Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

D&D: On Hold

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: D&D: No Humans Allowed! (3E Recruiting)

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Mark Reuter wrote:Working on a half-dragon/half-wemic build. Not sure what class (but probably fighter or paladin depending if I can suss out the points)

sounds fine, though no emo "I don't belong anywhere" moments
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenmadragon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Ryan M. Danks wrote:Not meant to derail, but I figured anyone in a fantasy game like this might be interested in what I just discovered (although I'm probably late to the game and it could just be old news for you guys).

Elder Scrolls Online.

OMFG
I didn't know they were even thinking of this...Must now wait till a release date is set...My sword rests still in its scabbard, waiting for the day it shall be unsheathed in glorious battle, online.

EDIT: I have also edited my build (pun intended). It has solved the problem, and is my equivalent of a planetouched (demon) with LA 1 or 2 with levels in wizard (with the eidetic spellcaster variant) and warlock, and uses the Practiced Spell caster trick to meet the requirements of a prestige class that is normally out of reach until later levels. IE: Kitranis has the ability to do things most PL 10s rarely attempt, but I'm planning on him being a mean and conniving SOB that does know the meaning of the word Mercy, but just chooses to ignore it.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby whiteprofit » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Captain Liguria Orta - PL 8

Strength 1, Stamina 1, Agility 2, Dexterity 1, Fighting 2, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 3

Advantages
Assessment, Attractive (+2), Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 6, Favored Environment: Underwater, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative (+4/6), Improvised Weapon, Inspire, Leadership, Redirect

Underwater Only (Power): Attractive (+5), Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative (+8/10), Seize Initiative, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+7), Athletics 6 (+7), Close Combat: Ocean Warrior 7 (+9), Deception 5 (+8), Expertise: Nautical/Navigation 7 (+8), Insight 6 (+7), Intimidation 4 (+7), Perception 6 (+7), Persuasion 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Gun and Spear 7 (+8), Sleight of Hand 4 (+5), Stealth 3 (+5)

Powers
Breath Underwater: Immunity 2 (Environmental Condition: Deep Ocean, Suffocation: Drowning) [2pp]
Eyes and Nose: Senses 4 (Danger Sense: Ripples of Water, Extended: Scent 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Choose Sense 1: -1 speed rank; Limited: In Water Only) [2pp]
Half Fish: Swimming 3 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round) [3pp]
Member of the Ocean: Comprehend 2 (Animals - Speak To, Animals - Understand; Broad Type: Sea Creatures) [2pp]
Tail Slap: Strength-based Strike 5 (DC 21; Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Limited: Water Only)
. . Shark Like Teeth: Strength-based Strike 3 (Alternate; DC 19; Penetrating) [5pp]
Water Warrior: Enhanced Trait 8 (Advantages: Attractive, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Seize Initiative, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge; Limited: under water) [4pp]

Equipment
Coral Spear [Coral Spear: Strength-based Damage 4, DC 20; Penetrating, Reach (melee) 2: 10 ft.]
Coral Sword [Coral Sword: Strength-based Damage 4, DC 20, Advantages: Improved Critical]
Scaled Armor [Protection: Protection 3, +3 Toughness]
Single Shot Revolver [Single Shot Revolver: Blast 7, DC 22; Activation: move action]
The Darfunkle (Not in possession, no points spent)

Offense
Initiative +10
Coral Spear: Strength-based Damage 4, +9 (DC 20)
Coral Sword: Strength-based Damage 4, +9 (DC 20)
Grab, +9 (DC Spec 11)
Shark Like Teeth: Strength-based Strike 3, +9 (DC 19)
Single Shot Revolver: Blast 7, +8 (DC 22)
Tail Slap: Strength-based Strike 5, +9 (DC 21)
Throw, +8 (DC 16)
Unarmed, +9 (DC 16)

Complications
Enemy: Ship Stealers
Motivation: Get His Ship Back
Responsibility: The Darfunkle
Weakness: Dry and Arid

Languages
Common, (Merr and Sea Animals via Comprehend)

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/1, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 24 + Powers 18 + Advantages 18 + Skills 32 (64 ranks) + Defenses 28 = 120

Alright, a bit of a remake and a clean up of the sheet so it's easier to read. Changed back to PL 8, and dropped the extra points and paying for the ship. It's still listed, but with the complications and all, I figured it was better to drop it and use the 8 points to hit my caps.

Note that I traded defense and toughness for one and that none of my attacks come to full PL. The sword and spear attacks are +9 to hit but only do 5 damage each. This is why they have penetrating on them. The closest is the gun attack, but it requires a move action to reload. If this becomes a problem, which I do not foresee it being, I can modify it to a standard action or full round to fix it.

also the attacks are all equipment, but because they are custom hero lab likes to spit that information out int he powers section. Cleaned it up and changed the scales to scale armor also to save the points. Great suggestion.

Think that's it. Story to come.
Last edited by whiteprofit on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Hound » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Whiteprofit...

