking for some of these people? How do you go about finding them?“
"I know gun fu"

Crusher - Batch 9

Curt Mardis :- Tracer - Albright Institute

Connor MacLeod - LoEP

Minos - Wild Cards

GM for Toledo Knights
Bluecross
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Lord Fell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:57 am

Co-GM Post

Silent Bob
Your decisive action to banish the scent of the primo you were partaking earlier just seems to confuse Sugar Ray. He smiles and nods uncertainly. He glides away, towards the liquor filled globe. He moves with the fluidity and purpose of a cobra.

Ralph Hinkley
Doc Brown is nodding along with you almost immediately. "Of course! I am well aware of your identities, Mr. Hinkley. I..." Abruptly he stops, and gives you another look with eyes even wider than before -if that is in fact possible.

Abruptly, the legendary boxer is at his side. "To answer your question, Ralph, Dana is arranging transportation. I'll go see if she'll trade places with me. I had a look at all this evidence, and it looks like two unrelated crime sprees to me, but my sweet science isn't for solving this kind of problem."

As Leonard winds his way towards the door, the Doc kicks back into gear. "Proceed? Proceed! Absolutely you should proceed! Your own good sense and strict ethical guidelines are all the authority you need!"

Connor MacLeod
After receiving your tumbler of scotch from Randi, you make your way into the conversation between the mysterious Ralph Hinkley and Doc Brown. The elderly stage magician follows you.

"Doc Brown is absolutely correct, Master Hinkley. Our chapter in the League of Extraordinary Persons is coming to a close. One task for us remains, and that is to put your feet on the right path. It is not our place to give you orders or permission to achieve your goals. Remember that you are Extraordinary. That is both a Privilege and a Duty."

Buckeroo Banzai
Somewhat removed from the general conversation, your celebrated mind is processing information. The brief meeting with Scully has lead you to believe, in your expertise as a physician that the unflappable red-head is either undergoing a regimen of steroidal anti-inflammatories or she is a new mother. More likely the latter.

Idly you observe Connor MacLeod's movements as he crosses the room. A brief analysis of the way he moves makes it clear to you that he's a Swordsman. Not a fencer, actual blade fighting. He's still an unknown quantity, and you can't place his accent entirely. Most likely he is of European origin, and is fluent in more than one language.

However, none of that has anything to do with your true interest... the case at hand. Mentally, you add dots to Doc Brown's Map of fire locations, and a second set of dots for abductions. Then, you start processing for patterns.
Why not roll an investigation yourself?
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:40 pm

The Cape/Ralph Hinckley
Condition: Good

”Ralph, isn’t it? Would you like to join us in looking for some of these people? How do you go about finding them?“

Ralph turns to face the man known as Macleod.

"I possess an ability known as psychometry. I can touch an object, usually one that is near and dear to a subject, and see where that person is and approximately how far and in what direction they are. I can use this ability to find the missing children. I might also be able to use it to find the arsonist or arsonists, if what I have learned from the FBI and TV are correct about serial arsonists, that they take a very hands on approach with their work so their handiwork is something that is near and dear to them. If there is anything left of the incendiary devices that they used to start the fire, perhaps I can locate them as well."

"Proceed? Proceed! Absolutely you should proceed! Your own good sense and strict ethical guidelines are all the authority you need!"

"I certainly hope you're right Doc! For the sakes of those missing children, I hope you are right. Pam and I don't have any kids. She's an attorney, and I am teacher by day, superhero by night, afternoon, or any time the suit sends me off on another adventure. But I often try to imagine what it would be like to have kids. And then to have one go missing. If I can spare even one set of parents that feeling...."

He chokes up a little bit as he thinks of his students and realizes that, for the past twenty years, he HAS had children. It's just that they changed every four years. If one of his students went missing, there isn't a stone (or boulder) that Ralph would leave unturned to find them. As he collects himself, he begins to loosen his tie.

"Well, since we are about to embark on our first mission, I suppose I should change into my "work" clothes.

As the others watch, Ralph awkwardly doffs the outer layer of clothing to reveal a red suit with a black cape, with a symbol on the chest that defies description. As he takes off one of his shoes, he stumbles into the globe, nearly spilling the contents.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby roguescribner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Jareth

You watch as Sarah ducks low and scurries to the fence line. She peers around some crates stacked on the other side of the chain-link. The facility is booming, considering the late hour. Sarah jots some notes on a pad and shoves it in her pocket. She eyes the barbed-wire above her head and looks back down. She pulls out her composite bow and starts digging in the ground with it. She's not having much luck. You get the sense she didn't come here with any sort of plan.

Chun-Li

Crowley never saw you coming. One second he was peering down at you, the next he was slumped to the ground. The fork-lift is leaving your immediate area, so you'll soon be exposed.

GM wrote:1d20=2+1 is OUT!
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bladewind » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Lara Croft
Character Sheet

Lara notes Banzai out of the corner of her eye.

"Spot something?" That pouty accent again... "I was hoping to look for some kind of pattern but couldn't see the forest for the trees. Perhaps if you saw something I did not, you might save Scully the headache of scribing more maps..."

Lara looks like she is about to say something else, or at least complete the sentence, but Ralph doffs his civvies and she suddenly understands why Scully referred to him as a superhero. She'd never actually heard of him, but figured he must be called Awkward Man or some such.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room