Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Legacy of War - OoC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League

Re: Legacy of War - Recruitment (Closes 10/15)

Postby Mark Reuter » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:22 pm

I understand. I won't have time to rework him so I shall withdraw from consideration.
Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 am

Well, Monday is pretty much over. There was very little competition here, so I'll post up the cast and we can get down to it. We got the bare minimum for running this, so if anyone drops, I'm afraid the game may flounder. At the bottom of this post I have information for any newcomers, or those who didn't make it in, to try and be part of the group. Unfortunately, for what I have planned, we can't do this with less than four.

Luckily, we have four (almost) acceptable characters.

Tarkus - Plan B
We're missing any kind of backstory, which is understandable, since there is a lot that you (especially you) have to do with the story and it's hare to write for that. See about writing up a personality description though, so we at least know what kind of knight he is.

Kroonin - flynnarrel
We've already gone over this. You're good.

The Magus - kenmadragon
You still need to remove the equipment from the robes, you're getting a discount twice there. If you want to buy it as equipment, then you need to put it as a normal advantage. If you want it to be part of the robes, it is essentially part of the magic and needs to be bought as a Device. I understand what you want to do with it, but as the robes are just a storage space, they need to be bought in a way where you're not getting the Equipment and Removable discounts at the same time. I'm also still worried about your survivability, a +3 Toughness in a game this low level is almost a certain 2nd or 3rd degree failure half the time or more (the weakest villain I have has a +3 Damage). You will be attacked, don't think Tarkus's meat shield will save you from that every time.

Galowyn Rend - bi0phillia
Can you put some cost numbers in your powers section so I don't have to add everything? Would really help. The only big problem I can see is in your backstory. It's been beaten nearly to death in this thread, but every character must be born in the village. Please read the opening post on pg. 1 for more details on how an elf is born in this particular human village.

Going to give everyone until tomorrow night or so to make the above corrections before I start in on the game.

For those who didn't make it, we're still short a few classes (look at the original post to see what we're missing and how you can fill the spots). The cast above is all that is necessary though, so if you create a character it doesn't automatically guarantee you a spot. You still have to have your character up to snuff, as it were.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Plan B » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 am

Ryan M. Danks wrote:Tarkus - Plan B
We're missing any kind of backstory, which is understandable, since there is a lot that you (especially you) have to do with the story and it's hare to write for that. See about writing up a personality description though, so we at least know what kind of knight he is.

I see him as been a over confident and a little naive and idealistic. A little over the top, a bruiser with a heart of gold.
    Insert witty comment here.
Plan B
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby bi0philia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:59 pm

hmm, well, there was a post mentioning the characters being 19 or something to that effect. I was operating off the d&d assumption that elven starting age is somewhere over 100, if it's not that way it's fine, should i make it so he's around the same age as the others?
bi0philia
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 pm

bi0philia wrote:hmm, well, there was a post mentioning the characters being 19 or something to that effect. I was operating off the d&d assumption that elven starting age is somewhere over 100, if it's not that way it's fine, should i make it so he's around the same age as the others?

Yes. Elves live longer but they reach adolescence at the same time. They may not have a coming of age type of thing into their 50's or later in elven lands, and your parents could have thought it strange to do it so soon, but they are now in human lands and decided to take on their traditions.

That could be one explanation, anyway.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby kenmadragon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:18 pm

Huh. In most fantasy RPGs, like 3.5 dungeons and dragons, the elves actually grew at the same rate as humans till they were physically mature at eighteen, then just stopped growing while their minds developed to become adults...I guess whatever works for the setting is cool.
kenmadragon
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm

kenmadragon wrote:Huh. In most fantasy RPGs, like 3.5 dungeons and dragons, the elves actually grew at the same rate as humans till they were physically mature at eighteen, then just stopped growing while their minds developed to become adults...I guess whatever works for the setting is cool.

