Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Villainous Games?

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Villainous Games?

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm

I wish there were more super-villain games right now. There's Kevin's but it seems to be non-recruiting. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the intent to start one, or if I should just focus on trying to run one myself... but playing feels a lot more fun! :p
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Villainous Games?

Postby dreamking89 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:20 pm

I wouldn't mind running one, if I had any confidence in my skill as a GM.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.
dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby MrMellow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:31 pm

How much evil can you handle before you have to lie down in a bright room with soothing music?
“That all men are equal is a proposition to which, at ordinary times, no sane human being has ever given his assent.”
MrMellow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 pm

MrMellow wrote:How much evil can you handle before you have to lie down in a bright room with soothing music?

If you're asking me, quite a lot.
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Did you have a PL or PP total in mind for this? I ask because I would suggest giving more points then the usual 15/PL. If your making a villain, you want to be able to be big and flashy. Its a chance to really get out there and let lose. That said, it also helps because unlike hero's, villains really need to be much more self sufficient.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I didn't say I was going to be GM'ing just quite yet. :p
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Another villain game would be fun to follow, but if this doesn't get off the ground, the Perfectibilists are always recruiting prospective "Free Spirits" - PM me with concepts, since I have space for a few more PC villains to replace upcoming NPCs.

Also, our group would require dedicated operators who can post at least once a day ...

Not trying to crash your thread, Enigmatic, but ... I'm a shameless prospector :twisted:
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby EnigmaticOne » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:17 pm

No worries, this was the sort of thing I was asking about. :D
Impeach the peach!

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Thread of my previous look at this kind of issue.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Kevin_MacTaggert » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Spectrum wrote:Thread of my previous look at this kind of issue.

Different.

I found running a villain game meant offering players exactly what they would want: The World.

Nothing dainty or whimsical, just ... everything. That and the challenge heroes present, in terms of taking their dream away from them. The Fight.

But, a lighter Villain Game would be fun and should be pursued, IMO.
Kevin_MacTaggert
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Spectrum » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Going back to my (much) earlier discussion, it isn't:

EnigmaticOne wrote:
MrMellow wrote:How much evil can you handle before you have to lie down in a bright room with soothing music?

If you're asking me, quite a lot.

It's how much evil can the boards handle before you get banhammered.

Edit to avoid double posting... go look for FATAL and start going through it if you want eeeeeeeeeeeevil. Heck, the game is more than most people care to get into, take a look at the reviews.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby MrMellow » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

Spectrum wrote:Edit to avoid double posting... go look for FATAL and start going through it if you want eeeeeeeeeeeevil. Heck, the game is more than most people care to get into, take a look at the reviews.

What's your anal circumference, sweet cheeks? :twisted:
“That all men are equal is a proposition to which, at ordinary times, no sane human being has ever given his assent.”
MrMellow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:30 pm

It's how much evil can the boards handle before you get banhammered.

It's the above idea that makes a good villainous game so hard to find. When most people see a villainous game, they run to make the most evil, bad ass, serial killing murderhappy idiot around. Evil doesn't see itself as evil. People don't just wake up and decide to do evil, they do evil for reasons.

A memorable villain, a memorable antagonist is one whom you, the reader, can sympathize with, or at least empathize with his motives. An excellent example is Magneto, he is protecting his people from those he views as their inferior, but those inferiors outnumber his people by so much he goes to extremes to defend them. Doctor Doom, Black Adam, Darth Vader, characters like that stand out because you take a noble emotion and crank it over 9000, and it becomes twisted ... BUT ... it started off as a noble idea, good intentions.

It's those characters who are memorable, not the psycho killers, or the lone wolves, or the ancient evil given human shape out to enslave humanity. That's just bad writing.

Did you have a PL or PP total in mind for this? I ask because I would suggest giving more points then the usual 15/PL. If your making a villain, you want to be able to be big and flashy. Its a chance to really get out there and let lose. That said, it also helps because unlike hero's, villains really need to be much more self sufficient.

The above is absolutely not true, a villain in a team of villains needs no reason to be more flashy than their nemesis the hero, in fact I feel a villainous game you would need to have your characters more reliant on one another to prevent them from getting at each others throats, if everyone is self sufficient, why work together at all?

Again, my opinion, and just a general comment on why I haven't seen a villainous campaign ever really work ... /shrug
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Mr.Sandman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:38 pm

The occasional pure evil being is ok but they usually turn out to just fight and kill. To run a good game roleplaying is needed to and they usually don't shine in that area. To play a good villain requires a good concept both in character and for the adventure. Villains are also often solitary creatures, if you do succeed in taking over the world who would want to share it? A good villain is Always convinced they are right which could cause a lot of conflict between villains.
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 am

Its hard to find any really good games where the main focus is to be evil. Most tend to get sidetracked or succumb to infighting. So if this game does get off the ground, I would be interested to join in.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Next

Return to M&M Game Room