I know this is a draft... but... why is coral sword, and coral spear, and revolver all... natural powers if they are suppose to be gear by their description?

Hell, most of these could be regular equipment saving you dozens of points instead of spending them as powers.

Like wise, if it's a Scaled hide you can leave it as +2 protection, but if its leather armor, its much cheaper and still overs you +2 protection.

Also, your seer's map power is way too insane. I can't allow it, it would wreak half of my stories/quests

The Map is denied as is.

Next you have some advantages that are only usable while under water, since they are listed under powers, DO NOT list them under normal advantages, otherwise it gets confusing and hard to read/calculate.

It would also help a LOT if you listed the total PP you are spending on each power, to make sure you are doing math correctly at a quick glance.

We can worry about story later, first lets fix up the character sheet.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:47 am

another question about that. I see that he has a revolver...A Revolver. In a D&D style setting. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing close to 'guns' in D&D were the Forgotten Realms' arbalesques which were built by mad Gondish priests, and had a one in five chance of blowing up everything within 50 feet, and was a general pain to use and impossible to have since they were so incredibly dangerous, not just to the target, but to the firer...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:17 am

kenmadragon wrote:another question about that. I see that he has a revolver...A Revolver. In a D&D style setting. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing close to 'guns' in D&D were the Forgotten Realms' arbalesques which were built by mad Gondish priests, and had a one in five chance of blowing up everything within 50 feet, and was a general pain to use and impossible to have since they were so incredibly dangerous, not just to the target, but to the firer...

An excellent point, that said, I would consider an old school 1 shot hand gun that requires reloading after every shot. Reloading would be atleast be a move action.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby whiteprofit » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:06 am

I think a lot of those issues are because of the way Hero Lab spits it out. I'll check them all and clean up the sheet tonight.

Totally understand about the map, will adjust and come up with something else.
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:43 am

Done with app. Once I get to a computer with an auto correct that works, I'll fix the grammatical errors.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=20&p=1056265
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby EPIC » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:15 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Done with app. Once I get to a computer with an auto correct that works, I'll fix the grammatical errors.
http://www.atomicthinktank.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=20&p=1056265

You can't link and unlink a power with a feature. There are two ways. One is proper, the other os sketchy and tolerated.

If you read the full extra, a linked power set so you use one, the other or both, linking and unlinking the powers, actually increases the cost of all but the most expensive.

The other way is have linked powers in the array and powers that are not linked in tje same array. This is a highly sketchy way of doing it. Normally you would create an array of effects that are all linked to the power in question.

But as is, your build is errored.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenmadragon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Then how would you suggest I proceed? The eldritch theurge's signature ability is his ailing to lad his spells onto his eldritch blast, and use his EB and spells separately. As far as I saw it, this involved having a blast power and a magic array separately, so, should I just link the two permanently, then when I use an AP on my magic, I can just 'pull back' on my EB, since the rules allow one to 'pull punches', so when he doesn't wish to destroy what he hits with the EB, he just pulls back in the EB effect and allows the Linked Magic array to function. (Because its bad if I blast the thing my move object is levitating)...
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby EPIC » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:32 pm

I already said before. Use Varible, make your linked effects using that whem you need them.

I created a warlock class and got by just fine without all kinds of mods to Eldrotch Blast. Then, I was using the 4th ed warlock, but still, he was rocking pretty hard. I'd have subbed him here but Hound said no.
EPIC
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Plan B » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Background, added to Zardos.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby whiteprofit » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:33 pm

whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Hound » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

First, I want to thank you for cleaning up your character sheet.

It is so much easier to read.

A way to save on points is to have your weapons an "arsenal array" to reduce points. Take your highest cost weapon, and pay for it normally, then add the other two as an array for 1 PP each.

By my count the Spear costs 10 EP, the revolve costs 7 EP, and the Sword only costs 5 EP.

So the cost of your Spear should be the made, Revolver, and Sword costs 1 EP each in the array. The Revolver I recommend adding a single Improved critical to it, as well as offering the advantage Improved Aim. The Sword, should have an additional Improve critical from 18-20 to show it is amazingly sharp.

The array totals 12 EP points, your Armor costs 2 EP points, you have 1 spare EP point, and now only costs 3 PP for 3 Equipment instead of 6

This means you can only use one weapon at a time, but that is normal.

With the points saved you can take quick draw to change weapons as a free action. This also fits a "captain" character because, like Han Solo, he should be able to draw his pre-loaded weapon on the draw.

Also please change your flaw on your revolver to be "move action to re-load" this way you can have it loaded at the start of a fight.

Lastly, Here is an interesting picture, how does the guy on the right look for your character?

Lastly, I like the idea of your character in search of his stolen ship. You have two choices, you can come up with who stole it and why, or I can. I just really need some info on who he is and what his life was like before the theft.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Nineofspades » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Any thoughts on when your going to close recruitment? I don't believe I've seen an actual deadline, and I was just curious when we could start expecting the final tally of folks to be made.
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room