Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - IC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Legacy of War - IC

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 am

The Weeping Willow Inn, nestled on the bank of the Wolf River, just down the hill from Redmont Castle. It's auspicious position, just below Redmont village and mere miles from two other villages, has made it a rather lucrative business, rivaling inns in larger cities, possibly even in Paladin City.

This week has been busy for the inn. The Day of Choosing is almost upon the fief once again, and a previous class of battleschool trainees has graduated after three long years of intense daily training. For years, battleschool graduations were held at the inn, and they were typically a loud bunch. This year was the largest graduation in decades, and the barmaids were running to keep up with the drink orders. The only thing keeping the newly trained warriors from tearing down the walls was the music, performed flawlessly by the tavern keep's longtime apprentice.

As usual, Baron Arald attended with his son, Tarkus. It wasn't customary for him to do so, but he enjoyed spending time with the people of his fief, and they loved him for it. Many farmers and servants consider him to be a friend, despite the difference of their station.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Re: Legacy of War - IC

Postby flynnarrel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am

Kroonin
hp1lp1

Inspired by the day's granduer, Kroonin gives one of the best performances of his life.

His customary shield is hung and he's tapping sections with little hammers to create different resonances, tones, and cadences. He sets up a subtle, persistant, low vibration - the rushing of a great river off in the distance. A series of light, sharp taps invokes the sound of rain falling in the stream. This goes on for a little while until, with a crash, battle by the stream is engaged. The ring of metal on metal conjures images of a fierce battle of armored foes with maces of swords. He drops one of the small hammers and grabs the shield to silence it's vibration when he strikes hard, twisting to cause the sound of metal tearing, a sword blow stricking true and piercing plate. Then, he starts the sound of a heartbeat, quick at first from the battle's exertions but slowing as the warrior's life-blood seeps out, slower and slower until he stops. The silence is a roar of soundlessness through the inn. Then, very softly, he starts the low buzz of the distant river, and the soft taps of rain in the water again. The sounds of life going on after a brave warrior's death.

The 'sing' ends, and Kroonin bows. He goes to join his friends for a drink.

Performance (1d20+7=27) erm... wow, a... scary start, the way my luck is this will be the last time I see one of these this game
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Plan B » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Tarkus

Tarkus was the taken aback by the dwarfs music. He'd never heard any music like it before.

"That was intense. I always thought dwaven music as all pipes and horns." He commented, before returning to his ale. He'd refraned form much of the celibation, as his father was attending. He hoped that later he'd get chance to catch up.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:39 pm

Umnir and Artemis approach the tavern doors. A tall, bald man with a dragon tattoo and wearing leather armor stops them.

"I can't let you in without paying the proper fee." He says.

Without a word, Artemis drops two silver pieces into the guard's hand.

The guard smiles slimily at Artemis. "Enjoy the hospitality of the Weeping Willow."

Artemis scoffs and leads Umnir into the tavern. The celebration already appears to be in full swing as a jolly looking dwarf finishes recounting a song to the rabble.

Umnir comments on his teacher's seeming lack of perception. "Mistress Artemis, that man didn't look like he worked here."

"He doesn't." Artemis replies. "He just extorted money from us."

"And you just gave him our money?" Umnir asks.

"Of course not." says Artemis "By Dalum, Umnir, haven't I taught you anything? When you steal from a Courier..."

"...Expect to be robbed two-fold!!" Umnir finishes, his eyes rife with relief and joy as he remembers the essential Courier proverb.

Artemis grins devilishly. "I've taught you well." she says, as she shows to him four silver pieces.

I just wrote this scene to set up Artemis and Umnir. Carry on with this scene how you'd like.

P.S. Is it an okay scene?
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:49 pm

MAGUS

It was a rather boisterous evening. All the new graduates were cavorting and making fools of themselves in the tavern, and Kroonin played an interesting tune. It was rather good and well played, evoking a sense of glory and power in Magus' heart which set it alight and beating throughout. It took Magus a while for his heart to settle after the rousing music. It was certainly lively, and even the Magus who had not the slightest inclination for the enjoyment of music or such boisterous behavior could appreciate it. Now, it is not to say that he was unaccustomed to such rowdiness. He had grown up in a tavern much like this, and was used to needing to avoid the drunkards and not get entangled in their brawl. Of course, with Kroonin's performance, the chaos seemed diminished, and Magus was grateful for his acquaintance's fine performance. Magus looked over at his friend Tarkus, who sat nearby, and saw that the young man was also surprised by the astounding performance. Magus smiled, then turned to his own drink, which hadn't been touched. He stared at it, knowing that he shouldn't drink since it would disrupt his concentration, and he would be unwise to drink. He knew fully well how alcohol affected a man, and he was in no rush to act like a fool, not when so many other people were doing it for him. He sighed, and turned to look for Mistress Aislin in the room. As he did so, he remembered that she would probably be with her 'romantic interest', and turned back to his drink. It seemed to be staring at him, daring him to drink. He resisted the urge to give in and join in the revelry. I must keep a clear head... He chanted to himself in his mind.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 pm

