Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Interest Check(3E)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Interest Check(3E)

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:37 am

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read my interest check.

I have two ideas that I have been writing for the last couple of months, and I would like to propose both of them, and see if either of them interest the board.

The first idea I have was meant for D&D however I have been unable to find a group in the area to GM for, so I have converted it for play here.

The D&D world.

1000 years ago, on a world with a Pangaea form(with some small islands), Humans were the dominant race. They were quickly becoming over crowded, infringing on the other races homes. They were rude, over bearing, and constantly at war, either with themselves or some other race.

With few exceptions, the other races hated them, but could do nothing to stop them, as they were greatly outnumbered.

It all changed when the Demon Council arrived. From a hell dimension, hundreds arrived through a portal that a Lich had created. They contacted the leaders of the other races and made a deal. Their demonic horde would combine forces with all the other races, strike down the humans.

The demons would gain the Human capital, and the humans would become their cattle, their food source. All the other aces would be able to use them as slaves, beasts of burden.

The demons would cause no trouble for the other races so long as a tax was paid. A modest 10% on all sales and trade.

The other races saw the power of the demons, and knew they could not say no. Despite some of the races actually like humans, they agreed.

A great war happened... but eventually the humans were enslaved.

Now... you are a mercenary in a world were humans are no better than "cows." Herds of humans are sold every year to the Demon Capital as food. Some farmers place quantity over quality providing a "McDonalds" level of human. Some provide "Kobi Beef" level of human quality.

Some slavers train humans to be farm hands, or the like. But humans do not learn to read, they do not learn math, it is forbidden.

All races pay tribute to the Demons, in exchange, the Demons have provided technology for paved roads, advanced free healers in every city. No one dies from simple sickness or infections anymore. They provide proper schooling for all races up to the age of 13. (Except humans of course)

The Goblins are the next richest race, they are at the heart and soul of every business transaction. (Think Ferengi from Star trek) The Goblin Trade Federation is the strongest business around.

Some races, like Gnomes and Elves treat their human slaves with a decent level of kindness.

Races like Gnolls, and Centaurs are cruel, and beat them.

You are thrown into this world. You can be a hero, you can be a villain.

The only rule is you can not play a human. I am thinking of starting the game at PL 4 or 5. Your can only own mundane equipment, no devices, no magic items. All powers have to be "natural" to your race.

So for example, if you are an Elf, you can have super senses to increase your hearing, you can naturally be resistant to some magic effects. All powers like this should have "innate" in them.

Unless you are a wizard, sorc, or other magic caster, you probably wont have much in the way of Powers, mostly spending it on abilities, skills, and advantages. If you are a caster you must clearly represent what school your magic is from incase you enter a null zone for that type of magic.

Players will earn free devices to represent earning magical items. You will also earn PL's fairly quickly early own until around PL 8 or 9, to show level growth. Players can change the world, or just earn money. Its up to them.

Second Idea

This one is a bit unusual.

The players will wake up on an island. They will have no idea how they got there. This game is heavy on role play, light on combat. The goal of the game is to survive, and find out why you were brought here.

Slowly players will discover they have gained a super power(only one, will explain)

Strange things will happen. You will start to feel like you are in a horror movie.

For this game, players will private message their history and complications to me, posting only their stats for the others to see.

It will be up to players to tell others about themselves, or keep it to themselves. Additionally, I will talk with those I select, about adding a few... interesting things to their characters to... spice it up. There will be NPC's that also wake up on the island with you.

How it will be built.

This game will be pl 4, 5, or 6, and pretty much stay there. A few PP's will be handed out, some players may earn expertise in a few skills as they practice them. For example, someone might learn how to fish, and gain a few points in that.

Powers will be the key thing. You must play a single... "arch type"

For example, if you choose to be a "Strong man" your arch type is really simple. You gain a bit of enhanced strength, you can have a bit of enhanced stamina, or protection(tough skin) but that's pretty much it, maybe a few points in leaping, but nothing too extreme or different from that.

You might be a telepath, so you can have mind read, mental communication, and that's pretty much it.

No one can have a transportation power that will get them off the island. If you want fly, it will only be level 1 or 2, so you will get tired long before you make it to mainland.

Please let me know which game, if any sounds appealing to you.

I look forward to your response.

