Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

High Fantasy Adventure - Original Setting

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: High Fantasy Adventure - Original Setting

Postby EPIC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm

bi0philia wrote:Still interested in the Lunari, if you feel like divulging any more information regarding them!

What exactly are you wanting to know?

Ryan M. Danks wrote:I'll be honest, that felt like reading a history book about a culture I know nothing about. Luckily, we now have Google. :)

What I was envisioning was Union, from Wildstorm. He had a stone in his chest called a Justice Stone, which he could touch to pull forth an energy staff to fight and shoot with.

Yes, you mentioned him. He had no influence in my creating this race. Your description of his ability is similar, but not the same. A staff comprised of energy really doesn't suit the concept. A physical staff that shoots energy is more applicable if tame and not terriboy exotic.

Like I said, run by me what you'd like to do, not what a character with a similar ability has.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Epic, do you by chance recall the Aqua woman build, to which you provided such aid in the past for the Teen gender swap game? I'd like to play that, if allowable. Back story would be dependent on further understanding of the games setting, but the basic build is the same, least as far as water manipulation goes.

Hows that sound?
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:06 pm

That was just my envisioning of what they, as a race, would be similar to, not what I thought to do.

So, quick question, do they call forth their weapon or has it already been forged and they sheathe it at their waste/back like any other?
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby bi0philia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm envisioning a medicine man/ranger esque character. You mentioned that different ones had different specialties, and that the myth tribe presided over a council of the others.

1.)any thing you could divulge regarding the Myth wildilngs
2.)while I imagine the concept meshes well with any of the race, any of those fore mentioned specialties lean especially in this direction?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby EPIC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Nineofspades wrote:Epic, do you by chance recall the Aqua woman build, to which you provided such aid in the past for the Teen gender swap game? I'd like to play that, if allowable. Back story would be dependent on further understanding of the games setting, but the basic build is the same, least as far as water manipulation goes.

Hows that sound?

I recall. You'd need Celestial gate magic to actually create water. I really need to get into how magic works. But anyways, something based on thag build would work. It would jusst need some mechanical changes to account for the Feyury racial mechanics.

Ryan M. Danks wrote:That was just my envisioning of what they, as a race, would be similar to, not what I thought to do.

So, quick question, do they call forth their weapon or has it already been forged and they sheathe it at their waste/back like any other?

Called forth from the gem on thier chest. The weapon is forged of thier soul and thier soul is within that gem. They don't need to touch it though. They can call it forth to materialize directly in thier hand.

bi0philia wrote:I'm envisioning a medicine man/ranger esque character. You mentioned that different ones had different specialties, and that the myth tribe presided over a council of the others.

1.)any thing you could divulge regarding the Myth wildilngs
2.)while I imagine the concept meshes well with any of the race, any of those fore mentioned specialties lean especially in this direction?

The Lunari transform into full and hybrid beast forms recall. So the Myth tribe is comprised of Lunari with mythical beast forms. There are no Dragon Lunari though just fyi.

As for the medicine man/ranger thing, your characters are too young to be accomplished in such endeavours. You may have some dabbling skill in it.. but the idea is that your character volunteer for the knights, not get conscripted.

So if you were dedicated to becomming a medicine man/ranger, the concept will not work. Of your parents were rangers and you simply picked things up but jumped at the chance to do something different, that would work. Makes sense?

As for particular tribes suited for being rangers... well, most any of them since the race as a whole lives in the wilds most commonly. Depends on the type of terrain you want. The Avian tribe is best suited in the mountains, the Canid tribe is better suited for the woods, the Reptile tribe is better in swamplands, the Feline tribe is best on the open plains. And those are just examples. There are many tribes, and they generally inhabit the kind of terrain thier beast type would normally inhabit where thier abilities are best suited.

As for medicine man, every tribe has healers and the like. No tribe really specializes at it.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Okay, here's what I'm thinking.

A samurai like character with two goals: serve his lord and become the greatest soul duelist in history. He devotes three hours or more everyday to training. The samurai saw the weapon as their soul, this one IS his soul. He meditates and practices focus techniques to balance and strengthen his soul, trains his body to handle the rigors of combat and forges the two into an unbeatable combination through hours of practice.

Not sure about personality yet, but he would definitely be a determined and focused individual, ready at all times to test the sharpness of his soul.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby EPIC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Samurai don't really exist, but i get the idea you are going for. He sounds like a Tyrant caste.

Recall i mentioned blaedier function on a caste system that is based on thier psychology? Knights and Guardians are the most common. Knights are like the rank and file soldiers, Guardians are supporters. Lords are leaders. Tyrants are warriors. Not the same way Knights are. Knights are like the Greeks that joined up with the Spartans in 300. Soldier. Tyrants are the Spartans. Born to fight. Conditioned to win.

Knights fight to live.. tyrants live to fight. They aren't obsessed or psycho or anything, but fighting is thier life. when not fighting, they are getting ready for the next fight, be it days or years.

Tyrants are very rare. Moreso than even Lords(though Lords have the higher social standing, Tyrants are nearly a law unto themselves).
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:17 pm

That sounds perfect!
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I think I might go for a mage type character (I like mages :mrgreen: ) but I have yet to see a really good race for them...I believe that the blaediers are rather good as warrior types, the wildlings as skirmishers, techen as battlesuits/trap/strategists, while the winglys are good support/ranged type tricksters, and the Lunari are like sort of out there. The Freyuri seem close to the mage type, but they seem more druid than wizard, and I don't think I an actually choose a single element...so are there any other races, one of which that might be more magically inclined than the others? If not, of the ones we already have up, which are the most magically inclined?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby zeone3000 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 pm

EPIC wrote:JThe Feyury: a race of quasi-elemental beings able to call on a guardian elemental spirit not only to serve them, but also enhance thier own abilities based on the element of the spirit. They come in Fire, water, air, earth, wood and metal. Occasionally, one will be born with the gift of two guardian spirts, though this is rare indeed.

