D&D: On Hold

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

D&D: On Hold

Post by Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:26 pm

I am now recruiting for a D&D flavoured game.

This will be 3E, players will start at PL 8. They can Choose to be PL 7 and gain 15 PP. Depending on interest, I have no yet decided who many players I will select for the game.

Here is the story:
The D&D world.

1000 years ago, on a world with a Pangaea form(with some small islands), Humans were the dominant race. They were quickly becoming over crowded, infringing on the other races homes. They were rude, over bearing, and constantly at war, either with themselves or some other race.

With few exceptions, the other races hated them, but could do nothing to stop them, as they were greatly outnumbered.

It all changed when the Demon Council arrived. From a hell dimension, hundreds arrived through a portal that a Lich had created. They contacted the leaders of the other races and made a deal. Their demonic horde would combine forces with all the other races, strike down the humans.

The demons would gain the Human capital, and the humans would become their cattle, their food source. All the other aces would be able to use them as slaves, beasts of burden.

The demons would cause no trouble for the other races so long as a tax was paid. A modest 10% on all sales and trade.

The other races saw the power of the demons, and knew they could not say no. Despite some of the races actually like humans, they agreed.

A great war happened... but eventually the humans were enslaved.

Now... you are a mercenary in a world were humans are no better than "cows." Herds of humans are sold every year to the Demon Capital as food. Some farmers place quantity over quality providing a "McDonalds" level of human. Some provide "Kobi Beef" level of human quality.

Some slavers train humans to be farm hands, or the like. But humans do not learn to read, they do not learn math, it is forbidden.

All races pay tribute to the Demons, in exchange, the Demons have provided technology for paved roads, advanced free healers in every city. No one dies from simple sickness or infections anymore. They provide proper schooling for all races up to the age of 13. (Except humans of course)

The Goblins are the next richest race, they are at the heart and soul of every business transaction. (Think Ferengi from Star trek) The Goblin Trade Federation is the strongest business around.

Some races, like Gnomes and Elves treat their human slaves with a decent level of kindness.

Races like Gnolls, and Centaurs are cruel, and beat them.
This game is NOT a game to liberate humans, and destroy all demons.

This game is to live in this world and enjoy adventures. You are a group brought to together to quest, and accept jobs. Your personal goal can be anything. The Search for profit, ancient relic, knowledge, adventure. What ever reason you are brought together.

Rules of this game:
Any race found in the D&D game is acceptable, except humans.

You can be any class, or combination of classes, but remember if you spread yourself too thin you wont be very effective.

Powers are extremely limited. This isn't a super hero game, this is a fantasy game. So you have to have powers that make sense.

You play a dwarf, you are expected to be sturdy, strong balance, thick skinned, an iron stomach, skilled at some craft, and be able to see in the dark. If you are a Dwarf Warrior it makes no sense to fly.

Classes can have magic, but try not to have too have an insane number of alternate powers.

Half-orcs will from now on be known as "Bloodrage" orcs. They are smaller, and smarter than standard Orcs, but they are "full blooded" just the... next step.

Human hybrids will not be disallowed, however having human blood will be extremely looked down upon. You will find it difficult to do any business what so ever. I recommend against it.

When creating a character, make sure to clearly define which powers are "racial" and based on real D&D lore, and which powers are clearly "class skills/abilities"
If you have any questions I will try my best to answer as swiftly as possible.
Last edited by Hound on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: D&D: No Humans Allowed! (3E Recruiting)

Post by Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 pm

There are Common Magical Items which can be purchased in stores, or obtained at character creation...

Like "Magic Cloak" Device, hard to remove, wearable by anyone, +1 Doge, +1 Parry, +1 Fort, +1 Will, +1 Toughness, (5 PP, -1 for removeable) 4 PP in total.

If a device has more than 10 PP's, try and come up with a good story/reason behind it.

Do not go overboard and have a dozen magical items, or you will be asked to change.

There are "exotic" magical items, these can be VERY powerful, and are only obtained through role play.

Lastly there are magic crafted one time use items

These can be things created through artificer, inventor, alchemist, or some other Advantage "trade" that allows you to make an expertise roll related to the device. You gain the item for one scene, and it is a one time use item.

This one time use item can not have more than 5 PP's in it.

Example: "Potion of Bull's Strength" For a single turn, gain +4 Strength(+1/r, limited to damage(-1/r). Feature, can break caps(+1/r), free action to drink(+1 flat PP ), Limit, Only one potion per combat can be used, drinking a second potion in combat can result in death due to overdose of magic(-1/r). Total 5 PP.

For every 1 PP in a crafted item, it costs 50 in game gold to make.

