Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Superheroes (recruiting closed)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Superheroes

Postby Cold Steel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:32 pm

I'll have to reread the rulebook and make changes. maybe a damage effect?
"Fortune favors the stupid!"
Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Full Life Support & Critical Hits would be pretty solid, then you could all out attack down to zero without worrying about some clown coming up and critting you.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Cold Steel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:48 pm

i have edited the bio to add Immunity to Damage effect: fatigue.
"Fortune favors the stupid!"
Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Postby McHatin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40 am

Here's the weekend bump. Need more players :)
McHatin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Me Grimlock » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:53 pm

I am interested, and thinking of possible concepts.

I am also new to 3rd edition so I will have to work at it a bit to get my concept fully written down. I will post it and slowly add powers/benefits/etc... hope that is okay.
Me Grimlock
Bystander
Bystander

Postby bi0philia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:59 pm

interested, here's a placeholder post
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby speeddemon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

This seems pretty interesting, I even have a character concept.

A two bit magician who's barely able to make enough to make ends meet loses even more popularity when the world becomes more interested in the people who can actually defy the laws of physics, versus the minor tricks of slight of hand hacks like him. In order to stir up buisness he tries to preform a death defying stunt, that he isin't prepared for. It goes wrong along the way and just when everyone (including himself) thinks he's about to die, he feels a surge of power within him and he makes hand signs and speaks words he never knew before. Suddenly he is saved and the crowd is amazed at what appears to have been an even more incredible magic trick than advertised. He knows the truth though. On that day he joined the rank of the meta-humans and gained the ability to preform REAL magic (or at least magic like abilities). He is still unsure of his place in the world, but has tentativly created a costume for himself and started fighting crime as Magus. He still preforms tricks for money, and so far hasn't consciously used his powers to improve his tricks, feeling it would give him an unfair advantage over the other magicians who worked to get where they are.

This is just a rough outline but it was a concept that I thought might be neat. As for powers I know he would have some form of concealment, disguise self, intangibility, and create object. I don't think those powers would break the game, but they do tend to trivialize some obstacles so I thought I'd mention them. What do you think?
speeddemon
Champion
Champion

Postby McHatin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Me Grimlock wrote:I am interested, and thinking of possible concepts.

I am also new to 3rd edition so I will have to work at it a bit to get my concept fully written down. I will post it and slowly add powers/benefits/etc... hope that is okay.
Sounds good!

bi0philia wrote:interested, here's a placeholder post
Cool.

speeddemon wrote:A two bit magician who's barely able to make enough to make ends meet loses even more popularity when the world becomes more interested in the people who can actually defy the laws of physics, versus the minor tricks of slight of hand hacks like him. In order to stir up buisness he tries to preform a death defying stunt, that he isin't prepared for. It goes wrong along the way and just when everyone (including himself) thinks he's about to die, he feels a surge of power within him and he makes hand signs and speaks words he never knew before. Suddenly he is saved and the crowd is amazed at what appears to have been an even more incredible magic trick than advertised. He knows the truth though. On that day he joined the rank of the meta-humans and gained the ability to preform REAL magic (or at least magic like abilities). He is still unsure of his place in the world, but has tentativly created a costume for himself and started fighting crime as Magus. He still preforms tricks for money, and so far hasn't consciously used his powers to improve his tricks, feeling it would give him an unfair advantage over the other magicians who worked to get where they are.
Not bad.

speeddemon wrote:This is just a rough outline but it was a concept that I thought might be neat. As for powers I know he would have some form of concealment, disguise self, intangibility, and create object. I don't think those powers would break the game, but they do tend to trivialize some obstacles so I thought I'd mention them. What do you think?
So are you thinking a grab bag array? I tend to make encounters based on what my heroes can do. So, if you have a power that's accepted, you'll most likely need it for a situation you're in. I ask that my heroes don't step on other heroes toes. Mystics tend to be the jack of all trades types, supporting others. Nothing wrong with that!
McHatin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby McHatin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm gonna give this one more week. It started strong, but it seems no one's biting now :(
McHatin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby speeddemon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 am