OH! Tell more of these guardian spirits. Specifically of the metal kind. How do they serve and what do they look like? I think I get the enhance part of it.
]My first fanfic - Log of the Grinning Shadow - Chapter four is now up! Enjoy!
zeone3000
Zealot
Zealot

Postby EPIC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 pm

I am working on the longer write-ups for each race and magic and the setting right now. It'll take a while, there are a lot of thoughts and details to sort through and lay out. I can't promise it'll be nice-looking.

@zeone3000

The spirits of the Feyuri are...well, just that, spirits. They take form in the element they are of, and take the shape of some manner of animal made of it's element. Not necessarily related to the element in some direct way, but also in indirect ways. I'll go over the elements here and some examples.

Fire: Besides controlling flames and heat, they can also manipulate emotions of courage and of fear in both people and animals. They take the form of animals that also inspire such emotions, majestic animals like eagles and more nightmare inducing animals like snakes and spiders.

Water: They can control water in many forms(but not ice) and grant a heightened sense of empathy to the emotions of those around them. They also have the ability to heal as long as they have sufficient clean water and send visions and messages through bodies of water. They take more flowing forms, uniquely able to take more humanoid forms.

Air: Controlling winds is but one trick. They can also bend light, make distant things seem close, or send sounds. They also grant the Feyury great speed and heightened perception of such speed. They take the form of swift animals and birds.

Earth: Able to control soil and stone and grant their Feyury amazing strength when in contact with the earth. They can also trigger emotions of calmness and primal instincts in both animals and people. They take the forms of strong and loyal animals.

Wood: Subtle spirits able to manipulate wood and living plant life of all kinds, including enhancing growth. Able to send messaged through living plant life and trees. They grant amazing stealth, bending shadows as long as there is sufficient plant life, blurring and making it difficult to see, though does nothing to mask sound. They take the form of more subtle creatures and hunter animals.

Metal: Do not control metal so much as alter its properties, hardening or weakening, aiding it's movement, sensing without seeing and impressively, granting the ability to shield the mind from all manner of things like pain, emotions and all manner of influence and distraction. They take strong forms, often with natural weapons and appear armored due to their metal composition.

Feyury spirits may be blocked by use of their opposing element, Fire and Water, Air and Earth, Wood and Metal. Such opposing elements greatly harm the spirits.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby sirzanek » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 am

This sounds extremely intriguing. Expressing interest, but not going to land on a character until more info about the tech folks and the winged race are revealed. So far all of them sound like they have potential for awesome. Also really interested in how, if at all, the races usually interact with such divergent cultures. Party dynamics for this one could be brilliant.
sirzanek
Zealot
Zealot

Postby EPIC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 am

I'll post more info on the Wingly and Techen tonight after work, as well as what little there is to make note on humans.

Ideally when I do recruitment, I'll be able to get one of each race, but I'm not going to conform to that, I'd rather take characters that fit best
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:06 pm

EPIC wrote:The spirits of the Feyuri are...well, just that, spirits. They take form in the element they are of, and take the shape of some manner of animal made of it's element. Not necessarily related to the element in some direct way, but also in indirect ways. I'll go over the elements here and some examples.

Fire: Besides controlling flames and heat, they can also manipulate emotions of courage and of fear in both people and animals. They take the form of animals that also inspire such emotions, majestic animals like eagles and more nightmare inducing animals like snakes and spiders.

Water: They can control water in many forms(but not ice) and grant a heightened sense of empathy to the emotions of those around them. They also have the ability to heal as long as they have sufficient clean water and send visions and messages through bodies of water. They take more flowing forms, uniquely able to take more humanoid forms.

Air: Controlling winds is but one trick. They can also bend light, make distant things seem close, or send sounds. They also grant the Feyury great speed and heightened perception of such speed. They take the form of swift animals and birds.

Earth: Able to control soil and stone and grant their Feyury amazing strength when in contact with the earth. They can also trigger emotions of calmness and primal instincts in both animals and people. They take the forms of strong and loyal animals.

Wood: Subtle spirits able to manipulate wood and living plant life of all kinds, including enhancing growth. Able to send messaged through living plant life and trees. They grant amazing stealth, bending shadows as long as there is sufficient plant life, blurring and making it difficult to see, though does nothing to mask sound. They take the form of more subtle creatures and hunter animals.

Metal: Do not control metal so much as alter its properties, hardening or weakening, aiding it's movement, sensing without seeing and impressively, granting the ability to shield the mind from all manner of things like pain, emotions and all manner of influence and distraction. They take strong forms, often with natural weapons and appear armored due to their metal composition.

Feyury spirits may be blocked by use of their opposing element, Fire and Water, Air and Earth, Wood and Metal. Such opposing elements greatly harm the spirits.

Any inspiration from Jim Butcher's Furies of Calderon series?
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EPIC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Yep because thay series was amazing. The main difference is the race itself in appearance amd that I picture the guardian spirits as more like Eidolons or the Fayth from FF10.

The racial mechanics are using Summon.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room