Thank you again for reading.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Interest Check(3E)

Postby TempestII » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:48 am

I'd be interesting in playing an elf wizard in the first scenario. Maybe a half-elf - someone of conservative values overtly, but secretly a revolutionary.
TempestII
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 am

The second one sounds fun. I would be willing to play.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby timothy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:05 am

The first sounds extremely intriguing.
Here comes the Dog!
Stong and brave!
Here comes the Dog!
The day he will save!
timothy
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Cold Steel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 am

i like the second one.
"Fortune favors the stupid!"
Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Postby kenmadragon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 am

As a D&D player. I can't resist the temptation to choose the first. I'm thinking a Fae elf ranger/druid. A sort of pathfinder or wilderness guardian. Thoughts?
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:12 am

The second sounds the best to me, but it's a little too mysterious at this point to pull from the more action sounding first proposal. Maybe you can hint at future action or badness? Right now it reads like a season of Survivor with powers. It's an interesting concept though, so I'm intrigued.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr.Sandman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 am

3.5 was where I got my start so D&Dish would be my choice. Maybe a Gnoll or Hobgoblin sorcerer or sorcerer/ rogue multiclass.
Mr.Sandman
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Cold Steel » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 am

The main problem i see with the first idea is the "Planet of The Apes/1984" syndrome: the world does not want to be liberated as it were.
"Fortune favors the stupid!"
Cold Steel
Cohort
Cohort

Postby whiteprofit » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm torn. I would lean toward the second one, but its a hard game to sell. Especially against the action of the first. However I'm worried the first may be too individual. Is there a thread and story arc that will tie the players together?
Family of Supers -Kit Andersen/ GravityBoy!
whiteprofit
Titan
Titan

Postby Spectrum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Gotta admit, my first character thought on the first idea is a fat goblin bastard that deals in the human slave trade and finds creative ways to abuse his personal slaves- rather than the ones that he intends to sell.

I think that we can all see where that could be problematic on multiple levels.
Spectrum
Titan
Titan

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Cold Steel wrote:The main problem i see with the first idea is the "Planet of The Apes/1984" syndrome: the world does not want to be liberated as it were.

This ^

If it could be overcome though, I'd play an elven ranger (first choice), dwarves warrior or Minotaur berserker.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Cold Steel wrote:The main problem I see with the first idea is the "Planet of The Apes/1984" syndrome: the world does not want to be liberated as it were.

For this game the players are a group of adventurers or mercenaries looking for jobs, the game will start in Gold Sprocket, one of the largest goblin run cities.

Players can have their own motives for living the life of a paid adventurer. This is not a liberate the humans game. This is a live in a world where demons own a city, are paid tributes and humans are slaves.

You can play a goblin rogue who's only concern is profit. You can play a gnome wizard looking for rare tomes. You can be a Drow necromancer looking for an ancient evil artifact.

But for what ever reason you are in this group of adventurers.

Ryan M. Danks wrote:The second sounds the best to me, but it's a little too mysterious at this point to pull from the more action sounding first proposal. Maybe you can hint at future action or badness? Right now it reads like a season of Survivor with powers. It's an interesting concept though, so I'm intrigued.

Okay so with out giving up too much... Npc start dying, disappearing, strange stuff happens, your group is at the core of the problems and you wont even be able to tell who is trustworthy

Players will receive green cards at character selection, this is a term I made during my D&D games.

Lets say you pick a soldier, well I might make a part of the history, that the soldier accidentally killed a friendly during an exercise, leaving them with PTSD.

You might be a lawyer, and I might send you a green card saying you stole food last night because you were hungry. The next day the players will know food is gone but not who did it.

Or it might be an NPC who did it. You won't know until you investigate.

I will constantly cause trouble for the group. You will have to deal with it.
Last edited by Hound on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:33 pm

That description makes me really like option 1 (again preferring an elven ranger but would take a dwarven warrior or minotaur berserker), however, that description of how play will commence in option 2 is intriguing.

I'll submit to either one equally.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Hound » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:50 pm

In my mind this is how it would sort of be built...

As an Elven ranger, what you would most likely have would be something like...

Racially you would have something like... Extended Vision, Extended Hearing, Maybe Accurate Hearing, maybe Low-Light Vision. Immune to Sleep Spells(1 PP) (What ever you can find in general lore that makes sense)

As a ramger you would have... Super Movement: Trackless (maybe a few other movment things)

You would probably have a side kick animal, for example a wolf.

You would be heavy on advantages, benifits, and skills.

You would own a basic Bow, ranged 3 damage, for 6 Equipment points.

You would earn things like devices, "Bow" and it would have ranged 3 damage, multi attack. Or improved critical, or magic homing arrows.
My Characters
Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Next

Return to M&M Game Room