Omniverse: When Worlds Collide (OoC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Omniverse: When Worlds Collide (OoC)

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Here's an idea, explored in another thread, for a 4-color superhero game based on the comics of the 1990's. An event unknown to the world resulted in all of the various multiverses being combined into one "Master Reality". This is the only reality that exists. Because the realities were merged in both space and time, the history was rewritten as well. It's as if this is the only reality that has ever been.

Here are the details.
The Justice League is a council of various superhuman cultures and organizations throughout the world (Kheran survivors, The Blue, Mutants, etc.). Through several highly-controversial policies set forth by them, they have taken to “policing the world” and defend the innocent from evil forces (sometimes accused of stopping those they perceive as evil, but which is subjective).

Stormwatch serves as the cosmic defense element of the world, stationed aboard Skywatch and launching missions into space through Stargate-like portals. They are funded by the United Nations and take orders from that body.

The Avengers came together after mutant terrorists devastated New York City’s twin towers. After their first mission, conducted in the heart of the Middle East, they began coordinating with other governments of the world, but not truly following any of them, despite its members all being American.

The Xavier Institute of Higher Learning formed to teach those born with superpowers, whether it be from mutation, alien parentage or any other origin, to deal with their powers and learn responsibility for their consequences. A number of students were convinced to leave the institute and skirt the line of law. IO calls them “WildCATs”.

International Operations is a spy network put up in the ’70’s and serves as the eyes and ears for the American government in all corners of the world. At their suggestion, SHIELD was created in the late ’90’s as an organization to combat and secure superhuman criminals. Since the inception of SHIELD, both groups have been at odds with one another over the way each conducts themselves during operations. The biggest argument between the two is the Weapon X Project, which was instituted by IO but cancelled soon after due to inhumane treatment of its subjects. SHIELD has since secretly reactivated the Project.

The streets of New York are protected by the Dark Knights, a family of vigilantes who serve under the rumored Batman. Daredevil, another rumored vigilante who operates in Hell’s Kitchen, he and his group, known only as The Hand, are reported to be in a shadow war with the Dark Knights. Meanwhile, a menacing criminal figure, known as the Kingpin, is enjoying unusual success in the realm of organized crime as the two vigilante groups fight amongst each other. His only concern is an arachnid themed vigilante who has come on the scene in the last few months.

In the realm of rumors, the League of Shadows, which operates in the Far East, have trained some of the deadliest assassins in the known world, including Daredevil and, if rumors are to be believed, the Batman. Their founder, Ra’s Al Ghul, is the only male trained Coda in history, and for that “crime” is hunted by the female assassins.

The Coda appeared on the scene thousands of years ago and greatly influenced Grecian culture. They are a band of all female immortals who train their bodies in the fires of combat. They are the foremost martial artists and assassins in the world. Many were naturally born on the destroyed Kheran homeworld.

The Kheran homeworld, destroyed several millennia ago, was the homeworld of many powerful beings. Since their arrival on Earth, many Kherans have mixed into human history, though some have created organizations to command and carry out their wills.

Beneath the seas, the fabled city of Atlantis (ruled over by a race known as The Blue) is locked in a race war with The Black, an oceanic race from Khera.
Everyone starts out as "beginning" heroes. That isn't to say that you just began, although you could, but you are at the level where you could hold your own in a solo world, but would probably do better with a partner. Similar to Spider-man (in fact, think of the Spectacular Spider-man to get my drift).

I'd like to keep the team diverse, as in Justice League Unlimited or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes diverse.

Everyone starts out at the Spectacular Spider-man level (but as diverse a team as you want, dependent on the fiction in the opening post) and then grows into larger roles. Instead of a linear increase in PL, though, I was thinking of mixing the increase in power into the story. Choosing one or two characters per adventure, I would have an event tailored to them (so the number that improves in a single story depends on power origins) that ups their power level. Everyone else would remain wherever they were until it's their turn to go up. This gives every player the chance to shine as the "awesome hero" once in a while, but everyone else will catch up.

Martial artist focused characters could undergo special instruction during an adventure (or in the downtime between, according to the fiction), magic characters could receive an artifact that boosts their power, a mutant might further a mutation as a result of an enemy's DNA morphing attack, etc.

This idea works very much like how the comic books work in terms of power creep.