Players start with 100 gold to their name.

~~~

Skills are very important. Things like expertise[apraise] for example. To know the value of an item or to haggle.

Instead of inventor you can take alchemistand roll apothacary expertise to create temp potions.

Get creative.
Last edited by Hound on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Bladewind » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Dibs on an Arcane Archer (sorcerer/ warrior type)!

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Bladewind wrote:Dibs on an Arcane Archer (sorcerer/ warrior type)!
Going to make the elven ranger we talked about. I'll endeavor to make it different from an Arcane Archer.

Kind of tempted to play something more...evil, since that is usually anathema in D&D games.

EDIT: Actually, I'm in between two characters: a Shifter Ranger or an Elven Bladesinger (swordmage-ish).

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 pm

How would cleric or druid powers work? At PL 8, that's pretty powerful, D&D wise. Limiting magic items seems a little anti-D&D. Perhaps limiting the pp in magic items might make more sense. Relics are rare; magic is not. Also I have a problem with wizards losing all their powers if their spellbook is taken. What about the spells they already have memorized?

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:12 pm

Mark Reuter wrote:How would cleric or druid powers work? At PL 8, that's pretty powerful, D&D wise. Limiting magic items seems a little anti-D&D. Perhaps limiting the pp in magic items might make more sense. Relics are rare; magic is not. Also I have a problem with wizards losing all their powers if their spellbook is taken. What about the spells they already have memorized?
I agree, to a point, but I'm not the GM (caveat to my statement there :wink:). I think the mages (wizards and sorcerers) are getting hit twice here. They are limited in number of spells they can have and they can only use them 5 times per day. At this point, daggers are more useful in a prolonged fight.

I don't have a problem with the spellbook being taken away, in fact, I like it. Although, maybe the Wizard could memorize one or two spells that he can use without the need of a spellbook? The limited uses per day feels too vancian for my tastes.

As a side note, can I build a ranger with subtle nature powers (commune with animals, purify water, etc. typical things we see Aragorn or other LotR rangers do)?

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm

It is true, it is hard to find a proper balance concerting one system to another.

Wizards by the very rules of DND have to study every day to cast. Which means, for some odd reason, they can never, ever memorize a spell for more than 24 hours.

Kind of weird, I know.

If you want to play a wizard, learn to stay far from warriors, keep a meat shield in front of you. Take skills to reduce the chance of being disarmed.

If you want to memorize spells, be a sorc, cast them on instinct.

I will removed the limited per day requirement. I just added the so many spells per array, so we dont have a caster with 25 alternate spells.

and yes, a ranger with commune with animals, purify water are okay.
My Characters

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Image orImage

Elven Bladesinger or Shifter Ranger. I have decision paralysis. Any preference?

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Mark Reuter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 pm

So anyone stealing the wizard's spellbook can cast spells? What happens if and when we fight another wizard and take his spellbook? Can we start casting spells from it? Could our wizard add more slots to his/her array?

kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Post by kenmadragon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 pm

OK, I'm thinking Fae elf ranger/druid, a sort of way finder nature mage. Bit like an elven forest warden, but more magicky than tracky.

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Mark Reuter wrote:So anyone stealing the wizard's spellbook can cast spells? What happens if and when we fight another wizard and take his spellbook? Can we start casting spells from it? Could our wizard add more slots to his/her array?
I think it would be more like a multipoint Quirk: Requires Spellbook.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Mark Reuter wrote:So anyone stealing the wizard's spellbook can cast spells? What happens if and when we fight another wizard and take his spellbook? Can we start casting spells from it? Could our wizard add more slots to his/her array?

Well in the D&D world its written in magical mumble jumble so normal people can't cast with it. So spell Books should have "can not be used by anyone else" feature.

If a wizard desires it soo, he could memorize spells like a sorc, but that generally means they are very old, very wise, and have been training for a very long time.

Soo.... ya.

I a going to take out the sorc/wizard spell limits/book thing. See what people submit, and if it ends up being too over powered, I will ask them to change it in PM's to something less over powered.
My Characters

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 pm

How does this sound?
There are Common Magical Items which can be purchased in stores, or obtained at character creation...

Like "Magic Cloak" Device, hard to remove, wearable by anyone, +1 Doge, +1 Parry, +1 Fort, +1 Will, +1 Toughness, (5 PP, -1 for removeable) 4 PP in total.

If a device has more than 10 PP's, try and come up with a good story/reason behind it.

Do not go overboard and have a dozen magical items, or you will be asked to change.

There are "exotic" magical items, these can be VERY powerful, and are only obtained through role play.

Lastly there are magic crafted one time use items

These can be things created through artificer, inventor, alchemist, or some other Advantage "trade" that allows you to make an expertise roll related to the device. You gain the item for one scene, and it is a one time use item.

This one time use item can not have more than 5 PP's in it.

Example: "Potion of Bull's Strength" For a single turn, gain +4 Strength(+1/r, limited to damage(-1/r). Feature, can break caps(+1/r), free action to drink(+1 flat PP ), Limit, Only one potion per combat can be used, drinking a second potion in combat can result in death due to overdose of magic(-1/r). Total 5 PP.

For every 1 PP in a crafted item, it costs 50 in game gold to make.

Players start with 100 gold to their name.

~~~

Skills are very important. Things like expertise[apraise] for example. To know the value of an item or to haggle.

Instead of inventor you can take alchemistand roll apothacary expertise to create temp potions.

Get creative.
My Characters

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Sounds cool.

There seem to be a lot of ranger/archer ideas floating around, so I'm going to go with an Elven Bladesinger (swordmage/warrior-sorcorer multiclass).

Will have something up tonight or tomorrow.

Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Post by Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 pm

Quick question: do you have anything against the Eladrin as a class, or do you prefer only elves and separation of the race? I think they would make a better fit for the bladesinger, if they are part of your world.