Baron Arald, "Dad" as Tarkus knew him, left a conversation about dead cattle two villages over and approached the table where his son and the Magus sat, a pint of ale in each hand.

"What's the matter, son? You haven't touched your drink," he said. "Don't forget, this is your celebration, too."

He put both pints on the table and slid it to both of the young adults. "Just because you didn't graduate from the battleschool doesn't mean you don't deserve a commencement celebration."

Feeling his work complete, Baron Arald returned to his rather droll conversation. He winked at the boys and lifted his own tankard to his mouth.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:22 pm

MAGUS

Surely the Gods are testing me... Magus muttered to himself, staring at the two pints of ale before him. He Shh OK his head to clear it of temptation, then turned to his friend with a troubled look on his face, trying to see how Tarkus was taking the whole affair.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby flynnarrel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Kroonin
hp1lp1

He accepted the congradulations and well-wishes from the other patrons as he made his way through the crowded inn. Finally the dwarf spies some friends that seemed to expect him.

"Ah, how're ye doin', lads?" He plops down at the table before Targus and the Magus, taking one of the full tankards and draining it before sliding the other one over for a leisurely draw.

"Ye both look a bit solemn on this festive day. Should I a-sang a bawdy tune of the migdet and the tavern maid?" He jests.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Plan B » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Tarkus

"I think the graduates would have appericated it, but the serving staff would never forgive you." Tarkus replied with a smile, gesturing for another round of drinks. "An amazing performance Kroonin, i never quite get used to it" He said rising to his feet. Taking a drink form the nearest tray.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 pm

"Mistress Artemis, why are we back in Redmont anyway?" asks Umnir.

"Patience, pupil." says Artemis. "Remember, a Courier keeps all secrets they carry. Our purpose here will be clear to you when it reveals itself."

"I understand, Mistress." says Umnir, nodding. "May I have your permission, then, to venture?"

"Very well, Umnir. But don't leave the tavern." Her eyes narrow as she speaks.

As Umnir navigates the crowds in the tavern, he sees a trio sitting at the bar. A white haired elf wearing mage's robes, the jolly-looking dwarf who was singing earlier, and a short-haired man in chain-mail armor. They are sitting and drinking like old friends. Umnir recognizes some of them from his youth, and decides to go and talk to them.

"Hello." says Umnir as he sits at the closest barstool. "You may not remember me, but my name is Umnir. I left Redmont when I was very young. I've returned here with my mistress Artemis Stern."
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Plan B » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Tarkus

Tarkus eyed the slight man, who introduced himself, searching his for recognition, the large mans face furrowed a moment, before smiling.

"Umnir, good to see you, nice to hear you doing well." Tarkus half-laughed slapping Umnir on the shoulder. "Still as skinny as a rake. Get this man and drink and something to eat."
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

"Hello, Tarkus! Or, I should I say, Sir Tarkus." says Umnir as he grabs his pint of mead. "It's good to know that at least one person here remembers me." He takes a swig of mead, and wipes the froth from his face. He gazes over at the other characters sitting next to the knight. "I don't recognize these two. Who may you be?" he calls to the elf and dwarf.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby flynnarrel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Kroonin

He's about to request Tarkus grab him another tankard as well when the newcomer shows up.

The dwarf squints. "I left this town quite young meself. Grew up in tha Frozen North. Dinnae think I've had tha pleasure. Kroonin's me name." He holds a meaty hand out in greeting.
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Umnir accepts Kroonin's handshake, finding the dwarf's grip very tight. However, his nimble thief's hands manage to slip out when he withdraws. "I've never been to the Frozen North myself. I spent most of my training in Paladin under Artemis Stern." As he talks to the dwarf, his gaze leans to the white-robed elf.

He approaches. "I see you are a mage, and an elf! You must have some interesting tales to tell!"
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Plan B » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Tarkus

"Sounds like my find of training." Tarkus laughed crudely, before composing himself.

"This is Magus, the mage, fortunate name if you ask me."
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Next

Return to M&M Game Room