If you want to have ties to an existing character let me know which one first. I've been working on a list of them and what they're doing/involved in. If its not directly listed on the opening post, ask.

And remember, no existing characters as PC's. You must be custom characters.

As for level, lets start with 10 (150 points) and go from there.

No former Justice Leaguers, as they are too powerful, and no Avengers "Prime" (core team) members, although Avengers was part of a larger movement to strike back at terrorists so they would have lots of reserve members that you guys can draw from.

Warren Wagner - Maya (EnigmaticOne): Mutant Illusionist

Jason Marsh - Voth (Hound): Powerhouse

James Mason - Advent Arcana (Zen_Gypsy): Mage Paragon

Hybrid (Walking Dad): Psionic shapeshifter

Xolotl (Evolución): God of fear and death

Conduit (Bladewind): Teleporter/Spatial Controller

House Rules
Impervious: Make resistance checks normally but, if the effect rank is less than your Impervious rank, reduce any degree of failure by one; zero degrees of failure counts as one degree of success.

Initiative: Doesn't exist. Actions take place as they are posted. In combat, no one is allowed multiple posts/actions between GM posts unless they spend a Hero Point to Surge. Villains are the same, unless they give a Hero Point to whoever is supposed to go next for a Surge.
Last edited by Ryan M. Danks on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Character Idea

Post by Evolución » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Xolotl, monstrous god of the dying, mischief and bad omens.

Xolotl was the twin of Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent god, creator of the fifth world, our world and was the dark personification of Venus, the evening star.
Before Quetzalcoatl's creation, there were other four, subsequently destroyed by other gods. Xolotl assisted Quetzalcoatl in his battle against the god of the dead, Mictlantecuhtli, to rescue the bones of the ancient gods and goddesses. Quetzalcoatl wanted to use the bones in a ritual to complete his creation, as humans were flawed, and needed to be improved. But Xolotl wanted to use the bone of the ancient gods to bolster himself, overrule Quetzalcoatl and create the sixth world, by eradicating the human race. The Serpent God would not take lightly the arrogance of his brother: War ensured in the land, the armies of the sibling gods clashing under the sun.

Being more powerful, Quetzalcoatl gained the upper hand in the skirmishes, forcing Xolotl to give away terrain. However, by that time, the Spaniards reached the coasts of America, and began to wage war against the people of Quetzalcoatl. Attacked by two fronts, Quetzalcoatl was weakened and forced to take a choice. He decided to terminate the more threatening enemy, and sacrificed himself to seal Xolotl forever inside the Great Temple, and strip him of his godly powers, by taking his feathered crown and his skull sceptre, separating them into hidden locations.

The effort was so intense, it left Quetzalcoatl in dying agony. His efforts have saved the world, but also, sealed with Xolotl was the fate of his people. Unchecked, the Spanish conquistadores brought the mighty Aztec empire to its knees.

When realities merged, the seal that kept Xolotl imprisoned disappeared, freeing the entity to the new world. Xolotl was not aware of the changed that had taken place, being trapped by centuries. The new world is both fascinating and aberrant to him. Believing Quetzalcoatl had finally made his creations flawless, Xolotl unleashed his fury over them, but was soon overpowered by the Avengers. His godly powers were incomplete without his staff and crown. Being the god of mischief, his wits only rivalling with Loki's, Xolotl convinced the Avengers he was rehabilitated, and has been released. He is now forced to take place in the world's defence with his aberrant powers, and kept under strict SHIELD vigilance. Meanwhile, Xolotl has a secret agenda, finding were his late brother hide his artifacts.

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: When Worlds Collide (Interest)

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Cool story. Great idea for a villain. Or was that a character concept? The bit at the end is confusing on the matter.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Evolución » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:01 pm

He's not inherently a villain, he just wants to recuperate his godly powers to be a ... well, god. He is now being a hero, and he does it not because he's forced to, but also because a good god must keep its followers happy, even if he's the god of the dying. His portfolio and appearance might make him look like a bad guy but he is not. He is also not an advocate good doer, in D&D therms, he'll be True neutral or Lawful neutral.

Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Harry Ham Bone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Sounds cool. It would make it convenient to have all the characters in the same 'verse. I'd be glad to play.

