Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Villainous Games?

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Villainous Games?

Postby TempestII » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:47 pm

I'll run with a dark reflection of X-men: a squad of high PL mutants that scours the globe doing stuff.
TempestII
Cohort
Cohort

Postby roguescribner » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:54 pm

I've been sitting on a villains game idea for months. It's akin to a superhero The Italian Job. I never quite cracked it though, so it sits as a saved idea for me to look at later. I was iffy on launching the League game I'm running now, but luckily I have a co-GM to help me sort through it and get it off the ground.

The problem I kept running into was a) why are these people working together vs being a solo act? b) what could be a credible threat to them without being crazy ridiculous?, and c) what happens when the villains "win"?

There's being "bad" and there's being "evil" and I don't have any interest in running an evil game.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang
roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:28 pm

roguescribner wrote:I've been sitting on a villains game idea for months. It's akin to a superhero The Italian Job. I never quite cracked it though, so it sits as a saved idea for me to look at later. I was iffy on launching the League game I'm running now, but luckily I have a co-GM to help me sort through it and get it off the ground.

The problem I kept running into was a) why are these people working together vs being a solo act? b) what could be a credible threat to them without being crazy ridiculous?, and c) what happens when the villains "win"?

There's being "bad" and there's being "evil" and I don't have any interest in running an evil game.

a) Why work together? To gain more money/power than they could grasp working alone.

b) What credible threat? Superheroes, rival villains, the whole of law-enforcement - even the danger each villains plays against the united effort (betrayal).

It's a hurdle running such a game, but it succeeds the same way any rpg adventure does: with a measure of teamwork.
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Aye. The above reasons make good arguments to keeping the supervillain team, but as mentioned, it does get a little crazy if one of these villains is, say, a maniac like Joker to whom life is merely a giant game of Calvinball: you can never play it the same way twice. So, if a person makes one of those kind of villains, then the entire team would fall apart, especially if the chaotic psychopath filled an important niche in the team.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Walking Dad » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:33 am

Spectrum wrote:To expand a little on the 4th idea, inspiration ideas: House of a 1000 Corpses (Devil's Rejects was better), Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hills Have Eyes, etc. etc. etc. ad naseum.

Again, not my favorite idea but might be a fun quick flash in the pan.

The samples make the idea sound horribly. Why not like a kind of dark reflection of a fous super family/team, the Fantastic Four. I think the U-Foes are a great example for villains with family ties and common enemies working together.
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Spectrum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 am

It might be fun to play in a game inspired by Twisted Metal (without the vehicles)... I just don't know what that would mean at this point.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby ClassDunce » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:18 am

Just an idea...

The video of Captain Astounding, widely believed to be the worlds greatest hero, played for had to be the hundredth time but you still couldn't believe it. "He's coming. This Overlord with massive cosmic powers and an army of hundreds of thousands. He's coming to destroy us for no other reason than we exist.

You look around you, yet again, at the gathering of villains that have been placed inside the hastily thrown togwther rocket and launched into space towards this great evil while Captain Astound continued. "At the most we hope you'll slow him down. Giving us more time to ready our defenses. We know you will all likely die because of this and that none of you volunteered because we didn't ask. We knew it wasn't in your nature but the Earth required your sacrifice anyway..."

You turn away from the recording, which has been playing nonstop for the past month, with disgust not for the first time cursing astounding and all the rest of them for forcing this on you. You would meet the enemy soon and you don't expect to survive.

But you did survive. You and a few others not only survived you were victorious. You destroyed both the evil overlord and his entire army. You were even able to capture a small vessel and have began your return to earth. They're expecting an invasion but you're bringing revenge.

You're the last of the worlds villains but you'll just have to be enough.
"When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Quellcrist Falconer
ClassDunce
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 am

The above example is actually pretty solid. But why revenge, why not come back and be the returning Premiere Hero team, after all you just saved the world. Some of you may still be villainous, some of you may be trying to change your lives around, and committed to the change.

It's actually an interesting concept.
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 am

I concur with Zen. The concept is good. Gives the villains reasons to be villains, and puts a drive to it. It gives us the feel that we did something good, nd are still considered criminals. It has a reason for a tem, an the thought of being the LAST super villains adds to th mix. Of course that means we re pretty powerful, and it allows us to play varying character personalities, struggling to gain acceptance in a world that hates us, while try into get revenge from see so called 'heroes' that would sacrifice us. It's a bit like Ratman...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:08 am

In my mind, or how I would play a character in that scenario, is by outing the Heroes for sacrificing the 'villains' while they were too cowardly to do so. In essence beating them at their own game by becoming a hero. But I can see that others would want to go the revenge route, so it'd take some convincing to do, but it could lead to a hero team with an edge ... at least that's how I would present it to the players.

Plus apparently the characters would have a long time to hash out their plans on the ride back to earth ;)
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby EnigmaticOne » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:09 am

Hmm that is an interesting concept to try... hmm.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:11 am

I'll third that point as a really, really solid concept with a lot of different angles to play at. Plus, gotta admit I'm always a fan of 'us vs the world' kind of notion.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 am

While it may not (if it went down as I envisioned it) be an actual villainous game, it would be a unique shared back story amongst characters, and allow folks to play Authority-type hard edged heroes. And given that the entire world was almost destroyed by some extinction level event (perhaps started by a now deceased super villain) the world might be more willing to accept heroes who didn't pull punches.

While the Old Guard heroes would certainly be rivals, and trying to tear the players down.
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:15 am

Hmn... Question is, now what are the rules going to be? I figure it will most likely be 3e, but we still haven't figured out PL. and by the description, the villains would be about PL 10 at the least. We would have to be the 'greatest villains that the world has ever seen', since we actually survived the battle, and at e the last ones left. Thus, the 'heroes' would have to be of lower power level than us, seeing as we are the challenges they had to face, but now, they outnumber us, and though we can beat most of them one on one, we are now the few powerful villains against a world filled with several heroes of our level and lower...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 am

Also, if we're masquerading as Heroes, or some of us actually are trying to truly 'be' heroes, I think in our absence, new powered criminals would have sprung up, so it's more of an 'Us' vs Old Guard Heroes for the adoration of the public, and still allow 'Us' vs Super Villains to show up the Heroes. At least in my minds eye ;)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room