I have a general rule of thumb to try and avoid what D&D says as often as possible. :)

The thing I really used to have an issue with was the idea that elves minds took so long to mature. You'd think they'd never become wizards if it took them over a century to learn the basic functions of acting as an adult. I like to look at it similarly to vampires - they mature at an early age and become badass the older they get. This is a dangerous setting though, so even elves older than a hundred are fairly rare outside of the Sylvan forest (and even then, most don't see 200 because of physical danger).
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

Okay, so apparently my Bard never had a chance...
But I will not be deterred!! If I can not be a bard, I will be a Rogue!!

http://darksouls.wdfiles.com/local--files/armor-sets/aset_thief_male.jpg

Umnir the Grim PL6
Hair Color: black
Eye Color: blue

Abilities: 28pts
STR:1 STA:1 AGL:4 DEX:3 FGT:2 INT:2 AWE:1 PRS:0

Defenses: 17pts
Ddg:7 Par:6 Frt:6 Tgh:5/1 Wil:5

Skills: 27pts
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Close Combat (Dagger) 1 (+9)
Deception 10 (+10)
Expertise (Streetwise) 12 (+14)
Ranged Combat (Darts) 5 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 12 (+15)
Stealth 10 (+14)

Advantages: 17pts
Close Attack 6
Hide in Plain Sight
Benefit 1 (Cipher)
Defensive Roll 4
Move-By Action
Equipment 3
Improved Trip
Jack of All Trades

Equipment: 15pts
Dagger: Damage 3 - 3pts
Darts: Ranged Damage 4, Multiattack - 12pts

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed +8: Close, Damage 1
Dagger +9: Close, Damage 3
Darts +8: Ranged, Damage 4, Multiattack

17+27+17+28=90pts

EDIT1: Had an extra advantage. It's all good now.
EDIT2: I am such an idiot. I thought that Defensive Roll gave you +2 per rank. I've fixed it.
Last edited by Harry Ham Bone on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ryan M. Danks » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Harry, build looks pretty good at first glance, but I really need to see a backstory on your characters. I'm more of a free form player and could even run a game without stats, but I can't do anything without a background.
Ryan M. Danks
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Okay, how about this:
When Umnir was a child, he was very mischevious. He constantly stealing things out of people's pockets, and hiding in places to scared them. This behavior and skill captured the interest of Artemis Stern, an agent of the royal espionage society, the King's Couriers.

On the Day of Choosing, Umnir was confronted by Artemis and was asked if he wanted to be her apprentice. His father, being a poor carpenter, and wanting a better life for his son than his, gave Umnir full permission to travel with Artemis to the royal capital of Paladin.

Now, ten years after he left, Umnir returns with his teacher, who has become a sort of surrogate mother to him because his real mother died of illness when he was just an infant, to his town of birth. He had studied and trained over the years in the skills of an acrobat, an assassin, and especially a thief, and has even been given the ironic nickname of "The Grim" because of his un-mercenary-like chipper attitude. But this new mission bears a fog of mystery, as even his beloved teacher won't tell him why they are returning to Redmont Barony...

There!! Would something like that have helped my bard's chances?
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:18 pm

How do you get to Toughness 5/1?

you have 17 advantages, not 16
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:39 pm

You know what? While I'm at it, I might as well write a story for my rejected Bard too!

During the last attack against Redmont Barony, Celdun Larke's family was killed by the invaders. The young boy was taken in by Wilhelm Willow, keeper of the Weeping Willow Tavern and his elvish wife, Inwa.

Inwa knew of a special kind of music. An enchanted kind of music that stirred the soul, and could inspire greatness, or induce terror. She taught this music to Celdun, and made him a lute to play on. When the Day of Choosing came, Celdun decided he wanted to become a tavernkeeper, and to bring joy and hope to people with his songs and tales.

Now, he acts as the Weeping Willow's bard, entertaining guests and leading in drinking songs. He also has a great deal of respect for women, and often goes out of his way to ensure that any maiden, fair or otherwise, enjoys their stay. In fact, he's taken a fancy to the taverkeeper's daughter, Elora. However, the winds of change are blowing through the Weeping Willow, as two hooded figures arrive one night...
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

flynnarrel wrote:How do you get to Toughness 5/1?

you have 17 advantages, not 16

It's with Defensive Roll.

Also, thank you for pointing out my extra advantage. I'll rectify that ASAP.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Your Stamina is 0, with defensive roll 4, wouldn't that make your toughness 4/0?
flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Harry Ham Bone » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I added 1 to my toughness under defenses.
Harry Ham Bone
Groupie
Groupie

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room