However, "four-color" and "90's comics" don't really sound like they'd mix. The better half of the 90's was spent in the deeps of the Dark Age, and "four color" is usually used to describe the Silver and maybe Bronze Age comics.

Also, in the other forum about this, and I don't want to start a flame war, you sounded like you resented all comics after the 90's. Well, what if some people wanted to play versions of characters who appeared after the 1990's? (i.e. Damian Wayne, Jaime Reyes, X-23, etc.) Or have you just not read any other comics after the 90's?

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm

I had in mind for a very 4-color heroic themed game. I guess I could be convinced otherwise by a persuasive build, but that doesn't feel 4-color at first glance. I'm willing to give it a more thorough read through.

As for the '90's remark. I liked WildCATs, Jim Lee's run on X-Men and the way those lines were run (until Jim Lee left both, ironically), although X-Men were good up until the first movie came put (around the time of the Onslaught story). Likewise, Batman around the time Bane broke his back (although I'll consent to Hish being a favorite as well), and various Superman stories around his death (the animated versions of Justice League Unlimited, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes [very 4-color feel of what looking for despite the time of release] and Spectacular Spider-Man) are all things is like to base the tone of this off of.

In the previous thread I already stated, and will add above, that you must create custom heroes. You can have ties to established heroes, but you can't be one of them.

Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by Zen_Gypsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:23 pm

I've been looking to put together a versatile character for a while now, seeing as Evo scooped the mystical origin, I'll post that I am looking at some sort of cosmic imbued hero. Something of a Green Lantern, Nova Prime, Star Brand type idea.

What Power Level are you thinking for the characters Ryan?
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Evolución » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:I had in mind for a very 4-color heroic themed game. I guess I could be convinced otherwise by a persuasive build, but that doesn't feel 4-color at first glance. I'm willing to give it a more thorough read through.

As for the '90's remark. I liked WildCATs, Jim Lee's run on X-Men and the way those lines were run (until Jim Lee left both, ironically), although X-Men were good up until the first movie came put (around the time of the Onslaught story). Likewise, Batman around the time Bane broke his back (although I'll consent to Hish being a favorite as well), and various Superman stories around his death (the animated versions of Justice League Unlimited, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes [very 4-color feel of what looking for despite the time of release] and Spectacular Spider-Man) are all things is like to base the tone of this off of.

In the previous thread I already stated, and will add above, that you must create custom heroes. You can have ties to established heroes, but you can't be one of them.
Is it the origin, the aspect, or the actual concept that doesn't fit with your view? Knowing this I could work something around.

Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Harry Ham Bone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Ryan: Oh. 'Cause I read the New 52 and enjoy it. I hope you don't hold that against me personally and it doesn't affect my chances in LoW (Legacy of War) in any way. I'm glad I didn't start a flame war when I've only been on the forum for a week.

Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Cold Steel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I am thinking about an mutant with illusion powers who is one of Ra's Al Ghul's progeny (Talia can't be his only offspring) since Mastermind is overused in the baby making business as is. 8)
"Fortune favors the stupid!"

RuleofThree
Hireling
Hireling

Post by RuleofThree » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:01 pm

This sounds like an awesome idea! Lot of potential for playing all sorts of characters, or putting a personal touch on an existing character.

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Once again, no existing characters, please.

Don't be so quick to submit concepts. I still don't know how we're going to focus the game (what part of the universe, level, theme of the series, etc). That is actually what I'd like to discuss. I don't wantto focus on the multiverse event angle, that is just what made the setting available to play in.

Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Evolución » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Hmmm well it depends on how you want to set the game, for instance, if every player is not knowing the rest, an introductory event that gather the heroes is needed. Perhaps is a known threat, perhaps its a new villain or something like the Masters of Evil, seeking to destroy the heroes individually. After the initial scenes and battles are done, and the characters are more fond to each other, the next more world shaking main event can take place. Just my two cents.

Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Cold Steel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:00 pm

As to what part of this world to begin, i suggest an area that is not filled with other superhumans like NYC.
"Fortune favors the stupid!"

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 pm

What do you guys want to do? Lie, what do you want to be about? General wide reaching events/villains (JLA), protection of a class of citizen (X-Men), crime fighters (Bat-Family), intergalactic defenders (Stormwatch, in this setting), etc.