Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

D&D: On Hold

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: D&D: No Humans Allowed! (OOC)

Postby Evolución » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:42 pm

IMPERVIOUS +1 COST PER RANK

A defense with this modifier is highly resistant. Any effect with a resistance difficulty modifier equal to or less than half the Impervious rank (rounded up) has no effect. So, for example, Impervious Toughness 9 ignores any Damage with a rank of 5 or less. Penetrating effects can overcome Impervious Resistance (see the Penetrating extra description).
Impervious is primarily intended for Toughness resistance checks, to handle characters immune to a certain threshold of damage, but it can be applied to other defenses with the GM’s permission, to reflect characters with certain reliable capabilities in terms of resisting particular effects or hazards.

http://www.d20herosrd.com/6-powers/modifiers
So Impervious 6 should be able to dish out the kobold's +3 dmg
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:44 pm

So since the one attack is a critical, making it 8 damage. He still needs 1 toughness roll, right?
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:48 pm

That's not the one I was speaking about. The one in Armor Powers just states that any effect below your Impervious rank is reduced by 1 degree if the Toughness check failed.

Example: Impervious Toughness 8 attacked by Damage 7 (DC 22). The result of the Toughness check is 5 (13). Normally two degrees of failure, but because of the rule, it is reduced to one degree of failure.

One degree of failure on the roll would be reduced to 0 (no effect).

That's my favorite, and what I'm using in More Than Human.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby whiteprofit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Different topic:
I'm trying to use redirect on the attacks that missed Liguria. I'm not sure I've ever used it before and am wondering if I needed to roll this before the attacks? It's also unclear to me what kind of action is required for this. It almost sounds to me like it's a free action as part of my defense.

I rolled a 25 and a 16 Deception (Trick) against their insight or deception checks.

Please advise me how to proceed so I can take the proper actions after any results. thanks. :)
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 pm

whiteprofit wrote:Different topic:
I'm trying to use redirect on the attacks that missed Liguria. I'm not sure I've ever used it before and am wondering if I needed to roll this before the attacks? It's also unclear to me what kind of action is required for this. It almost sounds to me like it's a free action as part of my defense.

I rolled a 25 and a 16 Deception (Trick) against their insight or deception checks.

Please advise me how to proceed so I can take the proper actions after any results. thanks. :)

I believe the move is used as a Trick, which is a type of attack by my read. You roll Deception and they try to resist with Insight/Will. If they fail, they fall for it. With Redirect, you are able to deliver the effect into another enemy.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Evolución » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:07 pm

I see, I'll roll that toughness (or both) depending on your chosen Impervious rule Hound.
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I like the idea that if the Damage is 6 or less, then the degree of toughness failure is reduced by one. So on a 1 degree failure, nothing happens.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Evolución » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:09 pm

ThenI hereby present you with both rolls:
[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3755694/]
25 and 26[/url]
Evolución
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:11 pm

You still shrug off both blows!
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby whiteprofit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Deception:
Deception is the skill of getting others to believe what you want them to believe. It covers things like acting, bluffing, fast-talk, trickery, and subterfuge.
Deception takes as long as it takes to spin-out your story. Uses of Deception in action rounds are generally standard actions, although you can attempt to deceive as a move action by taking a –5 penalty to your check.

Tricking:
You can use Deception to mislead an opponent into taking a potentially unwise action, such as trying to hit you while standing in front of an electrical junction box or at the edge of a precipice. If your Deception check opposed by Deception or Insight succeeds, your opponent is heedless of the potential danger and may hit the junction box or lose his balance and fall, if his attack against you fails. (On the other hand, if the attack succeeds, it might slam you into the junction box or send you flying off the edge. You’re taking a risk.)
More than one degree of failure on the Deception check means you put yourself in a bad position; you are vulnerable against the target’s attacks until the start of your next round!

Redirect:
If you successfully trick an opponent (see Trick under Deception in the Skills chapter), you can redirect a missed attack against you from that opponent at another target as a reaction. The new target must be adjacent to you and within range of the attack. The attacker makes a new at- tack check with the same modifiers as the first against the new target.

Here's all the text. What I'm confused by, I guess, is the "as a reaction" part in Redirect. I bolded all the lines about time.
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:17 pm

You were attacked by 2, and 2 missed. White profit, roll 1 deception check for me.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Ah! Missed that. Carry on, I'll keep out of it.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby EPIC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Tricking is used to force an opponent into context sensitive situations, but without Redirect, you can't make them 'accidentally' hit another enemy.

To use it, you must use Trick on your turn which is a standard action.

The Reaction it mentions is changing the target of the missed attack form you, to an adjacent enemy.

Short answer, you need to use Trick before the attack.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby whiteprofit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Hound wrote:You were attacked by 2, and 2 missed. White profit, roll 1 deception check for me.

I originally rolled two, the first is better anyway :)

EPIC wrote:Tricking is used to force an opponent into context sensitive situations, but without Redirect, you can't make them 'accidentally' hit another enemy.

To use it, you must use Trick on your turn which is a standard action.

The Reaction it mentions is changing the target of the missed attack form you, to an adjacent enemy.

Short answer, you need to use Trick before the attack.

This also sounds correct and is where the confusion comes... sigh.
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Eh. I prefer something look cool.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room