Yeah it will probably be in an array. Actually probably two arrays would work best, one for defensive powers like protection, intagibility, and concealment, with the other one having more offensive powers. Your right about him being a jack-of-all trades, but the diversity will mean he won't be as good in any one area as some who is specialized will. Hmm, I'm thinking of giving him a group teleport spell if he's going to support, as that can help all the characters arrive at the same time (I've played in groups 8 people but only 3 characters have anything to increase their movement), but I thought I'd mention it to you first in case it would be difficult to make challenges around it. This is my first time playing both in 3e and as a mage so if there is any other advice you could give me, please do so.

I'm not sure about the others, but I usually check in here at least once a day and i'm still interested
speeddemon
Champion
Champion

Postby XeroKhan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:53 am

I decided to go with a Weapon Master like hero. Here he is:

Edward Maddar

"The Hatter"

STR 3
STA 2
AGL 5
DEX 5
INT 0
FGT 6
PRE 3
AWE 3

Toughness +2
Fortitude +2 (+7 Great Endurance)
Dodge +18 (+23 Evasion)
Parry +18
Will +5

SKILLS 28

Acrobatics +9
Athletics +7
Close Combat +10
Expertise (Hat Making) +6
(Technology) +5
Insight +7
Perception +7
Persuasion +7
Ranged Combat +10
Sleight of Hand +9
Stealth +9
Technology +6

ADVANTAGES

Accurate Attack
All-Out Attack
Assessment
Defensive Attack
Eidetic Memory
Evasion 2
Great Endurance
Improved Aim
Improved Critical (Unarmed)
Improved Disarm
Improved Initiative
Power Attack
Quick Draw (Top Hat)
Takedown
Uncanny Dodge

POWERS

(Hatter's Quick Mind)
Quickness 10
~One Type: Mental
Senses 7
~Acute Normal Vision
~Acute Normal Hearing
~Analytical Normal Vision
~Rapid Normal Vision 2
~Rapid Normal Hearing 2

(Hatter's Top Hat)
-Easily Removable-
Damage 3
-STR Based
~Accurate 4 (+8 Attack)
~Homing
~Precise 4
~Ricochet
Deflect 10
~Distracting
~Reflect
~Redirect
Feature 1
~Internal Compartment
Immunity 10
~Mental Powers

COMBAT

Initiative +9

Close +6
+14 (Hatter's Top Hat)
Range +6
+14 (Hatter's Top Hat)
Damage +3 (Unarmed: 19-20)
+6 (Hatter's Top Hat)

Dodge +18 (+10 Evasion)
Parry +18
Tough +2

BIO

<Coming Soon>

Any feedback on the stats is appreciated.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby McHatin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:49 am

speeddemon wrote:Hmm, I'm thinking of giving him a group teleport spell if he's going to support, as that can help all the characters arrive at the same time
You don't need all the powers. You can save some spells for extra effort. If that's what you're worried about. Also, two arrays? I'll guess I'll have to wait and see before I pass judgment.

XeroKhan wrote:Any feedback on the stats is appreciated.
I'm not going to pass judgment until I see a background, but this doesn't look heroic at first glance. You have Expertise (Technology) and Technology, I think you can safely drop the Expertise version. I will not comment on the powers until i get story. Also it would be helpful if you put some totals down.
McHatin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

yeah, I will need time. Just scratch out Hatter, please.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby McHatin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Tell me, is there no market for a regular superhero game on Atomic Think Tank? Is it because I'm new and untested that people aren't flocking in droves? What can I do to make this look enticing? I'll answer anything!
McHatin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Sakuro » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Right now I'm mulling over some concepts.

The fact you are new to the forum probably does play a part in why there haven't been a lot of people submitting builds and voicing concepts.. People like to know you're going to stick around and see a game through. There have been some unfortunate experiances with GMs and players disappearing without warning.
Roll Call thread: Character Cache
Sakuro
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room