Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[OOC] Occult Detectives [2E]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

[OOC] Occult Detectives [2E]

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:49 am

Current roster:
Jeremiah Repko - Jaded detective
Allistair Napier York, the First - Artifact hunter
Thomas Crane - The good doctor
R'eva the Failure - A demon scourge of incompetency

Recruiting post:
So, I re-opened the topic and people expressed interest. I'm looking for four people. PL 4, 75 PP. You shouldn't need to hit your combat caps. If you have Artificer or Ritualist (or Inventor), you can have 10 pp of items built at the start of things, anything from your ace in the hole to trinkets you might keep with you for general usage. These items will not be permanent, but it gives me a bit more of an idea as to how your character maintains readiness. You can also have a few designs on-hand that you've thought out (done the research) but haven't built. Do note, though, that these are stored in some physical format whether it's a grimoire, a computer database, or a songbook. Due to complexity, they're not something that you can have memorized even if your character does have eidetic memory. I would prefer to have people keep their exotic saves at a PL-1 average at most (that's a total of +9 in this case), but I'm willing to let people talk me up to a PL average to represent their characters being surprisingly hard to take out.

I'm going to tentatively set this in Pittsburgh since it's convenient to me geographically speaking. ^_^ As of now, don't worry about putting a story together about how you met the rest of the group, although if you want to, you can explain how you got to the city. You don't have to, of course, in which case I'll just weave the whys into the story at the beginning of things.

I do recommend Knowledge skills. Investigate will not be a must, but without it, the team will have to call in favors to get things analyzed and studied.

I've had seven excellent submissions. I'm going to pick four total come December 14th. Should be interesting. :)
Aja Wilson - Brilliant amateur detective
Jacob Valentine - The Charming Magician
Jeremiah Repko - Jaded detective
Sebastian - Undead butler
Allistair Napier York, the First - Artifact hunter
Thomas Crane - The good doctor
R'eva the Failure - A demon scourge of incompetency

Original post from last year
So, I really enjoyed reading the stories of an occult detective agency posted here, and it seems like a fun environment to run in. I'd be looking at setting things up as a PL 5-ish setup with minor powers at most, mainly focusing on investigative work and fun leaps of logic by the players. It would be 2E, of course. Anyone think they might be interested?
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: [Interest Check] Occult Detectives [2E]

Postby Ysariel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 am

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, the idea (and linked thread) sound really, really cool. On the other, I'm way, way too scatterbrained for a campaign focused on investigation. :lol:
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 pm

I would be interested, but invisible castle is giving me grief by not letting me login, so once that is settled, I could probably submit an application. (But seeing as the problem has persisted for a week and a half now and the moderators there have not replied, I wonder if its a futile effort...)
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Bending Equalist » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 pm

By leaps of logic, do you mean we'll be Adam West Batmanning?
Stuff I've Made - Obligatory Character Thread
Bending Equalist
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 pm

Sounds fun, but could we consider 3E?

I find I like 3E alot more, but I could live with 2E if I had to.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 am

Ysariel wrote:I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, the idea (and linked thread) sound really, really cool. On the other, I'm way, way too scatterbrained for a campaign focused on investigation. :lol:

^_^ Yeah, I know. The Wild Cards: Aces & 8's game involved investigation and I can't count the number of times, as players, we stopped and said, "Hey, we have no idea where we're going with this. Who was the suspect again?" Still, it's feasible. It mainly requires people to be willing to occasionally use the search function to check back on clues, as well as a little bit of verisimilitude in terms of not turning that into perfect recall. :-P

kenmadragon wrote:I would be interested, but invisible castle is giving me grief by not letting me login, so once that is settled, I could probably submit an application. (But seeing as the problem has persisted for a week and a half now and the moderators there have not replied, I wonder if its a futile effort...)

I'm not opening up recruiting just yet. I'm waiting to see what happens with another game of mine first so as to ensure that I have sufficient time to post. I went through something like that myself. At first, it was because I was confused over what my user name was. Now, it gives me an error when I log in, but I can then click on Roll Dice and I'm in.

Bending Equalist wrote:By leaps of logic, do you mean we'll be Adam West Batmanning?

^_^ Only if you take the Conspiracy Theorist feat... I'm still a bit amazed they didn't put that one into the Silver Age handbook. Seemed like a perfect fit to me.

Hound wrote:Sounds fun, but could we consider 3E?

I find I like 3E alot more, but I could live with 2E if I had to.

Sorry. I only have 2E books and what I've seen of the system thus far hasn't given me any reason to switch over.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 am

Sign me up, Fuzzy.

I already have a detective character, but not an occult detective and he is a PL 6. I'll try to tone him down to a PL 5 or go with a new concept.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby bi0philia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 pm

I've been wanting to play a detective based game for awhile now, L.A. Noire as a game is an inspiration

as far as tone were you thinking like a call of Cthulhu hopeless kind of occult or another direction?

Modern times or a noire kind of thing?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:11 am

bi0philia wrote:as far as tone were you thinking like a call of Cthulhu hopeless kind of occult or another direction?

Modern times or a noire kind of thing?

I was planning on modern times. The tone of it is that the occult is fairly omnipresent, but for the most part, it doesn't impact most peoples' lives and the "weirdness filter" keeps most people from noticing. Visualize Harry Dresden before the Red Court shenanigans.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Cinder » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Boots, I have never played by post before, but I would be interested.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:24 pm

I was busy with games at the time, but I think I'd like to give this one a go. Characters would be people who've been touched by the occult, whether it's acting as a wiccan hedge wizard for the community, being a faerie creature or very minor godling, someone who's been affected by the magic in the world around them and decided to bump back, or simply someone aware of magic who employs mundane skills. Low combat, no world-shaking powers, mainly solving mysteries. I'll have to put together what binds you all together, but the basic idea is that, for one reason or another, you've become a detective agency to help those affected by the occult.

Modern day seems to the easiest time setting. Location, I'm not decided on, as well as whether to set this in a world where the occult is recognized among the mainstream, one where a masquerade is maintained, or one where no one really tries to hide it, but most people filter out the weirder bits without thinking about it.

I would prefer to keep this 2E, if for no other reason than that I like the system and it's more friendly to use of skills instead of combat, but I might be able to be swayed towards 3E.

^_^ I know people expressed interest over a year ago. What's the count like today?
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenmadragon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Uh. I've sort of forgotten pretty much all my 2e stuff, but if you wouldn't mind me re-learning it all again, I'm game for this. I'm thinking of something along the lines of Constantine, only not chain smoking or drunk a lot. Maybe a minor mind-trick 'spell' but the focus in rituals and stuff.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby EnigmaticOne » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:40 pm

I'll give this a shot. Thinking of pre-running my Dresden Files character (in a to-be TT game) here for a rough start. Mortal, college age, has an unfailing habit of winding up having the supernatural brush into his life... you know. Excellent detective though. :mrgreen:
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ysariel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:22 pm

I'm still interested. I will need to think about a character though. :)

Do you want people who are already familiar with the supernatural world or those who are relatively new to it?
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)
Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Spectrum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Sounds like it could be a lot of fun- except for the 2E part. :(
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Next

Return to M&M Game Room